Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 14 Problem (Read 6901 times)
Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Norton Ghost 14 Problem
Jan 5th, 2009 at 12:48pm

Hi I'm new to using Ghost in general. The computer I'm using is an AMD X2 +4200 2GB Dual Channel Corsair 800MHz RAM
ASUS M2N-E SLI Motherboard
40GB, 80GB, and 160GB IDE HDDs
1TB SATA HDD

The version I have is Norton Ghost 14. I have a 40GB IDE hard disk with Windows XP Pro SP3 I want to clone to my new 1TB SATA drive which is faster and obviously much bigger. I've tried doing the copy with the 1TB drive in an external enclosure connected via eSATA cable <not usb>. Then installed the 1TB drive in the SATA slot internally. The copy went fine but when I tried to boot from the 1TB it would get to the blue screen  with the Windows XP logo in the bottom right corner. It just sits at this screen with no disk activity after a short time.

Should I install the drive internally straight to SATA first and then do the copy? Is the eSATA connection during the initial coping the problem?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Ghost 14 Problem
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 1:17pm

Eremon1,

Is that the pale blue screen with the small WinXP logo and no text? It usually has, "Windows is starting up" or "Loading your personal settings".

Did you partition your 1 TB HD prior to the clone?

IP Logged

Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 1:21pm

RE: Brian

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes there is no text, the starting windows text nor the welcome to windows text appears at all during the pale blue screen. Only the Windows XP Pro near the bottom right corner. I had the disk partitioned and formatted. But I also thought that Ghost did that anyway along with the correction for size difference between the two drives.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 1:41pm

Eremon1,

Hopefully that will be easy to fix using Method #3. You need to zero the DiskID to allow WinXP to recalculate partition signatures.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

If you don't have a Win98 floppy, use a Win98 (not a WinXP) boot CD. Boot from the disk and at the A: prompt type fdisk /mbr and press ENTER. You won't see anything happen. It just goes back to the A: prompt.

You can get a Win98 boot CD from..

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html  (get the Win98SE_bootdisk.iso and burn it with ImgBurn)

Your WinXP should boot now. The following link explains what went wrong. It was the pre-partitioning.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148252120;start=

IP Logged

Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:20pm

Thanks again Brian! I have downloaded and burned the win98se iso and will now try it. I will update as soon as I can.

IP Logged

Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 4:09pm

Success! At the risk of being redundant, thank you again Brian! It worked and I'm currently up and running on the new hard drive.

From scratch I had to do the following;
1. perform the disk copy from 40gb IDE to 1000gb eSATA hard drive with Ghost.
2. remove 40gb and install 1000gb internally to SATA.
3. Boot with Win XP cd and hit (R) for recovery console, then type fixmbr at the prompt.
4. Rebooted into Win98 boot disc and typed fdisk /mbr from a:\ prompt.
5. Rebooted into WinXp and success.

I just have to make some rearrangments for disk letter assignments, but everything seems to be running as it should.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 4:21pm

That's great. Zeroing the DiskID is a lot easier than redoing the clone.

I upgraded my main HD last night. From 320 to 640 GB. I had to transfer 8 bootable partitions and 2 large data partitions. It only took a few hours and went smoothly. My Maximum Transfer Rate (measured with HD Tune) with the new HD is double the old HD figure. WinXP does "feel" a little faster and boot time is certainly shorter.

IP Logged

Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 4:36pm

I agree with you. I will have to remember this for future reference. I'm sure I'll encounter this error again.

I too have a max transfer rate that is little better than double now. My old IDE was a great drive, but it's time had come. SATA is faster for my rig for sure! Start up and running programs is faster for me now. Feels like a new computer!  Grin

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 8:01am

I would think that everyone who hangs out on these internet forums would already know that SATA2 is quantum leaps faster than IDE.

But for those who haven't heard yet.........

The difference is like, between 133 for an IDE drive and 3000 for a SATA2 drive.
Going from IDE to SATA2 cut down my Ghost backup times from around a half hour to just about six minutes.
(your own mileage may vary )

Wishing y'all a very Happy 2009!

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Eremon1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 1:42pm

SATA2? No that is news to me, but I don't keep on top of the very most current stuff. I end up wanting it and then I spend more than I already do on my PC! LMAO Plus I sorta recall there being some confusion between SATA-II and SATA-2...I know my drive is SATA @ 3.0 GB/s

Thanks for the info though Shadow, I will look into it now just because you've tweaked my curiosity on the possibilities of even faster physical drive access besides the very expensive solid state drives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print