Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is there a workaround for the lack of build .793? (Read 5211 times)
26kick
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Is there a workaround for the lack of build .793?
Feb 7th, 2010 at 2:48pm

This might be a simple question (I hope) but, is it ok to use a Ghost floppy created on my old (other) computer (with build .793) in my new computer which I am trying to back up?  I ask because of the difficulty we're all facing with getting the .793 update from Symantec.

What are the dangers, if any, of using a Ghost floppy between computers?

Also, this is a longshot but, is it possible to extract the .793 build from my old computer's Ghost install and POST IT HERE for everyone so they can update their licensed Ghost install and not have to deal with the Symantec Archive server.  One would think this is ok as we wouldn't be posting the program itself, correct?

Thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Is there a workaround for the lack of build .793?
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 4:17pm

@
26kick

Quote:

There is nothing to stop you from using (or abusing) your licensed copy of DOS Ghost 2003 on multiple systems--that's the ulcer and heart-burn Symantec has about that version of Ghost--it can be easily abused in an unlicensed fashion!

Quote:
Also, this is a longshot but, is it possible to extract the .793 build from my old computer's Ghost install and POST IT HERE for everyone so they can update their licensed Ghost install and not have to deal with the Symantec Archive server.  One would think this is ok as we wouldn't be posting the program itself, correct?

Yup--a very long shot  Wink .  The *ghost.exe* program, build .793, is the licensed software.  No--one would not have the whole Ghost 2003 Windows interface program installed from that *ghost.exe*program.  But, that is the basic *bread and butter* Ghost program that runs in DOS for Ghost 2003.   You have to have one license for each computer system to legally use that program on each system.

We would be guilty of distributing *pirated* software if we allowed it to be posted and/or linked-to on the forums here!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 9:17pm

@
26kick

Quote:
is it ok to use a Ghost floppy created on my old (other) computer (with build .793) in my new computer which I am trying to back up?

There is the possibility that Ghost 2003 will not be compatible with newer hardware.

And, if you are using Vista or Win7--you have to make adjustments as to how you do backups so that you can succeed doing restores--but, it can be done if you know what needs doing!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 10:19am

The simplest legal work around IMO is to stop using Ghost, and get the free download of Seagate DiscWizard or MaxBlast5 to use instead.  I've used Ghost and DiscWizard in the past with equally good results, and DiscWizard creates and restores images faster than Ghost.

FYI there's a DiscWizard work around to allow its use with non Seagate drives at the link in reply #9 at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1215133362, and DiscWizard includes a BartPE plugin to allow its use from a BartPE CD if desired.  Note the BartPE plugin isn't installed by default and must be selected during install of DiscWizard.

IP Logged

26kick
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 10:48am

Thanks Nightowl and Tator.

I have the license for my one computer, so I don't feel bad about using it on another of my computers.  That's my rational.

I rolled the dice and tried it on my new machine and it worked.  Smiley 

It was interesting that a smaller image (new install) on a newer, faster machine took longer to ("fast") compress and create the image than on my older machine.  ??? I don't mean to hijack, so I'll post that quetsion and see if I can find out why.

I'll keep Discwizard in mind.  Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 11:36am

@
26kick

Quote:
Is there a workaround for the lack of build .793?

See here:  Need to download .793 update ghost 2003

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print