Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Errors Ghosting Sata drive (Read 1940 times)
r6ironman
Ex Member

Errors Ghosting Sata drive
Aug 14th, 2008 at 10:28am

Hello all,

New member here.  Seems like this is the best place for me to find help with my issue.  I wil try to give as much revelant info as I can.

I have a Lenovo T61 laptop with a Sata drive that I am trying to Ghost with and image that I have successfully created and used before.

I am using GSS.  (The version shown in the Ghost Boot Wizard is 11.0.1.1533)

I boot into Ghost using a flash drive and created an image and saved it to an external HD connected via USB.

In the BIOS on these Lenovo machines you have the option to select either compability or ACHI mode for the SATA drive.  I have left it in the ACHI mode for creating and restoring the image.

I know the image is good becuase on several machines where I have had to reload the image it works with no problems.  With other machines (All T61's) with a replacement HD, the image loads fine with no errors, but when I reset the machine it will not boot into the OS.

I get two different error messages:  One, it does not see the OS at all.  The hard drive is seen but it bypasses the HD becuase it does not see the OS.

I took the HD out and formatted it, creating a new primary partition the size of the HD, tried the install again and basically got the same error.  This time is gives he a message that say your machine could not start due to a configuration issue.  (Not the exact error.  Going from memory.)

I am chosing local-Partition-From Image when ghosting.

These are new HD's and I have tried more than one.  I am thinking the problem way lie in the way the drive is formatted or partitioned, but maybe someone her has seen this issue and knows what I need to do.

Thanks

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Errors Ghosting Sata drive
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 5:57pm

I've not worked with this specific model myself, but something I have heard of in regard to many new Lenovo models is that they appear to have decided to use a special custom MBR for their factory disks, and this MBR is a multi-sector one; Ghost is likely not preserving this special nonstandard MBR correctly by default.

You can try imaging using the -ib switch to ensure that Ghost captures and restores the entire boot track of the source disk, if you want to preserve Lenovo's custom boot system. Alternatively, you can try using gdisk /mbr to replace the custom MBR with a standard one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print