Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
can't boot to windows (Read 15669 times)
SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

can't boot to windows
Oct 3rd, 2009 at 12:54pm

I was trying to clone the HD in my wife's Dell to an exteral HD.  She has WinXP and I'm using Ghost 2003.  I'm stuck at the DOS start up screen.  If I select option 1 to run Ghost, nothing happens.  Likewise, if I select option 2 to return to windows nothing happens.  I can get to a C:/> prompt.  Tried changing directories to GHOST and tried running "ghreboot.exe" and nothing happens.  I tried running Ghost from the DOS prompt and get the Ghost program screen, but all is blank.  It's been years since i used DOS and can't remember anything else to try.  How can I get back to Windows?
Thanks, in advance.
Steve

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: can't boot to windows
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 4:45pm

@
SteveR

Quote:
Tried changing directories to GHOST and tried running "ghreboot.exe" and nothing happens.

Not sure what didn't happen?  Were you able to change to the Ghost subdirectory and you were able to run *ghreboot* and it didn't work?  Or you were not able to change directories and run *ghreboot*?

If *ghreboot* doesn't work, then you have to manually edit the partition table--hiding the Ghost virtual partition and unhiding the OS partition and making the OS partition active again.

Here's resources to help:

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

If the *automated GhReboot* does not work, check this thread on how to use the Symantec Ghost DOS command line partitioning program, *gdisk*, as to how to manually change the active partition back to your original partition:

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found

Other partitioning tools (such as PartitionMagic, or this free tool MBRWizard - The MBR Management Utility that can change partitions from active to inactive, and can hide and unhide partitions--as well as delete partitions from the Master Partition Table--can also be used to manually reset the correct active OS partition for booting!

This is another tool: 

And, this probably can come in handy:  MBRtool

Quote:
New: the MBRtool download now includes an easy to use boot diskette builder that will assist you in creating a diskette or bootable CD/DVD.

Initially, you want to simply *Display* the partitions on the boot drive--read the User Manual to get an idea of how to do that!

Always be careful with a MBR tool--a wrong edit can really screw things up!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 5:16pm

I was able to change the directory to "ghost" and then tried to execute "ghreboot.exe".  From the ghost directory, nothing happened when I typed in ghreboot and hit enter so it appears that's not working.

Thank you for the reply. I'll read the recommended thread and materials and give them a try.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 8:59am

@
SteveR

Quote:
I was able to change the directory to "ghost" and then tried to execute "ghreboot.exe". 

Can you do a directory command (dir--then enter)?  Is the Ghost partitioning tool *gdisk.exe* also present in that directory?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 9:31am

@
SteveR

Here's some references on using *gdisk*:

Switches: GDisk

Switches: GDisk and GDisk32 for Norton Ghost 2003

IP Logged

SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:06pm

As a matter of fact, gdisk is present in the ghost directory, so we may be in business.  I'm going to read the materials referenced in the last post and maybe give this a try.  My (admittitedly limited) understanding so far is that i'm simply switching partitions from active to inactive.  We're not making MBR changes that couldn't be reversed; correct?

My fear is screwing up the MBR and losing everything.

IP Logged

SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:56pm

OK, I can get to a C:\> by stepping through the steps from the initinal DOS screen (the one with option 1 to run Ghost and option 2 to return to Win).  I enter "1" + use the F8 key to togle the line at the bottom of the scree in the DOS screen so that a "Y" appears in the line indicating "confirm each line of Config sys and autoexec bat"

1st thing that come up is LASTDRIVE = z [y,n,esc]?
I type Y + enter

Next thing that comes up is "Device=\USB\ASPIEHCI.SYS /INT /ALL [Y,N,ESC]?"
I type N + enter

Next thing that comes up is "Process AUTOEXEC.BAT [Y,N]?"
I type N + enter

This is how I found I can get to a c prompt.  Screen indicates I have DOS Version 7.10

i typed CD ghost + enter and got to c:\GHOST>
i typed dir + enter and saw the following:

"Volume in drive C is -VPSGHBOOT-
Volume Serial Number is 2C03-17E4
Directory of C:\GHOST

. <DIR>
.. <DIR>
GHREBOOT  EXE
GHOST  EXE
GDISK  EXE
GHSTWALK  EXE
GHWRAP  EXE
GSCRIPT  TXT
  8 file(s) 2,368,542 bytes
             5,391,360 bytes free

C:\GHOST>"

from C:\GHOST> I typed "gdisk/status" (also tried gdisk_/status) + enter.  Also tried just typing "gdisk" + enter.

Nothing happens and I lose my C prompt

Thanks for your continuing help...

IP Logged

SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 2:58pm

I should add that from this point the only way I've found to get back to a C prompt is to restart the computer and start over.

IP Logged

SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 3:18pm

More info:
I found I can use the F8 togle to step through initiating the running of Ghost (step 1  on the initial screen).  I get past various steps until i get to "GHWRAP.EXE [Y,N,ESC]?
After entering Y I get:
"The previouys operation has failed.
Please enter the number of the action you wish to take;
[1] Exit to Dos
[2] Return to Windows.
[3] Retry the operation.

If no action is selected, the computer will return to Windows in "_" seconds.
returning to Windows..."

At this point it hangs.  I suspect all that's really going on here is it's trying to run ghreboot, which we've already established isn't working.

This is a lot to post, i know, but I'm trying to provide as much data as possible.

Thanks...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 9:25pm

@
SteveR

Quote:
My (admittitedly limited) understanding so far is that i'm simply switching partitions from active to inactive.  We're not making MBR changes that couldn't be reversed; correct?

