Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Access denied when booting from Ghost map drive disc (Read 4247 times)
ghostnet
N00b

This space left blank
by reason of insanity

Access denied when booting from Ghost map drive disc
Jul 18th, 2008 at 11:13am

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting access to a drive from a Ghost map drive disc. When booting I accept the user I told it to use and then enter the password. I then get the following:

Error 5: Access has been denied.

This happens 3 times and then dumps out to an A prompt. During these logon attempts the boot process tells me "For more information, type NET HELP 5." Typing this gives you the following:

Error 5: Access has been denied.
Cause: The file is marked read-only, or an attempt was made to access a shared resource such as a subdirectory, a named pipe, a device, or a semaphore.
Action: Do one of the following; then retry the command.
1. Use the ATTRIB command to change the read-only attribute.
2. Coorect the filename.
3. Wait until the file is available.

Of course this is of no use whatsoever.

I've created the share and made a special user for this process. I've also given said user full control from both the Sharing and Security tabs. At first the share was hidden, but I've now removed that, thinking that might be the problem. I've also used the FQDN and the shortened version, both with no luck. I've also tried using another "super" user with the same results.

Apparently this is a permission problem, but I don't see how I could give the intended user any higher permission than full control. Is there something else that needs to be done? I've followed the Ghost Boot Wizard and it asks/requires nothing more than a user name, domain, and the share path.

Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

ghostnet
N00b

This space left blank
by reason of insanity

Re: Access denied when booting from Ghost map drive disc
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 11:15am

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that this was Ghost 8 Corp.

IP Logged

ghostnet
N00b

This space left blank
by reason of insanity

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Well, I found out why it's not letting me connect. Apparently I would need to change my network security, a la lan manager authentication level. That's not about to happen on a production AD network of about 1800 users.

But, I'm still working on this from a different angle and will post the workaround. If it works that is.

IP Logged

ghostnet
N00b

This space left blank
by reason of insanity

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:55pm

OK, the workaround was removing a station from the domain, joining its only little workgroup, and then changing the settings with the files on the disc to point to the computer in the workgroup. (Or I could have re-ran the boot disc wizard, but this was quicker.)

Seems to be working just fine now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print