Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need to download .793 update ghost 2003 (Read 16560 times)
2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Need to download .793 update ghost 2003
Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:20pm

The Symantic archive site is not working.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Need to download .793 update ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 1:13pm

I too get an error. I tried downloading a new hosts file but no luck. For how long have you tried? It can be a temporary situation.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 4:25pm

3 DAYS

IP Logged

2002z06
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 4:26pm

Anyone have it in a zip or exe stored on there pc? I would appreciate it.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:43am

The update from http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513 ;worked without problem when I tried it just now.  Note Internet Explorer is required for it to work if memory serves.  You may need to run it 2 or 3 times to get to .793 build because it updates just 1 level on each run through the process.  Try again now using Internet Explorer and reply with results including any error messages given.

Edited:
By NightOwl:  the link above had an extra *space* included in it--made Symantec report that if could not find the FAQ--don't know exactly why the space was there--seemed to be added by the Forum software--but corrected now

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 11:52am

@
Tator

I'm getting an error on your above link from Symantec saying it can't find that FAQ--can you re-check it?

Quote:
Note Internet Explorer is required for it to work if memory serves.

I think you need MS Internet Explorer to run the scripts to update the LiveUpdate program from the webpage--but, when you run LiveUpdate from within the Ghost program, you do not actually use Internet Explorer at that point--LiveUpdate connects via its FTP access to the update server.

But, I've been having an error message saying that LiveUpdate was unable to access the *host* server--it very briefly flashes that message in the status line at the bottom of the LiveUpdate screen before reporting:

Quote:
LU1834:  Update Not Found

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 11:59am

I just tried it at 12:56 ET, and it goes directly to the Symantec update page and works as it did earlier.  I'm running IE7.  Do you think it could be some IE version issue, i.e. problems with IE6, IE8, etc.?

Edit:  Just tried again about 14:30 ET with both IE7 and IE6 and got "LU1834 :  Liveupdate could not find an update file on the server" in step 4 of the update procedure.  This seems to indicate it's a Symantec problem and not an IE version issue.  Has anyone contacted Symantec about the problem?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 9:29am

@
Tator

Quote:
Edit:  Just tried again about 14:30 ET with both IE7 and IE6 and got "LU1834 :  Liveupdate could not find an update file on the server" in step 4 of the update procedure.

So, you're following this FAQ--How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server ?

I tried again this morning and still get the same error:

Quote:
LU1834:  Update Not Found

and just before that error message is reported, down in the message line showing the progress of the LiveUpdate procedure, after saying that LiveUpdate is connecting to the Archive Server--it flashes briefly:

Quote:
Unable to connect to Host

Quote:
This seems to indicate it's a Symantec problem and not an IE version issue.

Agreed!

Quote:
Has anyone contacted Symantec about the problem?

I think I'll send them an email!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:03am

Yes, I'm using that FAQ link, and I also get "Unable to connect to Host" before the "LU1834:  LiveUpdate could not find an update file on the server" message.  I even did some Google searches and found links to what were supposed to be the 789 and 793 updates from Princeton University, but none of them worked which isn't surprising since Ghost 2003 is copyrighted.  I also tried the FAQ link steps with my anti-virus and firewall disabled that resulted in the same error messages.  Hopefully Symantec will fix the problem.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:50am

@
Tator

I'm curious:

Quote:
I just tried it at 12:56 ET, and it goes directly to the Symantec update page and works as it did earlier.

Were you using an *older* LiveUpdate program when you did that successfully--and then did you re-do the procedure to update *LiveUpdate*--and it's that latest version of LiveUpdate that then is giving you the problem?!

Maybe the most recent LiveUpdate has the wrong server address for the Archive server! 

Or, maybe it's that *Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate* file that has the wrong *host* address!

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 1:18pm

I used the same FAQ link on all attempts and have no explanation for its working in only one of several attempts.  I think you're right that the files are either on another server or there may be a problem with the current server since it shows "Unable to connect to Host." 

I just sent email about the problem to Marian from the "Ask Marian A Question" link at http://www.symantec.com/norton/familyresources/index.jsp. ; In the email I explaoined the problem, asked if Symantec is aware of the problem and if it might soon be fixed.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:37am

Reply received from yesterday's email to Marian that said she didn't know answers to my questions and gave me link to http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/bd-p/other where users are sharing info.  I find no mention of the problem at the hot issues and hot fixes link there.  I registered and posted the problem on that board where others may check to see if a resolution to the problem is posted.

IP Logged

26kick
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 11:23am

Please add me to the list of those subscribed to this thread, looking for a solution. 

Thanks

P.S.  This makes me wonder if Symantec pulled the .793 files from their server at the beginning of the new year.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:17am

The problem is now resolved according to http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/LiveUpdate-Symatec-Archive-... thanks to NightOwl's post  and the erik_carlstrom reply to that post.  Update to .793 build worked perfectly when I tried it about 11:02 ET on 2/10/10.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 11:25am

@
Tator

Quote:
The problem is now resolved

I can also confirm your posting!  I was able to connect to the Symantec-Archive Server, the update files were found and my installation was confirmed as being up-to-date!

Thanks to you and *Brian_K* for bumping the thread on the Symantec forum to keep it *front and center* of the Symantec folks so they could not *forget* or *ignore* the posting!

(I presume that *Brian_K* is our very own *Brian*!!!)

Tator--you might want to return to your posting on the Symantec forum and give *kudos* to Erik--and list your question as *Solved*--give Symantec public credit for their efforts!

But, you have to wonder why they keep messin' around with their Archive Server?!!!  This has happened before--Nigel Bree helped us solve it in the past....

Everybody out there that needs to update their Ghost installation should now be able to take care of it!

And, I recommend you do it sooner that later--never know when Symantec will again forget to keep those files available on their Archive Server!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print