Correct--but, so far we're not even doing that!  We're also *hiding* the Ghost *virtual paritition*!

Quote:
from C:\GHOST> I typed "gdisk/status" (also tried gdisk_/status) + enter.  Also tried just typing "gdisk" + enter.

Nothing happens and I lose my C prompt

Darn--it's always frustrating when the *simple* stuff doesn't work! 

So, let's continue....

Firstly--don't get frustrated and try something in *desperation*--I still think we can recover--we just need to find the right settings and tool that will work.

So, obviously there's something interfering with DOS and the running of the DOS Ghost programs. 

Let's find out more about the system:

Is the HDD SATA or PATA?  If SATA, are you able to get to the system's BIOS and look around there?  What you want to find is the options for the SATA controller.  You're looking for something like *Combined* or *Compatibility Mode* or *DOS* mode or something such as that.  If you find something along that line, you want to change it to whichever mode is similar to the above and not something that is SATA only. 

Write down the current setting before you change it.  This will be only a temporary change just to get this problem solved in DOS.  Then we will change it back before attempting to boot to Windows.  If this doesn't make sense--ask questions before proceeding.

Then once you select the *DOS* mode, save the changes, re-boot and let the DOS boot files run.  If you have been successful in booting, try running *ghreboot* again.  Did it work this time?  If no, try running *gdisk*.  Did this work this time?

If neither of those worked, try re-booting to DOS, but this time hit you F8 key for the step-by-step confirmation of loading the boot files.  Say *Y* (yes) to everything except say *N* (no) to the line you said no to previously ("Device=\USB\ASPIEHCI.SYS /INT /ALL [Y,N,ESC]?").  Again try *ghreboot* and *gdisk*--results?

If any of the above work--then re-boot, but go to the BIOS immediately and reset the SATA controller to its original setting.

Let us know if this works.  If not, then we will have to try other Master Boot Record utilities that hopefully will work!

Don't give up!!!!

IP Logged

SteveR
Dude

I Love Radified!

texas

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:15pm

Don't know if's a SATA drive, i've never opened the case on this machine.  ( I did build my machine myself, but just bought a basic machine for my wife).  I suspect SATA as it's not that old?  I was in BIOS erlier.  I'll check tomorrow and report back. 
No worries, I'm not giving up.  It's too much work to start from scratch!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 10:47pm

@
NightOwl

For my own interest I started a Ghost 2003 backup from Windows. When the backup was 10% completed I pressed the power button to shutdown the computer. I then booted from a BING CD to look at the partition table. The VPSGHBOOT partition was active, size 16065 sectors and was situated inside the WinXP partition. Its starting sector was about two thirds into the WinXP partition. I had two partitions on the HD prior to using Ghost and there was a large area of unallocated space following the WinXP partition.

I deleted the VPSGHBOOT partition, set WinXP partition active and the OS booted. I know I wasn't "stuck" in the virtual partition but would you expect the above method to work for people stuck in the virtual partition?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 12:54am

@
Brian

Quote:
I know I wasn't "stuck" in the virtual partition but would you expect the above method to work for people stuck in the virtual partition?

Yes!

As best I understand the Ghost 2003 *virtual partition*--it's a place holder in the Master Partition Table that points to a file that is created by the Windows Ghost interface when you set up a Ghost procedure from within Windows.  The file is in the root directory of the OS partition--at least on my systems.  I can't remember the file name--I always delete it, and I haven't used the Windows Ghost interface in a couple years now.

The size of the file can be varied.  In the Windows Ghost interface, you can change the size of Ghost's *virtual partition*, and you can customize and add whatever files you wish to be available when you boot to that *virtual partition*--those customizations get saved to that file in that root directory of the OS partition.

Quote:
I deleted the VPSGHBOOT partition

That deleted the *place holder* in the Master Partition Table that points to that file, but the file created by the Windows Ghost interface will still be in the root directory of your HDD.

I believe that getting trapped in Ghost's *virtual partition* happens because when you set things up in Windows, Ghost is using the Windows drivers for the HDD controllers, the optical drive controllers, the USB HDD controllers and so everything shows up fine and Ghost can access everything--no problem.  So Ghost edits the Master Boot Record, adding it's entry for the Ghost partition, sets it active and hides and sets the OS partition inactive using the access provided by the Windows drivers.

So, when you then boot to DOS using the files in that file created by the Windows Ghost interface, if the BIOS does not support the various components in a compatible fashion, then Ghost gets hosed because it no longer can talk to those components the way it did using the Windows drivers.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 2:01am

@
NightOwl

I looked in my C: drive and there was a 26 MB file, VIRTPART.DAT. No problem with deleting it. I'll try everything again and bailout of Ghost at 90% this time.

Edit... The file was still 26 MB

Edit... The file was still present after a full Ghost backup to completion

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 8:28am

@
Brian

Quote:
VIRTPART.DAT

That's the name!  Thanks Brian!

Quote:
Edit... The file was still 26 MB

The file size only changes if you go into the Ghost *Options*.  There you will see in the left side list near the bottom *Virtual Partition Free Space* where you can increase it or decrease it in 1 MB increments--default is 2 MB.

Quote:
Edit... The file was still present after a full Ghost backup to completion

Correct.  For whatever reason, Ghost was not programed to delete that file after it completes the DOS task and returns to Windows.  The next time you do a Ghost procedure, it will have a changed *Created* or *Modified* date.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print