Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003:  Actual file size is less than reported size, ignore? (Read 14318 times)
sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Ghost 2003:  Actual file size is less than reported size, ignore?
Jun 30th, 2008 at 4:34am

Using Ghost 2003, I've begun getting a message that stops the creation of the drive image until I respond.

"Actual file size is less than reported size, ignore?"  What's up with that?

I choose to ignore and the imaging process finishes.  The integrity check passes.

Since the image is passing the integrity check, all is well.  But, since the message stops the imaging, I have to sit and wait for it to pop up...something I haven't had to do in all the years I've been using Ghost 2003.

Also, just prior to the message, in what I'm going to call an information bar at the very bottom of the Ghost DOS GUI, is a phrase that reads, "Warning: Next cluster not eof".  I'm guessing eof means, end of file.

Things I do prior to imaging:

I whittle my primary drive size down by dumping the recycle bin and check to see if there's any applications I can uninstall since I'm right a the limit of fitting everything onto a single 4.7 GB DVD.  (I haven't studied how I might span bootable DVDs when writing them with Nero.  Spanning DVDs within Ghost doesn't work on my machine.  My best memory is Ghost doesn't like my NEC 3520 DVD writer.)

The last thing I do is defrag the drive with Norton Speed Disk.

Am using a boot floppy and running Ghost from DOS

Am using highest compression so I can fit the image onto a single Bootable DVD.

-Joe

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Ghost 2003:  Actual file size is less than reported size, ignore?
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 1:35pm

The messages mean exactly what they say, basically. Things aren't right with one of your partitions.

Ghost is complaining because the directory of the FAT partition being imaged says the file is one length; however, the file itself isn't as big as the directory entry says. In FAT, the allocation table itself is a linked list and the linked list hits an "end of file" marker too early, indicating that there's no place on the disk for the file data that the directory entry says should exist.

Since the directory entry and the allocation table aren't consistent as they should be, Ghost interprets this as a sign there's probably some damage in the filesystem due to something like an improper shutdown. You need to inspect the affected file to see whether it's been damaged.

Run CHKDSK, and it'll probably find the file Ghost is complaining about and give you the option of repairing it (where "repair" means either fill the end of the file with zeroes, or delete it because it's corrupt).

Quote:
The last thing I do is defrag the drive with Norton Speed Disk.

If you are using FAT filesystems, since Ghost restores a FAT filesystem partition it defragments it anyway, so you really don't need to do this.

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 9:52pm

I appreciate the reply, Nigel.  I'll follow up by reporting the fix, hopefully.
No more defragging before imaging for me.  That's a time saver!

-Joe

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:09am

i realize ghost defrags on a RESTORE, but doesn't defragging make it easier for the hard drive to CREATE the image? .. i.e. less junping around of the read/write heads .. to retrieve file fragments scattered around the disk.

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 1:38am

The follow-up:

Well, somehow the problem was fixed.  Ghost imaged without a hitch.

I kind of had to go online for some CHKDSK schooling.

From a cmd prompt, I ran "chkdsk c: /f /r" without the quotes...both options at the same time, fix and recover.  That scheduled a disk check on the next restart.

I wish I knew what occurred:  a bad spot on the drive, a corrupted file due to a bad shutdown or a restart when the power blinked during a thunderstorm.

But, I couldn't see indication of the problem or what was fixed in the Winlogon file found in Administrative Tools > Event Viewer >Application.

Thanks again, Nigel, for your good help.

-Joe

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 2:29am

sumrica wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 1:38am:
corrupted file due to a bad shutdown or a restart when the power blinked during a thunderstorm

Probably one of those events, yes; FAT is susceptible to them, whereas NTFS is not. NTFS can potentially lose a small amount of data in a file being modified at the time, but the actual structure of the filesystem itself typically won't be corrupted by it because there is a recovery log. In FAT, the filesystem structure itself can get damaged quite easily.

It won't be a problem with the drive itself; the error-recovery done by the firmware in modern disks tends to mask minor developing faults on the disk surface (until they become nasty and unrecoverable, anyway) and in this particular case when the filesystem metadata is out of sync it's a classic symptom of shutdown-related corruption.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 2:43am

Rad wrote on Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:09am:
but doesn't defragging make it easier for the hard drive to CREATE the image? .. i.e. less junping around of the read/write heads .. to retrieve file fragments scattered around the disk. 

To a tiny degree, but then you have to bear in mind that the defrag process itself has to do VASTLY more work. At a minimum, it has to do all the same jumping around that Ghost would do, so logically it can't possibly save time overall unless you were planning to do one anyway, and since to reorganize things it introduces a full read and write cycle on all the data being moved, and a truly enormous amount of head movement in that process, in reality it's not helpful at all to the imaging process for classic Ghost.

It's a reasonable thing to defrag occasionally, of course, and if you're used to doing it around the same time as imaging for process reasons there's no reason to stop. The point is that Ghost itself doesn't care whether you do that or not and there's no need to defrag solely for its sake and never has been.

It's one of those things like deleting the pagefile that a bunch of folks do, but that's because they've never actually tried a controlled test and noticed that the pagefile makes no difference to the size of the image (they just see it in Explorer and assume it must be taking up space even though it never, ever has).

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 4:14pm

If you're running your HD in FAT-32 like I do, and you're cleaning up your HD with batch files, like I do, adding one more line to delete the pagefile "ain't no big deal" and adding one more line to delete all the old restore points doesn't take much time at all, but can seriously impact the size of the data you're backing up.  Also there are a lot more folders that can be dumped to save space.  All the temp files, prefetch files, cookies and history files add a lot to the size of your backup.  I just delete them all. Wink 

Defrag?  Make your Ghost Image file and then use Ghost to verify ("Check") it and then do an immediate restore.  Your HD will be re-written in perfect order with NO spaces between files and NO fragmentation.
NO defrag program anywhere can do any better, and would usually take much longer too.  I'd never let Norton's Speed-disk anywhere near my PC.
When that program first came out, years ago, it was destroying HD's all over the world.  If you must defrag with a program, Windows Defrag is probably the safest program you can use.
But to repeat....If you're using Ghost anyway to back up your system, also use it to defrag the same system. 
You'll love the results!!!  Kiss
I sure do!!

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print