Hellsbones
Gnarly

Use 105MM Shells, Bring
the rain!

USA-Midwest

Ghost DOESN'T KNOW
Apr 11th, 2009 at 4:59pm

Quote:
Now we're back to comparing apples and oranges again.
Please understand the topic replies before you refute them.

Read all the cries for help when someone took a perfectly good Ghost backup image, originally written to a hard drive, copied it to a DVD or multiple DVD's and then tried to restore it from the DVDs.

I've said this more times than I can recount, "Ghost Knows!".
It somehow knows where (on what type of media) it puts its backup files.

Only Nigel could tell you the technical reasons why, but it seems like when Ghost does a backup to a DVD, it writes the data a little differently than when it writes to a HD and spans the image into segments.

Old Wives Tale?  I don't think so.

But why tempt fate?  When you do a Ghost backup, decide where you want the backup files and then leave them there.  If you want a backup somewhere else, then make a new backup and let Ghost put the files to the new location.  You shouldn't risk you data on just one Ghost backup anyway.

Back to fate again...... the rule is always that if something could go wrong, it probably will. Cry
For that very reason, when I make my bi-weekly Ghost backups I put them on alternating media.  I'll make one to the second partition on my main SATA2 HD.  The next one I'll make to my backup drive.  Next one to part#2 of my Vista drive.  Next one to DVD.  And so it goes.  Fate might get one of my backups, but it's not going to get them all.  Not being one to tempt fate, I NEVER move a backup from one media to another.  Fact, or Old Wives Tale, , , I just won't do it.

I run the "Check" routine in Ghost, on every backup file I make and then to further test the integrity of the file, I do a restore with it.
That verifies that the file is good for a restore and it also defragments my HD.  It's a "twofer"..... two great functions for the price of one. Wink
God, I love Ghost. Kiss

Yet again, you obviously don't know this for certain. In my facility where I use Ghostcast server daily to do network image backups and deployments, ALL my images are stored to either the server's hard drive or to an external USB attached drive or one of the NAS on the network. I can and have copied those images direct from their back up location, burned them to disk and deployed the image to computers leaving the area and have NEVER had a problem restoring from an image moved from drive to optical media. The significant process means I use the Ghost32 version during the image creation process across the network and then use the correct ghost.exe version equivalent to the ghost32 when redeploying from DVD.

This is something I do daily, and yes it DOES work. GHOST CAN RESTORE AN IMAGE PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN TO HARD DRIVE AND MOVED TO OPTICAL MEDIA WITHOUT ISSUES. It is obvious that this process is something you don't know how to do so therefore you are content with believing and telling everyone that it doesn't work.

How do you think I make all my restore images for my users when I reload a machine? I start ghost and ghost their image to an external drive, then copy the image from the external drive to optical disk media. Their restore disk executes flawlessly. I've been doing it this way for almost 10 years. Both Ghost32.exe and Ghost.exe work AS LONG AS THEY ARE BOTH FROM THE SAME VERSION of the software. If you're having problems with this procedure, perhaps you should ask for help before stating that it doesn't work.

Kick it down range and draw fire!
Hellsbones asianredneck  
IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost DOESN'T KNOW
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 6:07pm

@
Hellsbones

The context of the posting suggests that this is in regards to DOS based Ghost or Ghost32 from Ghost Solution Suite *GSS*--so more appropriately posted in this forum.

It would be helpful if when you quote something from outside a given thread that you include a link so we all can see the context from which the quote comes from.

Quote:
Shadow, since i've come to know you i've found that your process is very one way directional, YOUR way. If nobody conforms to the way you do it, it's not the right way. Your arrogance in the matter has probably turned more people off to asking for help then it has impressed. Nobody needs it. If you can't or don't know how the process is done, don't you dare sit there and say it can't be done, because yet again, you obviously don't know because you can't or haven't ever tried it.

