Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Symantec LiveUpdate running out of schedule (Read 12554 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Symantec LiveUpdate running out of schedule
Sep 19th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Hello all!

This question is not for Nigel ... Undecided ... Wink ... :

I noticed that LU 3.2.0.68 was not running according to schedule (the default 240 minutes) but approximately every 60 minutes. I uninstalled LU 3.2.0.68 and installed LU 3.4.1.234 but it's the same. Does anyone know why it runs out of schedule? It's a bit annoying on a "slow" computer.

(I noticed that 3.2.0.68 runs the first time after booting + 5 minutes but 3.4.1.234 runs the first time after booting + 15 minutes. Maybe that's in order to not "conflict" with Windows Automatic Update.)

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Symantec LiveUpdate running out of schedule
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 11:48am

what file are you getting version # from?

i looked at luall.exe and my version number says: 3.4.0.162

i admit it *does* seem as if live update wants to update more than necessary, tho i have never timed it.

i throttle my live updates by making it ask for permission in zone aalarm every time it wants to connect to the internet.

most of the time i deny permission.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 1:34pm

Rad,
you can check the LiveUpdate version by initializing a manual session, in the first window choose options > about.

The file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Log.LiveUpdate displays the most recent sessions and LU version (open as *.txt document).

I have set the interval to 1440 minutes (24 hours) to see what happens.

Christer

Edited: With that setting, I expect it to run when the computer is started but not again until 24 hours have elapsed or the computer is restarted.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 3:14pm

Christer wrote on Sep 21st, 2008 at 1:34pm:
you can check the LiveUpdate version by initializing a manual session, in the first window choose options > about.

we must have different versions of live update, cuz i see no 'options' in my live update windows .. only 'help' in the upper-right (which opens a help file), and 'privacy policy' lower-left, which takes me here: http://www.symantec.com/about/profile/policies/luprivacy.jsp

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 3:49pm

I have a quick launch icon pointing to C:\Program\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE but it can be run by double-clicking the *.exe. I get the attached window. (Sorry but my version is localized, swedish. The greyed out "Alternativ" means "options" and then you can click "About LiveUpdate".)

Changing the update interval changed nothing. The last LU session was finished at 20:33:46 GMT and the preceeding LU session was finished at 19:28:04 GMT. I can't help wondering why they give the user the option to set the update interval but obviously introduce "something" that overrides it.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 4:40pm

Christer, as an FYI, LUALL.EXE does not exist in Norton Internet Security 2009.  LiveUpdate runs “continuously” in a “pulse mode,” silently and effortlessly downloading and installing updates.  It is very, very nice.

Of course, you can manually invoke LiveUpdate through the Norton Internet Security console, if you wish.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2008 at 5:24pm

Pleonasm,
as far as I know, LUALL.EXE has nothing to do with the vintage of the programs it updates. It comes with the LiveUpdate installation and I suppose the versions differ a bit. Of course, each Symantec program installs a version of LiveUpdate but it is a separate program which identifies which Symantec programs are installed and sets itself to get the updates for them.

In my case, with Norton Ghost 2003 and Norton Utilities from Norton SystemWorks 2003 which I still wanted since they still work fine with my old BOAC (Box Of Assembled Components), those programs had to get updates from the archive server when I did a clean installation of XP SP3.

Quote:
LiveUpdate runs “continuously” in a “pulse mode,” silently and effortlessly downloading and installing updates.

That seems to be the case but

Quote:
It is very, very nice.

not on my old BOAC. It doesn't need the processor running at 100% every hour or so ... Roll Eyes ... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:59am

I noticed the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\2008-09-22_Log.ALUSchedulerSvc.LiveUpdate and it clearly indicates that the user preference is overridden.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 6:49am

I've read up a bit on the new 2009 line of products and the new LiveUpdate has received a lot of bells and whistles to make people aware of its advantages but not much information on it. Is the new LU integrated in the specific program or is it still a stand alone program that identifies which Symantec programs are installed and sets itself to get the updates for them?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 10:48am

Quote:
Is the new LU integrated in the specific program

Yes, in the sense that you can manually invoke LiveUpdate through the main console for Norton Internet Security 2009 (NIS09).  However, with the new “streaming update” capability, there seems to be little reason to run a manual invocation of LiveUpdate.  Symantec has moved toward the Diskeeper “set-it-and-forget-it” model, especially in so far as security scans now take place automatically when the PC is idle, thereby eliminating any impact upon the user.

Quote:
is it still a stand alone program that identifies which Symantec programs are installed and sets itself to get the updates for them

No, as far as I can tell, there is not a separate executable for LiveUpdate with NIS09.  Since the only Symantec application that I have installed is NIS09, I can’t say how the new LiveUpdate in NIS09 updates other utilities (e.g., Norton Ghost 14).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print