Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Safe Backup Power for your home. (Read 10317 times)
TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Safe Backup Power for your home.
Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Every year, hundreds of people are killed by fumes from home generators.
While many more people sit in the dark when there is a line power failure.

A workable solution to both situations is a Battery Backup System.
Commonly called a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) battery backup systems come in all shapes, sizes, capabilities and costs.

Most of us are familiar with the emergency lighting that we see on the walls of businesses, banks, etc.  Well, those are a type of UPS.  Then there are the small UPS's the we see in the electronics stores, that offer backup power to a home computer.  Those usually are only good for a few minutes of backup power, due to the very small batteries they use.

But what to do when you need backup power for a longer period of time?
Well, you can pay thousands of dollars for a factory made system or set about making your own.  Being basically a poor boy, I selected the latter.

I was given a 600w APC brand UPS, by one of my customers.  The batteries had failed in the UPS and had begun leaking out on their carpet.  They just wanted it OUT of the building.  I was glad to oblige.  

I was elated to find out that the UPS was still in working order.
Instead of buying another Gel-Cell battery for the UPS, I elected to go another route.  I bought two car batteries at Wal-Mart and put them in a plastic dish pan.  Then I wired them to the UPS with some extra wire I had laying around.  Some battery cables, also from Wal-Mart connected the two batteries in Parallel.  Then a 30A inline fuse from an electronics surplus store finished off the hookup.  Total cost....less than $100.
Here's the battery pack that I created for my 600w UPS:

The yellow wire is the POSITIVE lead going to the UPS, while the black wire is the negative lead.

I've found that the battery charger built into the UPS is sufficient for recharging the batteries after a use.  This UPS is set to turn on any time that the line voltage sags below 105vac.  I hear it click on for a few seconds several times a day.  
Where I live, line power is not the most reliable or consistent.  

So before you have to ask, "What do you do with this UPS?", I'll tell you.
I use it to back up my 25" TV, my Satellite TV Receiver, my DVD recorder, a small table light and a 10" personal fan.

For my computer, I have another "Cyber Power" UPS that will give me about 18 minutes to shut down programs and turn off the PC before the battery goes below operating range.  I have a similar UPS for my Satellite ISP Modem and wireless router.  I just bought another Cyber Power UPS for my service bench.  

So when there's a major power failure, I still have my TV and TV-Satellite Receiver, light and a fan.
But what to do when I get hungry?  None of my UPS's are powerful enough to power my 1000w Microwave oven, toaster, blender or electric can opener, or even my Mr Coffee.

So I came up with another power source that is heavy duty enough to power everything in my kitchen, except the Fridge. (but, not all at once)
This unorthodox looking setup is what I came up with.
It's a 1750watt Inverter that I picked up at the local truck stop and two Deep Cycle batteries....once again, from Wal-Mart.
I set the whole mess on a four wheeled movers dolly for portability.

This type of emergency power supply is ideal for apartment dwellers, campers or for
any-time
and
any-place
AC power is needed where line power is not available.  Total cost, about $450.

I keep a small trickle charger on these two big batteries to keep them fully charged.  
This setup is almost identical to what's used in large motor homes for emergency AC power.  Except, in a motor home, the inverter would be more like 3000w and the batteries would be four or more 8D batteries.

Inverters and UPS's for home use do not produce a sinusoidal wave form, required by some devices like induction and capacitor start motors, like the ones found in refrigerators and air conditioners.

For those devices that require an true AC Sine-wave, there are special, and more expensive, UPS's and inverters available.  Some can be seen here:
http://www.campsitevideos.com/xantrex.html

Well, that's my story!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Safe Backup Power for your home.
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:31pm

Sorry, I ran out of space in that post. Wink Grin Grin

For those who have never seen a UPS before, here's the one I just bought for my service bench.

It's really a very simple little box.....with battery backed up sockets along one side and Surge Protected (only) sockets on the other side.
On one end there is a surge protector for your phone line and a USB socket where you can connect a USB cable to your PC for the battery monitor software to keep track of the charge remaining on the batteries.
That power monitor screen looks like this:

After a power failure, the monitor software will close down your programs and then shut down the PC, when the battery voltage reaches a pre-determined level.
So, if you're not at your PC when the line power fails, the Power Monitor software will shut down your PC for you, saving any files you may have open.  That's a lot to do, for a little device that only costs $39.95.

Ok, that concludes "UPS 101"  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Y'all have a great day now!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 8:51pm

Thanks for the write up.

