Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to "Unidentify" a hard drive (Read 2625 times)
Revenant
N00b

How to "Unidentify" a hard drive
Aug 15th, 2008 at 5:13pm

Ghost 2003, version 2003.793.

So, I made the mistake of trying to image an NTFS drive to an external USB NTFS drive.  As soon as Ghost rebooted into PC-DOS and tried to start, it crashed with Error Number 29004 "Read sector failure, result = 1, drive = 2, sectors 6291519 to 6291521."

Aside from whether or not I want to try to be able to use this USB drive for backups, the problem now is that Ghost crashes every time, even when I direct the image to my internal hard drive (where there are previous Ghost image files).

When I was first going through the Ghost screens to try to use the USB drive, Ghost directed me to the "Add Ghost Disk Identification" wizard, and I "identified" the USB drive.  So I assume that now that the USB drive has been "identified," Ghost tries (and fails) to access it even if that drive isn't the intended destination of the backup image.

How can I "unidentify" the USB drive, so that at least I can continue to use the internal drive to create backup images (and restore from the images already there)?  Sad

Not that I think it will help, but FWIW, I've attached the error log.

IP Logged

Revenant
N00b

Re: How to "Unidentify" a hard drive - Update
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:32pm

File this under "Ghost" is the appropriate name.

My experiences above were running Ghost 2003 using the Windows GUI and then re-booting to PC-DOS.  

I made a Ghost startup disk following the suggestions from El Pescador in http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1074372353  The first time -- nothing.  So I checked the box to assign drive letters and this time it worked.  Not perfectly (even though the mouse driver said it loaded, my USB mouse was completely dead) but I could still use the tab, arrow, and enter keys to navigate.

It even was able to start an image to the USB drive, but I quickly realized that making a 36.5 GB image file (not too much compression from 45.5 GB "used" on the source disk) would take forever using USB 1.1.  I aborted that job, rebooted again with the floppy, and was able to successfully make an image to my secondary internal drive and then re-ran Ghost one more time with the floppy to verify the image.

On top of it all, I rebooted to Windows, ran the Ghost 2003 Windows GUI to make an image to the internal drive and this time, when Ghost rebooted to PC-DOS it worked (again with no mouse).

The only possible peculiarity is that the Ghost jobs initiated using the recovery floppy didn't create a log file, at least not one that's visible through the Windows GUI.  Because I haven't typically used a Ghost recovery floppy disk to make images before, I don't know if this is normal behavior or not.

I have no idea what happened here, but things -- so far -- seem to have turned out OK.  Cool

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: How to "Unidentify" a hard drive
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2008 at 9:22pm

Since day one, (1997) I've never run ghost from a GUI.
From what I've read in this forum about all the problems that people have, I'm sure That I've been on the right track.

Ghost 2003 is a DOS program, so why not run it from the very best DOS disk that you can come up with? Roll Eyes

I'm a tester and an innovator and I just didn't like the results I got from Dr.Dos, PC-Dos and any other dos I tried, till I finally put Ghost on a floppy that I formatted on my PC running Windows ME.
I can add all sorts of little DOS commands from ME to that disk to make it far more usefull.

And, when I copy that floppy to a Flash Drive, I can add all the more utilities to it making it an all-around HD support TOOL.
I've added FDISK, Format, Edit, Scandisk and NTFS4DOS, to name just a few.  With a Bootable 1gig Flash drive, the options are almost limitless.

When ME formats a floppy, it puts CD drivers and a bunch of junk on the disk.  I stripped off everything but the three system files and the CD driver file, then wrote my own
config.sys
and
Autoexec.bat
files to load the CD drivers and Mouse.com which I also add to the disk along with my custom Ghost Options Menu.
(Ghost runs much easier with a mouse than without one)

I'm sorry to hear that so many are still having problems figuring out how to best run Ghost, because for me it's a piece of cake.
I'm always glad to be of help to anyone I can, on a one-on-one basis. Wink

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print