Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying to restore a Ghost 8.3 backup (Read 4025 times)
jap
Ex Member

Trying to restore a Ghost 8.3 backup
Nov 1st, 2008 at 9:20am

I backed up my XP partition up using 8.3 but find that, although the Gho. file is given the 'integrity check' thumbs up by 8.3, it cannot restore it correctly. Instead I get a strange tiny partition (called VPSGHBOOT) appearing on my drive and no working partition with the backed up files.

I've tried to examine the Gho. file using my version of Ghost in Norton Systemworks 2003 Professional Ed but am told that the file (already integrity checked by 8.3) 'is not a Ghost file'!!

I've read that after the company bought PQ's DriveImage and rebranded, older/previous Ghost backups were not accessible, but that the version of Ghost in NSW2003Ped is supposed to be able to - yet doesn't.

How can I extricate myself from the problem?

I'd like to do one of two things:
- successfully restore that back up
- Explore it with a version of Ghost that allows this function to rescue several important files that, otherwise, I look set to lose, entombed in the Gho. file that cannot be restored or explored.

Many thanks.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Trying to restore a Ghost 8.3 backup
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 11:12pm

Do you have access to installation CDs for either Norton Ghost Version 10 or for the initial version of Norton Search & Rescue?

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:37pm

what was the destination of your backup ?

IP Logged

jap
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2008 at 10:14pm

wp wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:37pm:
what was the destination of your backup ?

Thanks, guys, for your replies. I was beginning to despair as, when I discovered this forum, I felt sure that somewhere among posters' expertise there would be an answer to this.

- No, I don't have the installation disks to the earlier product, only the NSW Pro Ed I mentioned.
- I backed up to DVD initially but the burn went wrong and, instead, I used another harddisk.

Does that make anything clearer? Hope so.

(On a minor point about these forums:
I returned to check if there had been any replies several times in the week following my initial post but there was nothing. Strangely, almost three weeks later, I find that your replies were made in the  two days immediately after my posting - however, they did not show at the time.
Also, I checked the box for email notification for replies but, again, received nothing although I now find there have been your two replies.
Has anyone noticed these glitches before?)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 9:46am

@
 jap

Quote:
Has anyone noticed these glitches before?

I don't recall anyone mentioning it before this!

Quote:
I've tried to examine the Gho. file using my version of Ghost in Norton Systemworks 2003 Professional Ed but am told that the file (already integrity checked by 8.3) 'is not a Ghost file'!!

Ghost 8.3 is a much newer version of Ghost than Ghost 2003!  Ghost is *backward* compatible--so Ghost 8.3 will work with Ghost 2003 files, but there is no way for Ghost to be *forward* compatible--Ghost 2003 is not aware of the Ghost 8.3 file structure--and Ghost 8.3 has different file structures compared to Ghost 2003--so that's why the *not a Ghost file* response by the older Ghost 2003 program to the newer Ghost 8.3 image file!

Quote:
it cannot restore it correctly. Instead I get a strange tiny partition (called VPSGHBOOT) appearing on my drive and no working partition with the backed up files.

How exactly are you attempting to restore the image?

Are you using Ghost 8.3?

*VPSGHBOOT* is the virtual partition created by Ghost if it is run from the Windows Ghost interface--but that partition should not be present on a system unless a prior Ghost procedure started from Windows somehow failed, and a successful re-boot back to Windows never occurred!  Usually, at that point, a person is *trapped* in the virtual partition--and certain corrective procedures are needed to rescue oneself from that state!

So, we need more detailed information about what you have done to sort out what's going on!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print