Really!  Do we have to resort to a personal attack on each other if we don't agree--or if we are bothered by a difference in personality in how we deliver our responses?  Shadow does have a way of stating his positions on how to use Ghost that suggests that his way is *the only way* or *the best way*--perhaps self-confidence to a fault!  But I've seen him state at the end of replies many times that he is expressing *his opinion*, it's how *he would do it*, but each person has to *make up their own mind*!

I know on some forums, it's the thing *to do* to attack someone who makes an incorrect statement or an uninformed opinion--that's just not helpful!

Look at my *signature*--after I had been on this forum for about a year, I made that comment to another forum member regarding some misinformation that was being presented--after posting I realized that was the *signature line* I was going to use!  There's lots of misinformation out there--Ghost is a complex program with well documented *poor documentation* on how to use it!  

I choose to simply present what I know works, based on my experience or testing of Ghost--or, the results that others have tested and reported--and let the reader decide--rather than trying to attack someone else.

Quote:
Ghost DOESN'T KNOW

Well, actually Ghost *might*!  Are we talking about the consumer retail Ghost 2003--or the corporate Ghost versions?

I know for a fact that Ghost 2003 has built-in optical drive drivers--your drive will show up in the source or destination menus with *@* in front of the drive description--so like this:

@your drive name here

If you use Ghost 2003 to burn an image to optical media using the built-in drivers, and later access that image using the built-in drivers--everything will work fine.  But, if you create an image to a HDD, then later burn it to optical media, and then use Ghost 2003's built-in optical drive drivers, Ghost 2003 will report that the image file is not a valid Ghost image file.  One solves that by using DOS optical drive drivers so a drive letter is assigned to the optical drive--then the image file will be recognized by Ghost 2003 without complaints!

Here's a quote from a recent thread where this problem occurred:  How to restore

Quote:
Go to my DVD and ghost tells me that this disc was not created by norton ghost...???
Does it have to be that?
With ghost i just wnat to get the image files...but because the disk have been burned with nero it can't read it?

This has been a frequently reported problem when using Ghost 2003!  I can't speak for the corporate versions of Ghost!

Quote:
GHOST CAN RESTORE AN IMAGE PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN TO HARD DRIVE AND MOVED TO OPTICAL MEDIA WITHOUT ISSUES.

I completely agree--if it's done correctly!!!  I have saved an image to a second internal HDD, transferred it to an external USB HDD, taken the image files to a different computer that had a DVD burner, transferred the image files from the USB HDD to the internal HDD of the second system, used Ghost Explorer to re-compile the image files to a smaller size so they'd fit better on the DVD media, burned the files to a DVD, and brought that DVD with the image files back to the original computer--the image file worked fine!  As long as you mount the image files correctly--everything works--and works easily!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:15pm

@
Hellsbones

Did a Google Search on:  not a valid ghost image file

Went to the top response link:  Not a Ghost Image File???

In Nigel Bree's response, he referenced another thread here:  
Ghost2003 Explorer can't handle multiple segments spread on HD and DVD?

I think the above reference addresses some of what Shadow was referencing:

Quote:
Only Nigel could tell you the technical reasons why, but it seems like when Ghost does a backup to a DVD, it writes the data a little differently than when it writes to a HD and spans the image into segments.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 9:31am

Quote:
Shadow, since I’ve come to know you I’ve found that your process is very one way directional, YOUR way. If nobody conforms to the way you do it, it's not the right way.

While I do not always agree with the options of Shadow on this forum, I do welcome (and appreciate) the viewpoints that he contributes. Exposure to diversity of thought is a key benefit from participating in this forum. We all learn through a process of attentive listening and constructive, respectful challenging of ideas.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 9:20pm

whatever works. 

in my experience, the shadow has never been incorrect.

best regards

wp

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2009 at 7:25am

At least i can say this for Ghost Corporate version, be it 8.xx or 11.xx.
On creating images first on harddisk and then burning it on CD/DVD didnt result in any errors. I had 5 images of 650MB each which were created of C: partition and then backed in folder on D: drive. Later same images were burnt on CDs and restored via booting in DOS mode.

Ghost use to pop up a msg asking for the next image and i would put the new disc inside and continue restore.

For ghost 2003 i cant comment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print