TheShadow wrote on Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:19pm:
Instead of buying another Gel-Cell battery for the UPS, I elected to go another route.I bought two car batteries at Wal-Mart and put them in a plastic dish pan.

I just wanted to comment really quick on the batteries you selected to replace the worn Gel-cell ones, since it may not be obvious to readers of this thread.  While these batteries may suite your purpose of weathering momentary sags in power, they would not be suitable for keeping equipment going during a full-scale outage.  Readers of this thread looking to build a power supply to keep the lights lit during an extended outage, should use deep-cycle batteries like you did in the kitchen.  Car batteries are designed to provide a lot of power for a short time, but their performance declines quickly.  Deep-cycle batteries are designed to power equipment over a longer time.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 9:09pm

WELL, you're only partially correct.

The two car batteries will keep that particular UPS running for hours without recharging.
Between the two, there's over 500 amp/hours and the drain put on them by my TV and satellite receiver is less than 200 watts.  They kept me in TV and light for over four days, during Hurricane Frances, with only two short charges off of my car, with jumper cables.

Granted, Deep Cycle batteries are supposed to last longer, but they cost twice as much as the car batteries and are almost 50% larger.

During short outages like two to three hours, the car batteries work just fine.

A few years back, I went out to the car to go to work one morning and the battery was deader than a door nail.  I went in the house and grabbed one of the batteries off of my UPS, installed it in the car in just a few minutes and was on my way.

The big Deep Cycle batteries would never fit in my car.  So you see, there's all sorts of method to my madness.

When you build your own backup supply, use whatever you want, but I've used what I could afford and what works best for me.  OK?

EDIT:  If you modify your own UPS to use larger and longer lasting batteries, or construct your own Inverter system, please come back here and let us all know what you did and how you did it. 
With pictures, please. Wink

I recently out out an email to my 'techie' list with the same pictures I've shown here.  It's all pretty straight forward stuff.  No big mysteries for anyone with just a modicum of technical experetise, but I did get one very curious question from one fellow.
"Where did you get that neat little fuse holder?"
Well, I got it at an Electronics Surplus house in Orlando, called "Sky Craft".
But even an in-line fuse holder from Radio Shack or an Auto Parts Store, with a 30A fuse, would work just fine.

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:14pm

TheShadow wrote on Oct 12th, 2008 at 9:09pm:
Between the two, there's over 500 amp/hours

The point is that car batteries are not designed to be discharged more than a few amp/hours before being recharged.  Like I said, they probably work great for your purposes, but anyone building their own UPS should keep in mind that deep cycle batteries are more suited to being fully discharged.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:27pm

That's the problem.  You're saying "Fully Discharged" and there is NO UPS or Inverter that will fully discharge any battery, no matter what type it is.

They all have a Cut-Off voltage of 10 volts or so.

So it really does NOT matter what type of battery it is.....when the voltage gets down to around 10 volts the UPS will shut down.  That prevents damage to both the UPS and the battery.

On my 600w UPS, I'm only pulling about 200 watts, so the two car batteries keep the UPS going for many hours before the voltage on the batteries gets down to 10v.  I'm not guessing here, because I've done it many times. 
A three to five hour power outage is no problem for my system.
Can we put away the argument about the batteries now?

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:40pm

TheShadow wrote on Oct 13th, 2008 at 2:27pm:
That's the problem.You're saying "Fully Discharged" and there is NO UPS or Inverter that will fully discharge any battery, no matter what type it is.

They all have a Cut-Off voltage of 10 volts or so.

Depends on your definition of 'discharged'.  10 Volts is fairly low for a car battery and will wear on the battery.

There's no argument.  Your method is fine and is obviously working for your purpose.  I was just clarifying a point for those interested in building their own.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 9:07am

@
 TheShadow

Nice *do-it-yourself* posting--I would have never thought of doing this--and looks quit easy to do!

So, I'm clueless about compatible circuits between batteries for UPS and cars--relative to a car charging system, I presume the charging system of a UPS is equivalent to a *trickle* charger--so if you have drained your batteries during a long outage--it must take awhile to recharge those large car batteries--true?

As I asked in the other thread where you first mentioned this technique--does the large difference in the physical size of the batteries cause a problem for the UPS circuits doing the recharge--no overheating, etc.--or does it just *trickle* away unaffected?

And, I assume the sensing logic of the UPS has no issue *knowing* when the batteries have been fully charged--those large car batteries have no effect on that aspect of the UPS function?

