Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recovery Point Browers for File and Folder Backup??? (Read 10265 times)
MacKenrick
Radmeister

Help Stamp Out & Eradicate
Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Recovery Point Browers for File and Folder Backup???
Mar 19th, 2009 at 12:14am

Greetings All.  I can't use "Recovery Point Browser" to look at files in a "File and Folder" backup I made.  The Recovery Point Browser works fine when I use it to look through files in a regular "Drive Based Backup" where I backed up my "C" Drive.  Is it possible to use Recovery Point Browser for a File and Folder backup or does it only work for a Drive Based Backup?

Thanks for the help.   Mac

Win XP Hm SP3, Save & Restore 2.0

MacKenrick

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Recovery Point Browers for File and Folder Backup???
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 2:52pm

Are we discussing Ghost?  Or something else?

I wasn't aware of any Ghost backup version that only backs up files or folders.

But then, I always back up a whole drive at a time, like drive C:.

If I ever want to look at or restore a file from that backup I just use "Ghost Explorer".
I can go back into a Ghost backup file I made years ago and restore a single file from that Image.

So, a bit more info from you on "what are you talking about" will help you get better answers.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 3:26pm

@
MacKenrick

Mac,

Sorry, but here is a non helpful answer. I tried Files and Folders backup a few times and hated it. I put it out of my mind as I like to see backed up data files in native format.

IP Logged

SloPoke
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 4:29pm

According to the S&R 2.0 documentation, File and Folder Backup doesn't store the backup data in a recovery point file but in a subfolder of your backup location.  Therefore I would think you can't use the recovery point browser to see files in a File and Folder Backup, but must use the Recover My Files task and select the File and Folder search method.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 6:48pm

Thank you all for the replies.  I've used Ghost forever but am new to Save and Restore (which is on my wife's computer).  The File and Folder Backup looks completely different from a Drive Based Backup.  It creates a bunch (I mean a bunch) of small folders and in each folder a bunch of .fbf files that cannot be opened with the Recovery Point Browser.  The S&R 2.0 documention was not very helpful in explaining if these files can be "browsed" or how to do it.  I will try the suggestion by SloPoke to try to use the "File and Folder" search method.  I may do like Brian and just not use it.

To TheShadow,  You probably didn't see the bottom of my post were I noted that I was using Win XP Hm SP3 and Save & Restore 2.0.  Yes, I too like Ghost better but I was given a free Norton Systemworks that had S&R 2.0 on it.  Also, Ghost does have a File and Folder backup option.  I'm not sure when they started to include it but it is on Ghost 12 (although I haven't used it). 

Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 8:55am

Gads, I hate to be such a nube, but if it ain't "Ghost" or DOS (when it comes to backups) I probably don't know about it.

I do a Ghost backup of my C: drive to a storage drive, at least once every week, but if my C: drive should crash somewhere between backups, I could loose several new files that I've stored.  That may be an important receipt, a really good joke or a cute picture.  In any case, I don't want to loose those daily acquisitions because of a HD crash, so I took steps.......

I abhor having to run another program every time I want to do something, so I try to use whats already in Windows, whenever I can.

I wrote a batch file, using XCOPY to backup to my Storage drive, every NEW file in a number of different folders, including My Documents, My Files, My Web Page, etc.

On a slow day, there may be only one or two files to backup so the whole job takes only a second or two.
I attached the backup routine to my Quick Shutdown shortcut for a combination "Backup and Shutdown".  It works a treat!

If I ever need to look at one of those files, , , there it is in a folder on my Storage drive, in all its natural glory.  (NO, compression, NO Encryption, NO coding, just plain old "Al'natural" )  Wink

That simple routine of mine, totally precludes problems like the one that prompted this thread. 

Shadow  Cool

I'm always glad to assist anyone who wants to take any of my ideas and adapt them for their own use. Wink

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 8:58am

Gads, I hate to be such a nube, but if it ain't "Ghost" or DOS (when it comes to backups) I probably don't know about it.

I do a Ghost backup of my C: drive to a storage drive, at least once every week, but if my C: drive should crash somewhere between backups, I could loose several new files that I've stored.  That may be an important receipt, a really good joke or a cute picture.  In any case, I don't want to loose those daily acquisitions because of a HD crash, so I took steps.......

