Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost2003,Win2000Prof, and Boot Floppy Problem (Read 2756 times)
0me8a123
Ex Member

Ghost2003,Win2000Prof, and Boot Floppy Problem
Dec 12th, 2008 at 3:37am

I have Ghost 2003 with Windows 2000 Prof. When I try to create a boot floppy I have the following problem - when I try to boot from the floppy it gets as far as 'Mouse Driver' and then sits there for ever with the 'a' floppy drive clicking. I suspect this is something to do with MSdoss versus PCdoss but must confess to profound ignorance. I would be very grateful if any one  can suggest what I might be doing wrong?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost2003,Win2000Prof, and Boot Floppy Problem
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:21am

Hello 0me8a123,
welcome to RADIFIED ... Smiley ... !

Have you tried providing the necessary files from a Win98SE startup floppy and create the Ghost floppies using MSDOS? There will be no mouse driver installed and you have to navigate using the keyboard but it might work.

(I have successfully created both types of Ghost floppies but always use the MSDOS version. The more "basic" and less drivers for Ghost 2003 to handle, the better I think.)

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Ghost2003,Win2000Prof, and Boot Floppy Problem
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 7:55am

Quote:
I have Ghost 2003 with Windows 2000 Prof. When I try to create a boot floppy I have the following problem - when I try to boot from the floppy it gets as far as 'Mouse Driver' and then sits there for ever with the 'a' floppy drive clicking. I suspect this is something to do with MSdoss versus PCdoss but must confess to profound ignorance. I would be very grateful if any one  can suggest what I might be doing wrong?  

Floppy Drive clicking has nothing to do with what OS you have on your hard drive, or what OS you are trying to use on your Boot Floppy, or what program you're trying to load, like Ghost.

What is DOES have to do with, is a bad floppy or failing floppy disk drive.
Over time the factory lubrication put in those drives dries out and dirt collects on the glide-bar that the read head rides on.
If you can hear the drive going from track to track while formatting a blank disk, with a clunk, clunk, clunk sound, then the drive glide rail is dry and probably dirty.
Things like cigarette smoke tar will build up on those glide bars and can render the drive unusable.

This was accentuated by the nature of the head positioning system used by "Alps" in their 1541 drives used by Commodore.
I cleaned, oiled and realigned literally thousands of Commodore 1541 drives, in my Commodore business, back in the early 80's.

So, if you're not into taking the drive out and servicing it yourself, just go buy a new one.  They are so cheap anymore, that it's almost not worth the time and effort it takes to properly service one.
Today, the only floppy drives that I service are the proprietary ones used in some HP and other brands of computers.

Formatting a floppy under Windows 2000 would result in what version of DOS?  I don't know, because I've never done that.

For my own boot floppy, I use a DOS boot disk made under Windows ME.  That automatically loads CD rom drivers on boot.
I also add Mouse.com to my floppy so that I can work Ghost from the mouse instead of the keyboard. 

But, before you do anything else, you need to have that Floppy Disk Drive working at 100%.

Happy Holidays!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print