Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help - upgrading laptop hard drive using Ghost 10 (Read 5411 times)
mikeg
N00b

I Love Radified!

Help - upgrading laptop hard drive using Ghost 10
Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:50pm

I'm planning to upgrade my laptop hard drive to one with more disk space.  I've already purchased the new drive and have a copy of Ghost 10, which I'm hoping will do the trick.  Note that I've never done this type of thing before and it will be my first time using Ghost, but I feel pretty confident I can get it done -- just don't want to start down the road without having a clear understanding of all the steps.

At a high level, this is what I'm hoping can be done:
a) Using Ghost, make a full disk image of my existing drive and copy this image to a (separate) USB2.0 external drive.
b) Shut down, remove battery, etc. and remove the existing hard drive from laptop
c) Install new hard drive in laptop
d) Start computer, booting off of Ghost 10 CD, with external drive connected (I've already validated that Ghost 10 has the drivers to work with my external drive)
e) Recover image to new internal drive

Will this work?  What am I missing?  Do I need to change any of the BIOS settings?  Does it matter that the drives are not identical in size?

Here are a few relevant details about my system:
- WindowsXP SP3
- Ghost 10 installed
- 60 GB internal HD with single NTFS partition (C:)
- Upgrading to 120 GB internal HD (also wondering if there is an easy way to add a partition or two during this process, but perhaps I should take on one challenge at a time)

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

p.s. - if this information has already been posted somewhere, I apologize for the duplicate thread.  I have searched and haven't come across it yet.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Help - upgrading laptop hard drive using Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 6:53pm

Mikeg, there are several guides in the FAQ section of this forum that guide you through the process:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176321672

I would suggest a slight modification of your approach, but read through the Radified Guide other other threads in the FAQ.

Instead of "make a full disk image of my existing drive and copy this image to a separate usb2.0 external drive", I think you should create an image backup-file using the backup function of Ghost to the separate external usb2 drive.  Maybe that is what you meant.  I wouldn't use the disk-copy (clone).

After that is complete (check verify option when backing up), shut down your pc, remove old laptop drive, install new blank/unformatted/unused hard drive.  Boot from the CD, tell Ghost to restore my computer from external usb2 hard drive folder containing your backup-image-file to your new internal laptop drive.  Then shut down, remove cd, and boot xp.

Are you sure you have only one partition on your laptop?  Look in XP Disk Management screen to be sure.  Many laptop vendors put one or more hidden partitions on a laptop (used for diagnostics and restore), and if they are there, that complicates the entire process.  Make sure before you proceed.

After you are done, you will have to use a partition manager program to enlarge the 60 gb partition to 120.  There are several software programs that will manipulate partitions.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

mikeg
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:30am

John - Thank you for the guidance.  I think I'm almost ready to go.  I also found and read the following post, which agrees completely with your instructions: http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1139345103

I do have one follow-up question.  In attempting to verify that I have only one partition, I used both suggested methods: Windows Disk Management and the Norton Ghost "PartinNT.exe" utility.  Disk Management seems to confirm that the C:\ drive is my only partition.  However, the Ghost utility shows an additional un-named and unallocated space of only 7.8MB.  Is this a hidden partition?  Is it something I need to worry about?  (I've attached a screenshot of the Norton result.)

Thanks again for any additional insight.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 8:52am

mikeg wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 2:30am:
However, the Ghost utility shows an additional un-named and unallocated space of only 7.8MB. 

That unallocated space is NOT a partition, but just unallocated space.  Not a problem and everything looks normal.  When you finish with your upgrade you should see 60GB of your primary c: drive and another 60GB of unallocated space.  You will need to use a program such as Partition Magic by Symantec or Partition Manager by Paragon (there are others including some free ones but I haven't used them myself).  The partition utility will expand your c: partition to fill the drive.

In addition to the instructions from that link, I like to perform a chkdsk just to make sure the original partition is in great shape.  Do that before running the Ghost backup.

Open command prompt,
chkdsk c: /f
reply y to question of do you want it to run at restart time.

Then restart your pc, and the chkdsk will run at startup.  If you want to you can also run the Windows XP defrag (or other defrag utility) which will help optimize the drive.  Then take the Ghost backup.

Good luck.  Let me know how it goes.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:58am

I forgot about it but there is an option on the restore called:
Quote:
Resize drive to fill unallocated space

Automatically expands the drive to occupy the destination drive’s remaining unallocated space.

If you haven't already done the restore, try that.

You should also choose: Set drive active (for booting OS)

IP Logged

mikeg
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 10:36am

John - Thanks for all your help.  I performed the upgrade yesterday and it seems to have worked like a charm.  I did not see your last message in time, so was unable to allocate the extra space on the new drive.  Nor did I set the drive to active.  I hope this does not cause me a problem of some kind.  If so, can I simply perform another restore?

For the unallocated space, I will pick up a copy of Partition Magic (do you recommend any particular version) and fix that.

Thanks again.  This forum has been extremely helpful.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 11:32am

mikeg wrote on Jul 12th, 2008 at 10:36am:
I performed the upgrade yesterday and it seems to have worked like a charm.

Did the new drive book into XP ok?  If so, then Ghost automatically set the drive to active, so you don't need to do anything else.  Did the Disk Management show the empy space?

If you want to try and let Ghost fill/expand the space, you can boot from the Ghost Recovery CD, go to the Utility options, and I think there are options there to delete partitions on your new 120 gb drive.  You could delete the partition, and then recover the backup again, and check the "expand the drive".  That would be an inexpensive way to do that.

Otherwise Norton Partition Magic 8.0 is the one I have used.  Create a boot cd and use that to expand the partition.  (FYI, Vista has an expand feature partition built in...nice touch.)

IP Logged

mikeg
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 7:46pm

John - I used Partition Magic to allocate the free space and I think I'm all set to go.  The drive is fully expanded and set to active.  Everything looks good.  Thanks again for all your help!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 8:46pm

Congratulations.  Glad everything worked out first try!

After any major reconfiguration, it's a good idea to run
chkdsk c: /f
from the command prompt.  That makes sure all the disk pointers are set.

Don't forget to take regular Ghost 10 image backups to your external usb2 hard drive.  That way, if you have a hardware or software disaster, you have a fresh/current backup.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print