Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ubuntu Linux Desktop v8.04 (Read 81634 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ubuntu Linux Desktop v8.04
Reply #45 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:22pm

Interesting:

Quote:
Workstation 6.0 incorporates the Importer wizard from the VMware Converter product.

Using the Converter Import wizard enables you to convert a physical Windows machine into a virtual machine and convert a virtual machine from one VMware virtual machine format to another. You can also convert virtual machines or system images from the following third‐party vendors into a VMware virtual machine:

�� StorageCraft images (.spf files)

�� Microsoft Virtual PC 7.x and higher (.vmc files)

�� Any version of Microsoft Virtual Server (.vmc files)

�� Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery—formerly LiveState Recovery (.sv2i files)

�� Norton Ghost images 9.x and higher (.sv2i files)

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:25pm

Rad wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 7:52pm:
Can you run multiple VMs from a single "instance" of VMWare, or does/would each VM (say for example .. Ubuntu, Solaris & CentOS) need their own .. what am I trying to say? .. their launch of VMWare workstation?

You can run them either way. The stripped-down UI in Player just runs one VM in a Window, since that's that it's for. Workstation has a bunch of UI modes in which the VMs can run tabbed together, or you can run separate instances, or you can view tiny preview windows of all the other VMs, or you can run them all completely headless and use something like VNC to connect to them (VirtualBox can do this too). What's really nice is that the built-in VNC server is done by the hardware emulation layer in the host, not by something installed in the guest, so you even via VNC get to remotely see the VM rebooting and can edit the virtual machine's BIOS settings and the like.

Rad wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 7:52pm:
Says 3 million ppl use VMWare. Is this statement true?

It certainly seems reasonable to me.

VMWare is far and away the leader in terms of breadth of their offering and rock-solid product stability (Microsoft's Virtual Server is also very good, since the original Connectix product was after all the leader in this a decade ago). Leaving aside specialized virtualizers like the Solaris ones (Solaris being a heavy hitter in some important markets), those two are absolutely proven and plenty of critical business infrastructure around the world runs on them. Look at things like VMotion and you'll see why virtualization is big in the data center (the other critical thing it gives being reduced energy consumption, power supply and HVAC being increasingly important aspects of data center costs).

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:30pm

Rad wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 8:22pm:
Interesting

Well, those have been discussed here before. It's not really surprising because the StorageCraft and V2i engines work the same way, they are just dumb sector cloners (that do their fancy work at restore time) and so their image files are just bags of disk sectors almost exactly the same as Microsoft's .VHD or VMWare's .VMDK disks are. Since VHD and VMDK have been doing snapshots and differencing for many years, the differences between most of these formats is really pretty minimal (except for a layer of compression in the case of V2i and Storagecraft; VirtualBox also includes a compressed virtual disk format).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #48 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:26pm

Regarding the
virtualization
aspect of this thread, I started the following new thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1217557479

IP Logged

LoTGoD
Radmeister

Black eyes...broken fingers

Ohio

Reply #49 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 11:43pm

Darn you Rad...

I too am posting from 8.04...

I saw your post on Ubuntuforms.org.  I followed Kevbert's advise, and sure enough, my Broadcom BCM4318 is now working.

I dig how you can leave thanks to someone for helping you out.

I had to take it a step further than you, as I use WPA-PSK encryption, with a non-boradcasting SSID.

All is well. Smiley

WWW lotgod  
IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #50 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 2:15am

Glad everyone was able to get Ubuntu working.  Going to be installed Kubuntu myself soon (LinuxMCE, acutally) so I'll get a good review of what you are facing.

Anyway, let me know if any questions come up about general use.  I'm happy to try to help.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print