Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can Ghost2003 backup a multibooting system? (Read 4220 times)
snark
N00b

I Love Radified!

Can Ghost2003 backup a multibooting system?
May 16th, 2009 at 3:47am

I installed Debain 5.0 and WinXP on my laptop, and want to backup the system with Ghost2003. I just don't know if Ghost could make it.

Could anyone tell me? Smiley

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Re: Can Ghost2003 backup a multibooting system?
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2009 at 6:07am

Yes it will, if , you do a Disk to Disk or Disk to image, to an external drive.
A disk to image can even be done to a DVD, if you have a DVD writer in your laptop. Wink
Use HIGH compression when backing up to DVD's, to minimize the number of disks required.

Good Luck,

IP Logged

snark
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2009 at 8:06pm

But someone tell me Ghost can'g backup Master Boot Record on the disk... ...  Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2009 at 9:29am

@
snark

Quote:
I installed Debain 5.0 and WinXP on my laptop, and want to backup the system with Ghost2003. I just don't know if Ghost could make it.

Does *Debain* use any part of the boot *region* other than the first absolute sector 0--that sector has the Master Boot Record, and the Master Partition Table.

The boot *region* is sectors 0 thru 62--some boot programs (and other software--for instance *rootkits* and certain copy protection schemes, etc.) use portions of sectors 1-62.

Ghost 2003's default behavior is to backup and restore only absolute sector 0--if you need to include sectors 1-62, then the Ghost switch *-ib* (image boot) needs to be used.  You must use a whole disk procedure--i.e. *disk to disk*, or *disk to image* when you have specified the *-ib* switch--can not use *partition to partition* or *partition to image* procedures.  So Ghost would be started with this command line:

ghost.exe -ib

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

snark
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2009 at 9:26am

NightOwl wrote on May 17th, 2009 at 9:29am:
Ghost 2003's default behavior is to backup and restore only absolute sector 0--if you need to include sectors 1-62, then the Ghost switch *-ib* (image boot) needs to be used.You must use a whole disk procedure--i.e. *disk to disk*, or *disk to image* when you have specified the *-ib* switch--can not use *partition to partition* or *partition to image* procedures.So Ghost would be started with this command line:

ghost.exe -ib

I don't know if Debian would use other sectors, yet it deserves to try.
It's great to learn. Thank you. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print