Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SBS 2003 & Ghost 2003 hang together (Read 4047 times)
sttrm
Ex Member

SBS 2003 & Ghost 2003 hang together
Jul 4th, 2008 at 10:28pm

I am trying to create an image copy of our SBS2003 using Ghost 2003 (question #1- is this a good idea). After the server booted into DOS mode, the copy operation hanged up. The greator problem is now I can not boot the machine back into normal server mode. I did succeed in getting into recovery mode using the install disk but do not know which file to change to bypass going into DOS mode (question #2).  Any help greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: SBS 2003 & Ghost 2003 hang together
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 3:59am

Quote:
(question #1- is this a good idea)

It all depends on what you're doing with the machine, and what you're trying to recover. Imaging tools like Ghost are the best thing going for bare-metal recovery, but for recovering data in databases there are better solutions overall which can take you right back to the point of failure (Ghost has a part to play in that process by restoring an image which gets the host OS and any other backup software you're using ready to restore, to reduce the downtime).

[ In Symantec's product line, probably the right product to consider is Backup Exec for Small Business Server. ]

However, Ghost 2003 is pretty old. The newer versions of genuine Ghost in Ghost Solution Suite (not the Norton Ghost product line from version 9 onwards, which does not actually contain Ghost) is very much worth considering, although unfortunately we haven't been allowed to package it as a single-machine backup product and so it's less convenient to use.

Quote:
I did succeed in getting into recovery mode using the install disk but do not know which file to change to bypass going into DOS mode (question #2)

The process of getting out of the Virtual Partition is documented in the Ghost KB, the linked article is the preferred method since if it works it takes care of everything - if it fails some of the other articles go into more elaborate procedures.

The big question, of course, is why you didn't get back from the virtual partion - most of the time, the reason is that the BIOS firmware in your motherboard has a bug that causes problems with the PC-DOS environment used by Ghost. You can try arranging for Ghost to use MS-DOS instead (it's a little more compatible with buggy BIOSes than PC-DOS is) and see if that works better.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: SBS 2003 & Ghost 2003 hang together
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 12:02pm

In my initial tests of Ghost 2003, years ago, I didn't like the transition from windows to DOS and back again.  It just seemed doomed to failure, as witness by "Sttrm".

Since then I've never installed Ghost on my PC.  I always run it from a DOS boot disk, and yes, I find MS-DOS much more useful and forgiving, than any of the other so-called DOS versions.

In fact, to make my current Ghost boot disk I started off with a boot disk made on my Windows ME PC.  
{ Windows Millennium [Version 4.90.3000] }

After stripping that ME boot disk down to its basic OS plus the CD drivers, I added Ghost.exe, Mouse.com and my own custom Ansi-Color menu and cleanup batch files.  It's now good for Ghosting any HD with any OS from DOS to Vista.  (well, not so much with Vista  Wink  )

Just a thought!  Roll Eyes

The Shadow  Cool

Hmmmmm, where'd my Smileys go? Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print