Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with Norton Save&Restore (Read 5461 times)
bx13
N00b

I Love Radified!

Problem with Norton Save&Restore
Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:46pm

Two years ago I created a back up for a lap top. Now I want to restore that saved file. The problem?  Same said software cannot open the iv2i file that it has created. I am getting Error:ED800016 and Error ED800019 when I try to open the files. Not surprisingly, customer support over at Norton are utterly and totally useless.

Does anyone have any suggestion for opening this file? Is it possible to use software other than Norton?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Problem with Norton Save&Restore
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 11:04pm

@
bx13

A couple of questions. Where has the recovery point been stored?
What size is the recovery point? I assume it is a base plus incrementals? How many files?
How are you trying to open the recovery point?
Can you verify the recovery point from the NSR boot CD?
Do you have other recovery points?  

IP Logged

bx13
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 4:00am

I have tried everything a dozen times and the same error message pops up every time. I have saved the iv2i file to an external hard drive but I have uninstalled the Norton program because it has proven itself to be useless. My question at this point is; can any other software open that file to retrieve my data? The file is less than 1G. Has the Norton software created a booby-trap that will damage/corrupt/destroy the data if I attempt to use another program? Sidebar: why is impossible to contact Norton via e-mail? I can not get a straight answer from those swine on the error codes.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 4:57am

Do you intend to answer my questions? How am I supposed to help unless I understand the problem.

IP Logged

bx13
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 11:10pm

Since I have uninstalled the utterly useless program, your questions are moot. The hacks who work the Norton chat helpline (no help at all) had no answers, why would you differ? The problem is/was that Norton Save and Restore could not open the very file that it had created. Now I want to know if the Norton software has inserted something in the file to prevent any other software from retrieving the data? I need to get that data and clearly no Norton software is capable of doing the job regardless of configuration.
I understand now why Norton does not allow its customers to send them e-mail, they would be swamped with complaints.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 11:35pm

@
bx13

Don't blame the Norton folks. The file you were trying to open was not a valid backup file. Sounds like you deleted the files that were needed to make it work.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:06am

@
bx13

Quote:
The hacks who work the Norton chat helpline (no help at all) had no answers, why would you differ?

I'm always amazed at folks who visit a forum such as ours--asking questions or for help--who seem to have a *chip* on their shoulder, and are willing to spit venom if they don't like the fact that they have to actually explain the specifics of the problem they are having!

If that's your *approach to life*--well, how's that working out for you?  And, good luck with that!

We *differ* because we are successful users of this software with years of experience--and we're willing to explore a person's difficulties--if we're given enough information to work with.

Quote:
I have tried everything a dozen times

I'm sure that means something to you--but I'm not *looking over your shoulder*--so it means nothing to me--or anyone else!

Why, if it isn't worth your time to answer our questions, do you think it's worth our time to answer yours?  Isn't there a *yin and yang* relationship that makes some sense to you?

Quote:
Now I want to know if the Norton software has inserted something in the file to prevent any other software from retrieving the data?

To my knowledge, there is nothing *inserted*--it is the nature of the program!  All *imaging* programs that I am aware of use *proprietary* file formats, and only that company's program can read and manipulate the image file created by their software.

If you did not test the image file at the time it was created to make sure the Norton program was able to mount and use the image file, there's always the chance that the image file was corrupt in some way.

Similarly, if you don't test the recovery function of the program with your system's hardware before you need it, well--you're just guessing that it will actually work when you need it!  Not all imaging software is compatible with all system's hardware setups!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print