Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slow Ghost performance over gigabit network (Read 5113 times)
laxity
N00b

I Love Radified!

Slow Ghost performance over gigabit network
Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:26pm

Hi all,

I have the following setup :

- Backup server running Windows Vista Pro SP1 with 2TB of storage
- 4 clients running a mixture of Vista and XP SP3 running Ghost 12.

I want to be able to backup all the data from all the clients to the backup server. I have tested this with the first machine on a wired gigabit network and it is taking a very long time to back up the data.

The first machine has around 600GB of data. When trying to backup this machine the network performance of XP -> Vista on gigabit is only using around 12% of the network utilization (about 130-200Mbps) according to the network performance monitor. Reading up on this I have found that XP to Vista has crap SMB/CIFS performance so I am wondering if Ghost has a way to avoid using SMB/CIFS shares and use direct backup over TCP connections. Is there a way to do this?

Has anyone else got a similar setup to this and getting bad performance? If so is there maybe a way of increasing the transfer?

Many thanks,
Richard.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Slow Ghost performance over gigabit network
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 8:26am

The data transfer is only a small part of the equation.
The speed of your data bus on each computer and the actual speed of the hard drives involved is critical too.
IDE controllers are not know for blinding speed. Roll Eyes

The speed you mentioned, is typical for a Ghost backup to an IDE drive.
You can't go any faster than the HD's can write the data.  Sorry!

Merry Christmas!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

laxity
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:49pm

Both machines have very fast SATA II drives in a RAID configuration. Backing up to a local drive is fast, but network is much slower (obviously), but its seems that the problem is SMB/CIFS over gigabit. Vista to Vista server is fast but XP to Vista server is slow. This is why I want to avoid using SMB/CIFS. Does the Enterprise version support direct data transfers over TCP perhaps?

cheers,
Richard.

IP Logged

laxity
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 7:57am

Ok I have done some more tweaking and I have managed to get some additional speed out of my gigabit network by disabling QoS and the deterministic network enhancer.

However, using "standard" compression (higher compression seems to slow things down too much probably because the cpu is slowing things down), the performance starts at around 250-350Mbps which is good but then slows to a crawl towards the end of the backup (9Mbps). I also had to turn of the verify image option as that was painfully slow over the network (who knows what it is actually doing??).

So from the above you can see that my network and disks are more than capable of transferring the data (even a direct file copy through explorer is fast at 300Mbps) so why is Ghost so damn slow?!?! This seems like a bug or something.

Perhaps Ghost has difficulty writing to large backup files of 200-300GB in size? Would upgrading to Ghost 14 help or some other backup tool?

Or perhaps Ghost struggles when confronted with large uncompressible files on the filesystem and tries to compress them? I might try turning off compression all together, not ideal but I'm running out of ideas.

Cheers,
Richard.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print