Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using vPro, Ghost and BARTPE to image remote machine (Read 5395 times)
scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Using vPro, Ghost and BARTPE to image remote machine
Dec 10th, 2009 at 1:45pm

We started taking advantage of the vPro technology and are no able to boot into and remote control the BIOS of a machie (among numerous other benifits), and here is my dilima:

I use Ghost version 8 and create .GHO image files, I then boot to a BARTPE thumbdrive (after changing the BIOS from AHCI to IDE) start all network options inside BARTPE, map a network drive to the serrver that houses the .GHO files and then inside BARTPE I fire up Ghost and image the machine.

What I am thinking is I would like to do this for our remote desktops/laptops using this vPro technology, the issue I am having is that I can boot to an image file or .ISO but it does not recongnize the .GHO files. Is it possible to turn these .GHO files into an ISO file?

What if I could boot into BARTPE and have it start the network processes and map a drive automatically? (seems like BART was able to do that before but I can't seem to get that to work now).

Can I get the BART ISO file loaded on a C:\ drive and have the machine boot to that?

I hope this all makes sense to you!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Using vPro, Ghost and BARTPE to image remote machine
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 2:06pm

@
scj6771

I'm not familiar with your method but while you are waiting for an answer could I give you some alternative ideas.

From Windows on my computer I can initiate an image backup of any remote computer on our home network. The image can be written to another partition on that remote computer or to a shared folder on another computer. Just double clicking a batch file in my computer starts it off. Easy.

I use psexec with Image for Windows. In a home situation, an IFW license is good for 3 computers.

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 3:59pm

At this point if I could get the PE Network Configurator and VNC to automatically start that would be great.

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 7:45am

Let's say Joe Blow in Chicago has a machine that I would like to image rather quickly, as it stands now, Joe has to send us the machine by FedEx, we image and send back. I would like to be able to boot into into the BIOS of a vPro enabled machine, (which I can do at this time) make the change from AHCI to IDE, load a BARTPE ISO which will automatically assign an ip address and pull an image from the server that resides at that location.

Can you boot a machine into BARTPE from within itself? Or does it have to be on a thumbdrive (which is what we currently do)

At this time I would like to have the PE Network Configurator and VNV start automaticaly.

I would really just like to be able to troubleshoot and image machines at our other locations more effectivly. Below is what I have inside the PENETCFG.INI Thanks for your time.

Code:
[General]
AutoStartNet=Yes
PromptForProfile=No
ShowGUI=No

[NetProfiles]
Dynamic IP Address (DHCP)= penetcfg-dhcp.ini
Static IP Address (Manual)= penetcfg-static.ini
Custom from A:\= a:\penetcfg.ini
Custom from C:\= c:\penetcfg.ini

; You will get the settings below if you hit
; escape/cancel on the profile dialog
[NetAdapter1]
EnableDHCP=Yes
UseStaticGateway=No
UseStaticDNS=No
UseStaticWINS=No
IPAddress=
SubnetMask=
DefaultGateway=
DNSServer=

[PostNetAutorun]
3 = %SystemDrive%\Programs\ultravnc\ultravnc.cmd

IP Logged

scj6771
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

usa

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:39am

Ok let's backtrack for a moment, I first need the following to happen automatticaly:

Load BARTPE ---> Start penetcfg automatically using DHCP ---> Map network drive ---> Start ghost.

I found this article and did as suggested but still nothing is loading at startup. - [url="http://www.gregellison.net/general/setup-bart-pe-and-ghost-how-to/[/url]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print