Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restoring: Is this dialog correct? (Read 3971 times)
voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Restoring: Is this dialog correct?
Sep 8th, 2009 at 5:05am

Using Ghost 2003, I've not had to restore a partition for several years, so am unsure as to whether the dialog I've now seen in the DOS environment is correct. Can someone tell me whether the following seems correct?

BTW, I'm using a floppy bootdisk, made with WinXP, and containing Build 793. I'm trying to restore my root partition from an image previously made into a reserved partition on the same drive. I've booted into Ghost's DOS environment, clicked Local>Partition>From Image. Following the onscreen dialog, I've then entered the source filename (ie. the filename from which I'm wanting to restore) and pressed Open.

Now, it's the next bit that's confusing me, as it's:

Select Source Partition from Image File

and, on that particular screen, another table is displayed. However, I'm completely confused by it, as there is only one volume listed in the table and, from the data in the table, the volume being listed is my root partition (ie. C:). Is this correct? Surely, C should not be the Source Partition, in this case?! I can tell it's C, as I recognise the unformatted partition size.

The steps that come after that are unambiguous, though.

Obviously, not being sure, I aborted the restore. I stand to lose everything if I get it wrong.

So, what does "Select Source Partition from Image File" really mean? Does my description make it look as though Ghost is selecting, for this restore, the wrong source partition?

The original imagefile (from which I'm now wanting to restore) is of the contents of Partition C only. All my imagefiles are stored in Partition D. So, I'm restoring from a selected imagefile in Partition D, to Partition C.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Restoring: Is this dialog correct?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 5:38am

Hello voximan!

Quote:
I've booted into Ghost's DOS environment, clicked Local>Partition>From Image. Following the onscreen dialog, I've then
entered
the source filename (ie. the filename from which I'm wanting to restore) and pressed Open.

What do you mean by "enter"? I always use the "tab button" to navigate to a drop-down menu, select partition and finally select the image file.

Quote:
Select Source Partition
from
Image File

and, on that particular screen, another table is displayed. However, I'm completely confused by it, as there is only one volume listed in the table and, from the data in the table, the volume being listed is my root partition (ie. C:). Is this correct? Surely, C should not be the Source Partition, in this case?! I can tell it's C, as I recognise the unformatted partition size.

The key word is in red colour. C: on you HDD is not referred to but C: within the Image File.

An Image, stored on a certain partition, can not be restored by Ghost to that same partition (since Ghost has to read from it).

Take it slow and verify each step in - "select source" and "select target".

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 5:50am

Christer,

Yes, to enter the source filename, you can navigate inside the dropdown menu. I'm having to use the dropdown, anyway, but it's just that I prefer to type in the filename rather than select it.

Ah, I see what you mean by the significance of "from". However, surely an imagefile would only ever contain one partition, wouldn't it? So, surely, normally there'd be no selection to pick from?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 8:01am

Quote:
However, surely an imagefile would only ever contain one partition, wouldn't it?

I've never done it but you can create Disk-to-Image of e.g. a HDD containing a system partition [C:] and a data partition [D:] and store the image file on a second HDD on partition [E:].

Quote:
So, surely, normally there'd be no selection to pick from?

If you choose to restore "Local>Partition>From Image" from a file, created "Disk-to-Image", I think that you, after selecting the Image file, get to select source partition (either one) from that image file and finally select the target partition.

In this situation, fat fingers might be annoying ... Undecided ... but not disastrous since you would only have to restore both partitions ... Shocked ... until you get it right ... Wink ... !

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:00am

The file was originally created as Local>Partition>Image, so I don't understand why it offers me that somewhat ambiguous dialog. Anyway, it appears that that dialog is nonetheless correct and that all I need do is to select what's there and to move to the next step.

POSTSCRIPT: I've now restored the partition. Phew! It's always a heart-in-the-mouth moment.

I find that, if when restoring you select the source filename from out of the dropdown list, the dialog moves on so quickly that you're not given a chance to see that Ghost has actually chosen what you chose; literally, in a flash after clicking on Save, it moves to the next step. This is why I prefer to actually type the filename into the box instead.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print