Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10.0 doesn't detect hard disk (Read 11651 times)
gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 10.0 doesn't detect hard disk
Apr 27th, 2009 at 9:57am

Attempting to restore from Ghost 10.0 backup on Windows XP.  Booted from product disk with external recovery point drive connected to USB.

Ghost sees only one disk, which it calls C:, and that is the external drive.  So it can't see the hard drive.

There's a message in Norton forums suggesting this can be solved with a custom recovery disk but that requires Ghost 14 so I should upgrade.  Not sure how I can upgrade when my machine is dead and needs recovery but thought I'd try.  Norton says 10 cannot be upgraded to 14!

So now I'm stuck.  Anyone have any ideas how I can get Ghost 10 to recognize my hard drive?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Re: Ghost 10.0 doesn't detect hard disk
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 10:13am

If your internal hard drive is DEAD, Ghost (any version) won't see it.

If you boot up the PC to the bios screen, is the internal HD shown in the drive list?

IP Logged

gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 10:18am

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  It's Windows that is dead (lots of blue screens) but the hard drive is OK.  When I start the PC using the 'ThinkVantage' utilities, that is, outside of Windows, everything on the C: drive looks fine and all hardware diagnostics pass.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 1:24pm

how did you create the image/restore point?

if you created it to the external, that means ghost was able to (at some point) see the external, yes?

make sure the external drive is powered on. sometimes my external doesn't automatcally power up, and i have to press the little blue button. but i can hear when it has spun up.

regarding custom cd's, maybe nightowl's guide can be of some help:

http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

perhaps you could use some files on your ghost 10 to make it work. i dunno. just a thought. never tried anything like that myself.

what external drive do you have?

IP Logged

gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 1:42pm

I guess I still wasn't clear.

The drives I really have are
   internal drive   C:  with Windows and all my data
   external USB drive  F:  with Ghost recovery data sets

Windows is not working so I want to restore C: internal drive to last week's backup from F:.

I boot with the Ghost product CD, and Ghost says that the only drive it sees is the external one with the recovery data on it but it's calling that external drive C: !!   And it cannot see my internal drive at all.

I know the internal drive is OK because all hardware diagnostics pass.

In the Norton forum somebody said you could get a custom recovery disk that would work for this kind of thing but only in Ghost 14, and I've got Ghost 10.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 1:59pm

sees only the external but not the internal. never heard of that one b4.

how do you know it's seeing only the external?

after you initially created the image, did you boot with the cd to verify that it could indeed see both drives? (always a good idea)

in other words, was there ever a time when the boot cd worked as it should?

what hardware diags are you talkng about? seems something is obvously very wrong with the drive.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 2:24pm

gh wrote on Apr 27th, 2009 at 1:42pm:
I boot with the Ghost product CD, and Ghost says that the only drive it sees is the external one with the recovery data on it but it's calling that external drive C: !! And it cannot see my internal drive at all.

Is your internal drive a SATA drive?  If so, depending upon your motherboard, you may have to press F6 while booting the Ghost CD, and insert your SATA drivers into the diskette a: drive (yes I know that's old fashioned.)

Newer versions of Ghost (such as 14) allow you to create a custom boot cd with special drivers on them.  Plus newer versions (12 and 14) contain more up to date support.

Not sure if this is your problem, but on an older pc, I had to use the F6/diskette option myself to recognize the SATA drive, which was connected to a SATA pci card on my pc.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 2:31pm

I know it's the external one because you can choose Analyze/Explore My Computer in Ghost and see what files are there. 

I didn't try booting from CD when it was new since I had used the identical Ghost 10 product on my old laptop to restore it when the disk crashed and it worked perfectly, so when I bought the new laptop I bought another copy of Ghost 10 and have been backing up with it ever since.

That was a mistake, I guess, to assume Windows XP + Ghost 10 works the same on both machines(!)

I can run diagnostics by starting the PC outside of Windows.  Thinkpad has a utility called ThinkVantage that starts up in a kind of safe mode and can run all the hardware diagnostics.  They all passed, including the internal disk.  I also can see all the files on internal C: from ThinkVantage and also from Windows.  That's why I'm so sure the disk itself is OK.  It's just that Windows keeps crashing with blue screen so I want to go back to before the last change I made.

I suppose it could be that there is something intermittent wrong with the internal disk or disk controller that just happens to be always found by Ghost and only sometimes found by Windows.  Maybe I'll see if Lenovo has a longer-running disk diagnostic program. 

But it is mentioned in the Norton forums (and I think it is the same problem) as being missing drivers.  Norton forum Norton Community : Norton Users Discussion Forum : Other Norton Products : Re: Ghost 10 Recovery - NIC Driver   first message dated Jan 17 '09 so unless I am misunderstanding that, it's happened before.  The answer given says upgrade to Ghost 14 but Norton says 10 cannot be upgraded to 14.

IP Logged

gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 2:34pm

Thanks, John.  It looks like (from the Lenovo web page) that it is a SATA internal drive.

I should be able to get the driver from Lenovo but getting it onto the A: drive could be a problem, since there is no A: drive!  It's two years old but diskette drives were already gone by then.

I'll see what happens when I press F6.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 3:45pm

IP Logged

gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 4:14pm

Wow, you guys are great! Thanks.  I'll get to work making a CD with the driver included. 

(I had tried to convince Windows to think that a thumb drive was A: by changing it in Control Panel, but it did not retain the change when re-booting from CD.)

One thing to note is that according to the Norton forums that last link of Brian's about ordering a custom CD from Symantec seems to be out of date.  According to a recent thread in their forum, those requests are ignored because you need to upgrade to Ghost 14 except that 10 cannot be upgraded to 14 so it's Catch 22.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 5:39pm

If you don't get your custom boot cd to work, you can buy an external usb diskette drive for about $15-$20.

Here's just one example:

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 10:35pm

I have one of those USB floppies for such an occasion. Didn't think it would work but it works just like a regular floppy. Got mine at Newegg. Cheap. And they ship super-fast. I think you found the problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH...

IP Logged

gh
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 3:41pm

To let you all know the end of the story:  I ordered a USB floppy drive which is going to arrive tomorrow but in the meantime a guy across the hall heard my sad story and loaned me his Ghost 12 product disk.  That recognized my internal drive and successfully restored my Ghost 10 recovery data so Windows is working now in the condition it was in last week.

If anyone else has this problem here is a summary of the three different methods that can solve it:

1.  Buy or borrow Ghost 12 or higher CD.
2.  Put the SATA drivers on a diskette and press F6 while booting from the Ghost 10 CD to add those drivers.
3.  Follow the instructions in the links in reply #9 above to build a new Ghost 10 CD image including the drivers.

And don't make my original mistake of assuming Ghost 10 would work on this machine because it worked so well on my old machine.  Do a test restore when Ghost is new to resolve all these problems.  If I had done that, I could have created the driver diskette or the edited CD image that I needed urgently this week a long time ago.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 3:45pm

@
gh

All's well that ends well. Nice work.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2