Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The need of ghost.exe on spanning discs (Read 5720 times)
je79ayps
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The need of ghost.exe on spanning discs
Jul 1st, 2008 at 6:26am

Hello

I've created an image (with 2003) of a computer that resulted in 3 Ghost files. 2 files around 2 GB and 1 file around 1,5 GB.

I'm wondering if it would be "enough" just to make a bootable DVD with ghost.exe with the 2 files of 2 GB and then start the Ghost installation with this and then place the last file on DVD for it self.

Would it require the last DVD to have ghost.exe on it also? Or does ghost.exe load in memory somewhere to the installation can continue when I insert the last DVD when Ghost ask for the last file?

Jimmy

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Re: The need of ghost.exe on spanning discs
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 8:38am

Well, in my view the ghost will load itself in memory and you can remove the DVD 1 and insert dvd 2.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:11pm

je79ayps wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 6:26am:
Hello

I've created an image (with 2003) of a computer that resulted in 3 Ghost files. 2 files around 2 GB and 1 file around 1,5 GB.

I'm wondering if it would be "enough" just to make a bootable DVD with ghost.exe with the 2 files of 2 GB and then start the Ghost installation with this and then place the last file on DVD for it self.

Would it require the last DVD to have ghost.exe on it also? Or does ghost.exe load in memory somewhere to the installation can continue when I insert the last DVD when Ghost ask for the last file?

Jimmy

I've said this every way that I can think of and the answer is always the same.  Ghost knows exactly what it has done and where it's done it.
(unlike many of us).  
If it makes a backup to DVD's, for instance, you cannot move those files to a hard drive and expect Ghost to still use them. It won't.
It knows the difference.  Wink
If you're making the Ghost backup from a floppy disk to a DVD, Ghost will offer to put an image of the floppy on the first DVD of the backup set. NOT on subsequent disks.

It won't even offer to do that when you're backing up to a hard drive.

Leave the files exactly where Ghost puts them.
You can also tell Ghost with a command line option, that you want it to split the backup into 4.7gig files to fit snugly on DVD's.

I believe that Ghost 8.3 and Ghost 11 will do this by default.

Good Luck,
Cool

IP Logged

je79ayps
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 6:23am

OK, thanks for your help!

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 7:28pm

In almost any situation, there's always a "BUT".

Let's say I just made a Ghost backup to a second hard drive in my PC and it resulted in three files. The file sizes were 4 gig, 4 gig and 1 gig.

The hard drive I saved those files to is needed elsewhere and I need to get those Ghost Image files off of that HD.

Ok, I can COPY them to three DVD's for storage.
I said "STORAGE".... as the files are NOT usable from the DVD's.
Somehow, Ghost knows where it put those files in the first place and it will expect to find them there, if and when it tries to restore them.

Sometime later I'm able to replace that first HD in the system and restore the GHO files to it.  I simply copy them back to the HD and from there Ghost can restore them if need be.

Ghost Knows! Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

je79ayps
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:28am

OMG, I didn't know that. I thought that Ghost didn't care about which media it was restored from. I have a lot of images that was created on a hard drive and then later burned to DVD's.

I need to test this!  Shocked

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 6:23pm

Normally when I make a Ghost image, I put the files where I want them to be, with NO thought of moving them any place else.  Why would I?

If you just boot up Ghost from a DOS boot disk and write the output to a DVD, there's NO reason to move it any place else.  It's already in the most SAFE and useful place.

But, let me know if you prove me wrong. 
I've been wrong before, and it only hurts for a little while.  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print