Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 14 can now make ghosts! (Read 13549 times)
tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Ghost 14 can now make ghosts!
Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:47am

You can take part of Ghost 10 and integrate it with Ghost 14. Sorry if this is old news but I was floored at how well it worked (for loading network drivers "on the fly" and saving an image of my drive to a network share)!

*disclaimer: All versions of ghost are legally owned and licensed. Make sure you do the same!*

Find the folder \I386\SHELL\GHOST on the Ghost 10 CD and you will find in there restoreghost.exe (Ghost 8.2 Corporate Edition) and Ghost Explorer. Copy those two files to your desktop and rename restoreghost.exe to GHOST32.exe to save any confusion.

Now make an ISO image of your Ghost 14 CD (using Nero or whatever), and then edit that ISO image (with UltraISO or whatever). Create a folder in the root of the ISO called "TOOLS" and put the two files you copied from the Ghost 10 CD in there.

While you're here you can create a folder called DRIVERS and put your network drivers in there if you want (make sure they are unzipped or unrar'ed).

Now save the ISO and make a new CD with it (using Nero or ImgBurn or whatever).

You can also convert the ISO image to "DVD" and load up ghost images on it (up to 9 gig dual layer!) for restoring.

Boot off the new Ghost 14 CD and at the Symantec main menu pick Utilities, Load a Driver. Click Computer on the left, double click CD Drive, double click Drivers, and then find the INF file for your network drivers and double click on it.

After the network driver loads you go to Network, Start My Networking Services. After the "starting" box goes away click on "Run IP Config Utility" and click View to make sure your network card is showing up and has a valid IP (NOT 169.x.x.x).

Once you get the network card working you must "Map a Network Drive" to be able to use it in GHOST32.
Click "Map a Network Drive".
In the folder box type the name of the share you want to connect to, like:
\\server\c
or \\192.168.0.8\ghosts
Obviously make sure you have shared a folder on the PC you're trying to connect to (don't use crazy share names, spaces, etc.).

**NOTE! I was having problems getting a drive mapped (it kept asking for a username and password even though my machine doesn't have any passwords on it). Turns out I had to create a new account on my machine called "test" with a password "test" and then set the permissions of the folder I was sharing to allow "test", "full control". Once this was done I had to click "Connect using a different user name" on the Map Network Drive screen. I just typed test for the username and test for the password and BOOM, it mapped the drive perfectly and I was able to ghost my drive to an image file on the network share!

To get into GHOST32:

Click Analyze from the left menu.
Click "Explore My Computer".
Click on the "File" pull down menu.
Click on "Open".
Click Computer on the left.
Double Click CD Drive.
Double Click "TOOLS".
Under "Files of type" at the bottom choose "All Files (*.*)".
Now RIGHT CLICK on "GHOST32" and select "Run as Administrator".
GHOST32 should now open!

Click on picture to enlarge

Use the same steps for Ghost Explorer (and you can also run Ghost Explorer from just regular Windows. Try opening the ghost explorer file you copied to your desktop earlier, works great!).

ENJOY!

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 14 can now make ghosts!
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 1:48pm

tafb,

That's an interesting way of adding network drivers into Ghost 14. A bit like a BartPE CD with Ghost 8 and networking.

One of our members reported that file when Ghost 10 was released. However it wasn't named Ghost32. It was restoreghost.exe. It is ghost32.exe under a different name but is it ghost32.exe on your CD?

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 2:11pm

Hmmm, crazy. Yep, the two files are GHOST32.EXE and GHOSTEXP.EXE on my Ghost 10.0 CD.

Weird they would have called it restoreghost when it can write .gho images, no?

Yeah, the way Ghost 14 lets you use standard XP network drivers on the fly works great!

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 2:29pm

Jamie,

That is confusing. There must be two different Ghost 10 CDs.

Restoreghost.exe was present in Ghost 9 and 10. The version in Ghost 9 could only restore. The version in Ghost 10 could image and restore.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 2:33pm

It's my bad. I dug out my ghost 10 (10.0 retail box) cd and it is infact restoreghost.exe. When I copied them to my computer who knows how long ago I must have renamed it to ghost32.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 2:35pm

All clear now.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 2:43pm

Instructions fixed Wink

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 3:45pm

Jamie,

Your technique intrigued me. I played around and found you don't need to edit the CD at all. Just boot from the Ghost 14 CD and when it has loaded, plug in a USB flash drive containing your drivers, exe files that run without being installed, such as ghost32.exe, IFW, Drive Snapshot, ptedit32.exe, TrueCrypt, A43, etc. You name it. Basically you are using the Ghost 14 CD as a VistaPE CD able to run your own apps.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:07pm

hehe, yep. That's the way it works. And I like the fact that you can plug in the USB device after it has booted and it still picks it up no problem.

I was using a machine with no optical drive and a single USB port (compaq armada M300) and was using a USB cdrw/dvd rom drive. I tried a USB hub, but then the optical drive didn't get enough power (I didn't have any powered hubs handy). I wanted to provide instructions on how to edit the CD image, in case people didn't want to cheat by using a USB stick Cheesy or were left with no other option.

For some reason Ghost 10 would lockup right after boot, but even though Ghost 14 complained about the ram, it booted perfectly but I couldn't get the network card to work until I burnt the drivers onto the Ghost 14 CD and loaded em on the fly.

After screwing around with trying to get it to map the drive for half an hour (why the hell can't you use blank passwords?? tards) then everything worked great.

After I was done with that I used my CD on a new Acer Aspire One laptop with Linpus Linux on it and it worked beautifully. Heck, even backed the image up to an 8 gig USB stick!

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:11pm

Brian wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 3:45pm:
Your technique intrigued me...

Yeah, it's pretty funny. Did you try and go to command prompt to run a program? "can't find ghost32.exe"... LOL, IT'S RIGHT THERE! Open your eyes! Or even better, try and run it from explorer... nothing.

Took me a while to figure out that "File, Open" right click "Run as administrator" trick.

I think Symantec tried to disable running your own programs from the Ghost 14 environment, but they failed Cheesy

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:25pm

tafb wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:11pm:
Took me a while to figure out that "File, Open" right click "Run as administrator" trick.

I didn't think of that before I saw your post. Good work. I tried Utilities etc but that doesn't work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:44pm

You don't even need a USB flash drive. You can run exe files that are on the HD. Very interesting. I had tried to do this in the past and failed. Your technique works.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:05pm

Brian wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 4:44pm:
You can run exe files that are on the HD.

Are you joking??? So before I need to make my ghost, copy over ghost32.exe and my network drivers (hell, BOTH are already on my hard drive) and just load em into Ghost 14 from there!? INSANE!

Dunno why I didn't try that (probably to use to "Press F6 to load drivers" and needing a real floppy disk). Guess we both learned somethin new today  Cheesy

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:54am

I checked the Ghost 9 and 12 CDs. Your technique works with both disks. Many of the BartPE plugins work. Roadkil's Sector Editor works which will be handy for those Dell laptop owners who experience the HPA truncation problem after cloning their HD to a larger HD.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 10:51am

Wow, that's crazy. I had fun ghosting a drive today, told "load a driver" to load ALL of my c:\windows\inf files, and then my WEBCAM pops up, in AMCAP, so I can watch myself laugh and dance while ghosting my drive.

Great that 9 and 12 are good to go too. No need for tricky Bart PE stuff now, considering Ghost 14/VistaPE allows you to load drivers on the fly. I don't think Ghost 9 or 12 had that. I know 10 didn't.

Thanks again for all your testing.

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print