Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11 and EHCI USB support (Read 4778 times)
Ecoli
N00b

NL

Ghost 11 and EHCI USB support
Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:18am

Hi,
Can anyone please please tell me if there is another workaround for the following problem (other than changing BIOS settings every time):
"I use a USB stick for restoring a Ghost 11 image to a device. The device boots properly from the USB stick and then starts Ghost 11 but then it hangs just prior to showing the welcome screen. When I reboot the device and enable "EHCI USB Supports" in BIOS the device boots from the USB stick and Ghost 11 starts properly, but when I reboot without the USB stick Windows hangs on the loading screen. When I reboot the device and disable "EHCI USB Supports" in BIOS the device boots and starts Windows properly, but if booting from the USB stick Ghost 11 starts and hangs just prior to showing the welcome screen again."
I would like to be able to restore the image using a bootable USB stick and subsequently reboot and start Windows without having to mess around in BIOS. Please tell me it's possible..

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Ghost 11 and EHCI USB support
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:12am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 14, Ghost 12, Ghost 10 + Ghost 9,  including Norton Save + Restore by NightOwl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 11 and EHCI USB support
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:38am

@
 Ecoli

Ghost 11 (Symantec has really screwed up the version sequence!) is more related to *Classic* DOS Ghost than to the current retail Ghost products--Ghost 11 is really referred to as Ghost Solution Suite (GSS)--so I moved your question here.

Quote:
Can anyone please please tell me if there is another workaround for the following problem (other than changing BIOS settings every time):

Well, based on your description of the problem--sounds like there is some conflict between Ghost's built in USB access ability and the device's USB support--there may be a combination of settings that works around it--either in the BIOS or switches for Ghost--possibly you can disable Ghost's USB support with the *-nousb* switch and that might prevent the hanging.

But, it may turn out that the two just will not play nice together.  If that's the case, you could possibly work around the issue by creating a second hidden boot partition on the device and use partitioning tools to change which partition is active for booting from and have Ghost on the alternate boot partition--thus eliminating the USB boot device altogether!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 12:24pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 10th, 2008 at 9:38am:
sounds like there is some conflict between Ghost's built in USB access ability and the device's USB support

Well, yeah. That's pretty much the entire point of the EHCI specification.

Section 5 of the EHCI spec defines a way to smoothly hand control of the USB host controller (and thus the connected devices) between the system BIOS and other software, be it a full OS or a USB-aware application like Ghost, and even hand it back again afterwards. Prior to this, if an OS or application touched a USB host controller it would sometimes end up fighting with the BIOS and this kind of thing would happen (full OSs could still work if they pretty much took complete control of everything off the BIOS, but Ghost has to still leave the BIOS there).

The simplest thing to do would normally be to use Sysprep to trigger a mini-setup (which will cause Windows do a PNP redetect the next boot after it shuts the machine down, during which time you can change the USB controller to EHCI mode) so that Windows will reinstall all its drivers for the machine and thus detects the EHCI controller and installs the correct EHCI driver for the USB host controller. Either that or use Windows PE and Ghost32 instead.

IP Logged

Ecoli
N00b

NL

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2008 at 7:30am

Thanks for the helpful responses. I do not think I'll be using the hidden partition solution yet because it's also not the initial condition of the device (empty disk). I'll give that some more thought later though. About sysprep.. exactly what are you saying here? Is my interpretation correct: "If I use sysprep and trigger a mini-setup Windows will install the correct EHCI driver and I will be able to boot equally succesfully (using Ghost or Windows) while having "EHCI USB Supports" enabled in BIOS."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print