Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why is incremental job creating a full recovery point? (Read 2877 times)
BJB
Dude

I Love Radified!

Why is incremental job creating a full recovery point?
Jan 24th, 2010 at 11:42am

I typically do full recovery points (in the old days what I would call a full, one-time backup).

However I purposely setup a job that created a baseline backup, and allowed for incrementals after that.

I just ran that job after say 60 days, and based on the time (and the fact that it says "creating recovery point", it definitely is doing another full backup.

I know about the settings regarding a new baseline every x days....I had set that to never.  I am using an external drive.

I did a search on this but a lot of those situations seem to be different.  Mine is pretty straightforward.  One drive, one partition, to external drive...running same job 60 days later.

Is there some setting I missed?  It did not ask for a new filename or file location so it is looking at the right drive destination.

Any ideas appreciated.  This is Ghost 14 on Vista 64....using Ghost 15 on another machine but have not made the change yet on this one. 

BJB

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Why is incremental job creating a full recovery point?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 12:18am

@
BJB

I'm not surprised. After 60 days there will be enough sector changes to trigger a full backup rather than an incremental. Pretty standard for Ghost. Try an incremental a day after a full image backup just to make sure it is working.

IP Logged

Joey
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: Why is incremental job creating a full recovery point?
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 4:52pm

What Brian said is confirmed. For me, after I create a full recovery point, the incrementals created afterwards near that time are quick and small in size. But after a period of time, they get slower and bigger. It even gets to the point where incrementals takes longer to create and are bigger than the full recovery point.

When I see that start to happen, I clean up all the recovery points and start all over again by creating a fresh new full recovery point and incrementals after that.

I'm using Norton Ghost 15 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print