Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GHOST 11 BOOTABLE DVD WORK BUT!!! (Read 21825 times)
CsK
N00b

I Love Radified!

GHOST 11 BOOTABLE DVD WORK BUT!!!
Jan 31st, 2010 at 9:38am

I made a bootable DVD with ghost 11 it is work. but I have a small problem. Total image is 7 gb. I splitted that. now I have xxxx.gho and some xxxx001.ghs xxxx002.ghs... I made a *.ima file for DVD. and add all *gho and *ghs files to DVD.

pc boot from dvd and start ghost11 exe and installing xxxx.gho file later when finished that process, ask me "where is the span volume 1". if I search manually from DVD it is installing. why ghost can t find *.ghs files automaticly? how can I do?

I tried -dlist switch. my DVD rom letter is "S". I used -dlist=S switch for search automaticly all spans. but anything been!!!

I tried -script switch. but I can t install automaticly again.

what can I do?

thanx...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: GHOST 11 BOOTABLE DVD WORK BUT!!!
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:03am

@
CsK

We recently discovered that the naming of the *spanned* files have to follow the *default* way that Ghost would name the files if Ghost was creating the files and naming them on its own:  Asking for next span file .

Quote:
If you use more than 5 characters in the initial file name, when Ghost creates the additional spanned files (.ghs), it will automatically reserve the last three characters of a 8 character name and over-write the name with *001* and leaving the initial 5 characters of the initial file name intact, and will increment that number by 1 for each additional spanned file that is created in this particular spanned file set.  If you have exactly 5 characters in the name, then all five characters will be retained in each of the additional spanned files--but still 8 characters in length.  And, if you have fewer than 5 characters in the initial file name, then Ghost will add additional zeros to the name so the final spanned file names are 8 characters in length.

So, the default behavior of Ghost is to create an 8 character name for all the spanned files in an image file set.  The initial *.gho* file can be any number of characters up to 8 and Ghost will not care about that.  I suspect that means that Ghost always looks for that same pattern in the image file set when it looks for the next spanned image file--i.e. an 8 character name--with the first 5 characters matching the initial *.gho* file name, and zeroes in any position if the file name is less than 5 characters.

So, each *.ghs* file needs to be 8 characters long, and as long as it is eight, I don't think any of the other characters have to be anything in particular as long as it matches the beginning *.gho* file.  So, you could probably use:

Quote:
abcdefgh.gho
abcdefg1.ghs
abcdefg2.ghs
abcdefg9.ghs

If you have more than 9 *.ghs* files, then probably the first one should be named:

Quote:
abcdef01.ghs
abcdef02.ghs
abcdef03.ghs

But, I'm not sure--maybe the file names need to have leading zeros in the last three characters before the span file number!  I have not done the needed testing to verify that.....

Let us know if this solves your problem....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

CsK
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:23am

thanx thanx thanx

I can t think that, because I splitted with GHOSTXP. it is symantec proramme too...

again so thanx...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 10:36am

@
CsK

Quote:
I can t think that, because I splitted with GHOSTXP. it is symantec proramme too...

So, you used Ghost Explorer to re-compile the image files into smaller unit sizes...and it created spanned *.ghs* file names with less than the eight characters (i.e. you did not do the naming of the spanned files)!  And, you are using the more recent Corp. Ghost 11.x!  Well, that's definitely a programing flaw for sure!!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

CsK
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 11:10am

I think you don t understand me Smiley
problem is solved with your suggestion Smiley

there for I write "thanx"

thank you again...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 11:55am

@
CsK

Quote:
problem is solved with your suggestion

Good to hear!

Quote:
I think you don t understand me

Always a possibility  Wink !

Quote:
because I splitted with GHOSTXP

Did you use Ghost Explorer to split the Ghost file into smaller segments?  If so, I was just wondering if you named the *.ghs* files--or did the Ghost Explorer name the files with the file names being less than 8 characters?

IP Logged

CsK
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 12:04pm

Quote:
because I splitted with GHOSTXP

Quote:
Did you use Ghost Explorer to split the Ghost file into smaller segments?  If so, I was just wondering if you named the *.ghs* files--or did the Ghost Explorer name the files with the file names being less than 8 characters?

I spanned again. before rename the *.gho file with five character  Wink
for example xxxxx.gho . after span file names been eight character automaticly with GHOSTXP  ( xxxxx001.ghs xxxxx002.ghs etc. )
finally problem is solved with eight character span file name Smiley

IP Logged

sswales
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2011 at 6:32am

Select the 'Compatible Filenames' option (-cns).  This will give you image span's like the following and allow 8 characters.  It will also always find the spans when restoring.  You can also just rename previous images to the following filenames.

EFOP1_01.GHO
EFOP1_01.001
EFOP1_01.002
EFOP1_01.003

This solves the problem of 5 characters!!!

IP Logged

U Look Like U Saw A Ghost
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ballymena, Northern Ireland

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2011 at 8:24am

Like many others, I too, was caught nut by incorrect image file names.

If your image destination is large enough, you can say no to spanning, which may also help in this regard.

IP Logged

U Look Like U Saw A Ghost
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ballymena, Northern Ireland

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2011 at 8:45am

Ok, on 2nd read, you are spanning to burn to DVD.

My mistake.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print