I abhor having to run another program every time I want to do something, so I try to use whats already in Windows, whenever I can.

I wrote a batch file, using XCOPY to backup to my Storage drive, every NEW file in a number of different folders, including My Documents, My Files, My Web Page, etc.

On a slow day, there may be only one or two files to backup so the whole job takes only a second or two.
I attached the backup routine to my Quick Shutdown shortcut for a combination "Backup and Shutdown".  It works a treat!

If I ever need to look at one of those files, , , there it is in a folder on my Storage drive, in all its natural glory.  (NO, compression, NO Encryption, NO coding, just plain old "Al'natural" )  Wink

That simple routine of mine, totally precludes problems like the one that prompted this thread.  

Shadow  Cool

I'm always glad to assist anyone who wants to take any of my ideas and adapt them for their own use. Wink

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 4:31pm

Quote:
I  wrote a batch file, using XCOPY to backup…

If you like XCOPY, you’ll love the free 'upgrade' to XXCOPY

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:30am

From the information I got here and after re-reading the help files for S&R 2.0, I was able to browse the files in the File and Folder backup.  It was like SloPoke explained.  The one thing I didn't like was, you were kind of guessing at what files you were looking at and where they were located.  It was very clumsey.

What I do for backups is make a full backup of a drive once a month but I wanted something that would make a backup of selected Folders (such as My Documents, Email, Favorites) every few days.  The File and Folder backup will allow you to do that but like I said, it is not very easy to use so I may switch to some other system. 

Thanks everyone for all the help.   

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:39am

Mac,

I use Second Copy 7. A daily data backup takes one to two minutes. It's automated so I don't have to be present.

A popular free app is Karen's replicator.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 8:52am

I also use Second copy 7, can't live without it.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 10:56am

Quote:
I use Second Copy 7

There is a lot to like about this tool.  However, the encryption feature has a “backdoor” which could, in theory, allow Centered Systems to gain access to any files encrypted by Second Copy.  The reason is that there exists an embedded “master password” that is used to convert the user's password to/from the encrypted value contained within the Profiles.dat file.  This is not my opinion.  It is a fact that I have discussed with technical support at Centered Systems, and which they have confirmed.

Please note that I am not seeking to belittle Centered Systems or their products.  But, anyone who wishes to protect their digital assets through encryption should be aware of this issue.

IP Logged

Second_Copy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 9:10am

I am Suda Pethe from Centered Systems.  I'd like to correct a misconception in Pleonasm's comment.  There is no "backdoor" in the encryption feature of Second Copy. The user's password is saved in the profiles.dat in encrypted format. This allows Second Copy to do automatic backups without requiring the user to enter the password every time. However, Centered Systems has no access to that password or the user's encrypted files. That password is the only one that is used to encrypt the files. There is no other backdoor password.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 5:17pm

Quote:
Centered Systems has no access to that password or the user's encrypted files.

The statement is accurate, but possibly misleading.  Centered Systems does not have access to the user’s password, but it has the capability to derive it—if it was also in possession of the Profiles.data file.

Permit me to clarify.  The encryption of the user’s password by Second Copy employs a fixed “master password” embedded within the application, resulting in an encrypted version of the user’s password being stored within the Profiles.dat file.  Second Copy decrypts the user’s password from the Profiles.dat file using that same “master password,” and then employs the plaintext version of the user’s password to encrypt files into ZIP archives during a backup operation.

How serious of a threat is this?  The user’s encrypted ZIP archives could be compromised, in my opinion, if an adversary had access to the user’s Profiles.dat file.  I suspect that many users do not independently encrypt the Profiles.dat file, and therein resides the “backdoor” risk.

I do want to state clearly that I am not in any way implying that Centered Systems would cooperate with such an adversary.  While the approach used by Second Copy has the advantage of improving the user’s experience by not requiring the password to be entered every time an encrypted ZIP archive is produced, it does have the serious disadvantage that I have noted herein.

My comments are based upon version 7.1 of Second Copy.  The approach used by Centered Systems may have changed since that release – and, if so, I welcome an update.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print