Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
32GB Bootable USB Stick w/ghost (Read 9602 times)
meatbizzy7
Ex Member

32GB Bootable USB Stick w/ghost
Feb 11th, 2009 at 8:21am

Hi,

Any ideas on how to run ghost from a 32GB flash stick?

I formatted the usb stick using HP's utility and it boots fine.

I launch ghost, and ghost appears on the screen but I can't use it.

I can just see the ghost program running I can't actually use it.

I am using the latest version of ghost.exe, the one that comes with solutions suite 2.5

Any ideas?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: 32GB Bootable USB Stick w/ghost
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 2:17pm

Since you can only legally use that Ghost executable by having a license for GSS2.5, then you can use GSS2.5 to make it; the capability to do this has been a standard part of the product from Ghost Enterprise 8.2 (rebranded Ghost Solution Suite 1.0) onwards, and I added support for FAT32 formatting the USB drives for the DOS boot environment - allowing capacities of several hundred Gb - into the Ghost tools during GSS2.0

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:44am

Quote:
Hi,

Any ideas on how to run ghost from a 32GB flash stick?

I formatted the usb stick using HP's utility and it boots fine.

I launch ghost, and ghost appears on the screen but I can't use it.

I can just see the ghost program running I can't actually use it.

I am using the latest version of ghost.exe, the one that comes with solutions suite 2.5

Any ideas?

32 gig?  That's a HUGE waste of an expensive flash drive.
Any and all versions of Ghost will run quite nicely from a much smaller flash drive, such as 256megs.  Waste not, want not!

I'm not familiar with Solutions Suite 2.5, but....

I'd be curious to know why you can't use it if it's on your screen. ???
Every version of Ghost.exe that I've ever tried, runs a whole lot better if you just load your mouse driver, usually "Mouse.com" from the autoexec.bat file on the boot disk.
Then you can run ghost from your PS2 mouse.  A USB mouse, may or may not work....it depends on your motherboard and how it handles USB devices.  Mine, works just fine.

Ghost.exe can be run from the keyboard, but it's slow and clunky and not very user friendly.

So again, why can't you use it?
Curious minds want to know.  Be as specific as you can.
Cool

IP Logged

meatbizzy7
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 10:33am

It's not a waste of space if you intend to use the space, which I do.

Either way I didn't realize there was boot wizard in GSS 2.5.

After using the wizard my 32GB stick becomes bootable and ghost starts up great.

So then I go to make an image of the disk to an image file. I choose to save that file to the same USB stick. Again everything works as expected.

Now I go to drop the image on a hard disk, during the restore ghost will fail every time during the restore (25%) complaining it cannot read the USB. WTF it just wrote the image to that same USB?

Any ideas?

On another note, I figure OK maybe the USB stick just sucks.

I took a usb harddrive, used the same boot wizard, and then booted to it. I again made an image which was successful without errors.

Then I try to restore that image, when it gets close the end of the process about 90% or so. It will pop up and ask me for the last span file. I click browse and I can see the file its looking for, however its 0bytes in size....WTF ghost?

So then I changed the compression on image to hope this would help the problem, since its happening during image creation. After imaging again I have the same problem, the last span file is empty 0 bytes.

What is going on here? All I want is a bootable drive with ghost and atleast 20+GB of space.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 12:30am

Quote:
during the restore ghost will fail every time during the restore (25%) complaining it cannot read the USB

Post this on the official GSS forums; you will need to include the GHOSTERR.TXT produced when it fails and some information about the specific version of the GBW you used (since I believe it's been LiveUpdated). That way one of the proper people - in this case, probably Morgan Mackieson-Ellis - can take a look at it to see whether this is a reproducible fault in any of the code.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print