Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bootable Automatic drive image create?? (Read 2327 times)
Jon
Ex Member

bootable Automatic drive image create??
Dec 8th, 2008 at 9:25pm

Hi all,

I am definitely a noob so please bear with me.

I was recently assigned the task of creating an idiot proof backup procedure at my employer (after someone chose disk to disk AND the wrong src/dst) oops.

I will be using Symantec Ghost VER11

I am aware of some switches
"ghost32.exe -clone,mode=create,src=1,etc."

Unfortunately things get a little tricky from here (at least for me)
What i need is a boot disk that will give the user a text field then create a folder on a USB hard drive and place the .GHO file with the same name into that folder (all based on the user's text field input).
Yet another variable, some of the computers in question have 2 physical drives, so i would need to ensure the correct src/dst are selected and folders created based on the hardware.

I have successfully written a VB application that will do this (in a running windows environment from drive D or E to drive C), but if i try to include it in a Bart PE build the VB application I created will not initialize.
Also i noticed that if the computer has a SCSI drive as the primary drive (which of course some of these do)  Undecided that ghost id's the USB as 1 and the internal HD as 2  Angry (when running ghost directly from Bart)
Please keep in mind i am very new to this (I never even attempted to use VB or PE builder until Friday ... yes Friday Dec. 5th).
....brain hurting OW!! ....  Cry
in the end my start ghost "command" will be something like.

ghost32.exe -clone,mode=create,src=1, (can i use src=C:\ instead?)
dst=[drive\backups\userinput\userinput.gho] -Z2 -SPLIT=1024
{and maybe -sure}

Am i right that high compression is -Z2? Or is it something else?
The split is not absolutely necessary but may help in VPN transfers at a later date.

These computers run complex machines so i would like to avoid disaster by automating as much as possible, so that all the user needs to do is insert a CD, power on the computer, type a machine _#### name, and maybe click yes then go have a cup of coffee.

I've probably made this sound much more complicated than necessary, any help is greatly appreciated.  Grin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

bootable Automatic drive image create??
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 11:02am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 14, Ghost 12, Ghost 10 + Ghost 9,  including Norton Save + Restore by NightOwl.

Quote:
I will be using Symantec Ghost VER11

This is the more appropriate forum--you're more likely to have the correct folks looking at this thread here.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print