Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
*Yes, we can* restore a Ghost image to Dissimilar Hardware!!! (Read 7674 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

*Yes, we can* restore a Ghost image to Dissimilar Hardware!!!
Dec 11th, 2008 at 1:01pm

To all

Yes, I have borrowed a now famous positive affirmation from a recently successful political campaign for the subject line...

Recently, I indicated that my system for the last 6-7 years (I think I started using it in 2001) had been showing unstable problems of undetermined cause(s):  Flaky System--Intermittent BSOD Crashes.

That motherboard was an AMD CPU based Abit KG7-RAID MB.  It had an integrated, embedded HighPoint HPT 370 A raid chipset, plus a AMD 761/VIA VT82c686B north/south bridge chipset, and used DDR1 266MHz PC2100 RAM.  (It appears that ABIT has been bought out by another company and the websites are no longer available with the previously available support information.)

I am now logged onto the forum from my other system which I put together roughly a year later (2002) for business use (at the time--it has been on the shelf for the last 2 years)--this system is an Intel CPU based Gigabyte GA-8IHXP MB.  It has an integrated, embedded Promise 20276 RAID chip, an Intel 850E/ICH4 north/south bridge chipset, and uses RAMBUS PC1066 RAM.  (Here's a website reference: GA-8IHXP (Rev 2.1)

I created a backup Ghost 2003 image of the ABIT system, restored it the the Gigabyte system, performed a WinXP *repair installation* (not a *repair* using the Recovery Console) using the WinXP installation disc--and I am now testing to see if this is going to work!

So far--all the software I installed has transferred over--but there may be several hardware/software issues--the Windows OS has clearly switched over to the new hardware seeing the new P-4 Pentium CPU, Intel chipset, and Promise RAID chipset.

I will be posting the results of my experience in future posts in this thread--one has to decide if a *clean* Win OS install is better than a *repair install* to a restored OS from a previous OS install on different hardware--the jury is still out for the moment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: *Yes, we can* restore a Ghost image to Dissimilar Hardware!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 5:28pm

I'd be looking over my shoulder!  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Intelestinc, velly intelestinc!

Happy Holidays!

Cool

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2008 at 6:21pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 11th, 2008 at 1:01pm:
performed a WinXP *repair installation* (not a *repair* using the Recovery Console) using the WinXP installation disc

Can you go into a little more detail here. I have tried this, too, but could never get anywhere with it.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 5:24am

There is a program about $ 1000 that does different hardware. Universal Imaging Utility.  It works.  I have used it.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 8:33am

wp wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 5:24am:
There is a program about $ 1000 that does different hardware. Universal Imaging Utility.It works.I have used it. 

Try using acronis universal restore with true image workstation would cost u around $120 and would perform the desired task.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print