And, it sounds like you can hook up *more* components--so drawing more amps and using more watts--does the UPS *allow* for this?  If you plug in more draw than the circuits where designed for--is there a potential for overheating--or does the UPS *control* that flow?

I know that my UPS will alert me if I have more load hooked up than it was designed to handle using its smaller battery--any effect on that aspect of UPS function with those larger batteries--how would the UPS *know* it has that larger capacity?

I know--*so many questions*!!!  But, as I said--I'm clueless about any effect using a large battery vs the small battery of the UPS--even though the voltages are the same!

Also, I use both car batteries and deep cycle batteries for their respective recommended uses--my plug-in charger has different settings for recharging each type of battery--any knowledge as to what the differences might be?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 11:05am

Can you believe?  I completely answered your questions and right at the end of my post, the whole dang thing disappeared.  Then it took me about ten minutes to get back into the forum.  Stuff happens....I guess.

So let me see if I can give you the Readers Digest condensed version. Roll Eyes

A UPS has no idea what battery it's connected to.  It only monitors the input voltage.  After an outtage, when the line power is restored, it will go back into recharge mode and yes it's only a "Trickle Charge".  So there's no problem with it overcharging the batteries or causing them to "outgas".

Inverters, like the one I showed in my original post, are designed for use in large trucks to run 110v appliances.  That use would usually be only temporary and not ALL-DAY. 

Since my big UPS is a 600watt rated unit and my power draw is only about 200 watts, it's only running at 1/3 of rated output.  It doesn't even get hot.  As long as there's enough voltage coming into it from the batteries, it will keep right on running as long as I need it to. 
So the run-time is only dependent on the amount of battery power available.  With a big enough battery, the UPS could theoretically run forever.

The little charger in the UPS is designed to recharge a Gel-Cell battery that should only be charged slowly to prevent 'Outgassing'.  So it also recharges the larger lead acid batteries 'slowly' and again, that slow charge prevents the batteries from 'Outgassing' and spewing out dangerous fumes.  I have no problem with these batteries sitting in my home.  It's completely safe, just like a stock UPS is completely safe.

Quote:
my plug-in charger has different settings for recharging each type of battery--any knowledge as to what the differences might be?

The internal structure and chemistry is quite different between batteries of different types.  Some can stand fast charges and some cannot.
Some, like a standard lead-acid battery, will charge at lower voltages and higher currents than a 'Maintenance Free' battery. 
Deep Cycle and Maintenance Free batteries want to be charged at higher voltages, but under limited current.

When I was doing the battery testing for the Caterpillar Tractor Co. in their research lab, we had to apply about 15 volts (current limited) to fully charge a maintenance free battery. 

Quote:
I know that my UPS will alert me if I have more load hooked up than it was designed to handle using its smaller battery--any effect on that aspect of UPS function with those larger batteries--how would the UPS *know* it has that larger capacity?

The standard UPS is only concerned about the load applied to it.
It has NO CLUE as to what battery is connected to it.
As long as that load does not exceed its rated wattage, it will continue to operate till the input voltage from the battery drops below its 'ShutDown' level.
Theoretically, if the input voltage never dropped below the shutdown level, the UPS could run indefinitely.

I hope that (sort of) answers you questions.

Let me post this before the forum goes away on me again and I loose everything.

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:51am

I was sitting here this morning looking at this little UPS battery and it occurred to me that many people who might read this thread, have never or will NOT ever see a UPS Battery.

So for those people, here is a picture of a typical Gel-Cell battery from a small UPS like the one you might buy for your home computer.  It's a 12 volt, 3 Amp/Hour battery.

I used my wristwatch, just to give you a size comparison for the battery.  As you can see, it's not very big. Sad

This little battery will keep a small UPS running for about 10 minutes (or less).  Small UPS's like the one this battery came from are good for those little power glitches that can shut down your PC, but are NO good for extended power outages.
For that, you need a much larger UPS with a much larger battery.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:45am

@
 TheShadow

Thanks for your answers--that cleared up some of my lack of knowledge!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:55pm

The true crime is never the 'Lack of Knowledge', it's the willingness to maintain that status, that's the true crime.

I consider it a truly wasted day, if I don't learn something new.

That's the only reason I'm on the internet so much...... it's to help those who are willing to learn.  Sometimes in order to learn something new, we have to be willing to throw away old ideas and prejudices.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print