Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
General Protection Fault with Ghost 2003 (Read 7965 times)
George
N00b

I Love Luddites!

Toronto, On, ca

General Protection Fault with Ghost 2003
Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:01am

Boot from floppy created on other computer/s

Ghost 03 from boxed 10 produced the fault at the start of loading disk 2, "containing Ghost.exe"
Ghost 02 from boxed System Works 01 worked although I haven't verified the clone.

The 03 disks were made on a different computer than the M4A79, as was the disk from 02 (it's an old copy from a long time ago)
Cloning on IDE from slave, new WD, to master, new Lite-on.

Why would the 02 work but not the 03?
Any suggestions?

Edit

BIOS

- Express Gate:      disabled      (instant-on internet and skype)
- AI Net2:                  disabled      (check LAN cable)
- Lan:                        disabled
- SATA:                  auto

- eSATA:                  auto

- Firewire:                  disabled
- USB:                        enabled      
     (all inc. high speed)
- EHCI Hand-Off:      enabled

- ACPI 2.0:                  enabled

- ACPI APIC:            enabled

- GART report:            disabled
- Microcode "Updation": enabled

- Secure VM:                  enabled

- Cool n Quiet:                  disabled
- ACPI SRAT:                  enabled

- CPU Prefetch:            enabled

- C1E:                              disabled
- ACC:                              disabled
- PnP OS:                        disabled
- Q-Fan Control:            disabled

GP_Fault_d.png (63 KB | 643 )
GP_Fault_d.png

- M4A79 Dlx, AthII  |   WD ide Seagate sata
- (btw, this machine rocks and is whisper quiet with 4 case/1mosfet  fans and 90x25 high pressure on the chip)
- Win7pro, XPpro, 2kpro, Linux

IP Logged

George
N00b

I Love Luddites!

Toronto, On, ca

Re: General Protection Fault with Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 9:06am

Nobody?

Could it be because of trying to clone on a different machine than the one Ghost was installed on? (I have three liscences after all)

I can try disabling various things like sata if that is not the case.

- (btw, this machine rocks and is whisper quiet with 4 case/1mosfet  fans and 90x25 high pressure on the chip)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 11:00am

@
George

Quote:
Why would the 02 work but not the 03?
Any suggestions?

I probably answered that question in your other thread that I read first and answered there--

but,...Ghost 2002 is not SATA aware--so the presence of a SATA controller is probably ignored.  But, Ghost 2003 is SATA aware and is probably trying to mount that controller to see if there is a HDD attached.  But, if Ghost 2003 and the SATA controller are not compatible both in settings and software/hardware compatibility--probably Ghost is *freezing* when it tries to communicate with one of those SATA controllers.

And, Ghost 2003 may be compatible with *std* SATA, but perhaps not *eSATA*--I don't know how much differences there may be!

Some SATA controllers have been optimized to work best with Windows based OSs--and not DOS.  So, often DOS programs will not boot or work correctly if SATA is set to those optimized settings for Windows.  In the BIOS, some systems let you select the *Mode* setting for SATA--the terms I've seen reported are *combined* or *compatibility* for use with DOS based Ghost.

If the system is set to use SATA in its Windows optimized settings, then you could possibly shut down Windows, re-boot, go to the BIOS, set SATA to *compatibility* mode, save and do your DOS Ghost.  Then re-boot and go to the BIOS again, switch SATA back to the Windows optimized settings and then boot to Windows again!

Some folks found that they may have to use a switch to start Ghost that allows functioning with SATA controllers--the *-fni* switch.  I don't know if that switch needs to be used with the SATA *mode* setting set to *compatibility* as well--you would have to experiment!

But, the build of Ghost 2003 that came with your Ghost 10 boxed program should be the most recent version of Ghost 2003--i.e. build 793.  Most folks seem to *not* have SATA problems with that build--but each system is unique!

Quote:
Could it be because of trying to clone on a different machine than the one Ghost was installed on?

Usually, the boot disks are not specific to the system that they are made on--at least with Ghost 2003!

Quote:
I can try disabling various things like sata

That would be the best approach--and possible not *disabling* but changing the *mode* might work--and/or using the *-fni* switch to start Ghost:

ghost.exe -fni

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

George
N00b

I Love Luddites!

Toronto, On, ca

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 11:23am

Ty NightOwl,
I'll try it again without sata/e-sata, hopefully at some point I'll get it working with the sata.
I don't believe there are any finer options than enable/disable sata, perhaps in a newer bios. I'll check to be sure of course.
For the moment getting the machine set up correctly (with some clones...) is priority
Christmas is coming!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print