Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need Help w E-Sata and Ghost 2003 (Read 37553 times)
stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Need Help w E-Sata and Ghost 2003
Feb 23rd, 2010 at 2:29am

I found this forum trying to search up information about using E-sata with Norton Ghost 2003 and found a number of threads that ended up confusing me. 

I have an HP DV8125NR running WinXP. Nothing special is going on, except with the addition of a PPA E-Sata II express card.

http://www.ppa-usa.com/products/pcmcia/1165.htm

I have two drives in a simple case with E-sata cables between the card and the case (which has just a fan and power supply). So far everything has been fine.  I have copied gigabytes of files back and forth many times.

I've had a copy of Ghost 2003 probably since 2003. It served me well for years. However when trying to ghost or clone some drives my computer kept shutting down before completion. This I found to be nothing more than a dust problem, so I successfully cloned the OS drive to a larger capacity 2.5" laptop IDE drive.

My main purpose with this setup was to start ghosting the OS drive periodically after cloning it to the new drive. This where the problems really began.

In attempting to ghost the internal IDE drive to an external ESATA drive I had nothing but a string of failures with the same error code (40204) because of the inability of Ghost to see the Esata drive.

Because I'm using two external drives I tried again with both plugged in. No change. I finally went through all the twists and turns to live update twice to the most recent Ghost 2003 build. No change. I went to the Jmicron website and downloaded their latest drivers and installed them. No change once again. I did my research and tried some of the switches (niode, fni) and again the results were the same. I tried running Ghost mixing and matching settings, turning on and off disk indexing, switching between disk caching on and quick removal, etc., etc! No change!

I read through everything on this and other sites but it looks like I reached a dead end. If thats the case and Ghost 2003 will just not see the ESATA drive (at least on my system) then I ask you this:

1) What suggestions do you have that I haven't tried?

2) Will an ESATA drive in a USB 2.0 or Firewire case work instead of Esata direct through the Esata express card? I mean an enclosure with internal SATA and external USB or FW.

3) I've seen little USB 2.0 to Esata bridges for about $10. Would they appear to Ghost 2003 as simple USB drives or would it reject my Esata drive anyway? Below is a link to one of these things:

http://www.amazon.com/eSATA-SATA-Bridge-Adaptor-PG-102/dp/B002RSOSBA

Any help or suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!

St-vs-Sp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Need Help w E-Sata and Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:23am

@
stun vs spock

I'm not a Ghost 2003 user.

Just a comment on my Silicon Image Sil 3132 SATALink Controller (PCI). Ghost 2003 sees my external HD connected to this card.

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 7:00pm

Hi Brian

It may be a case of Esata not being recognized, or the chip set causing the problem.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried those little USB/Esata bridges or put a SATA drive in a USB/Firewire box.

St-vs-Sp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 7:13pm

@
stun vs spock

stun vs spock wrote on Feb 23rd, 2010 at 7:00pm:
or put a SATA drive in a USB/Firewire box

I've got a SATA HD in a USB box. Ghost 2003 sees the HD.

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:54pm

Quote:
I've got a SATA HD in a USB box. Ghost 2003 sees the HD.

Maybe thats the way to go, though I was hoping to avoid yet another box and transformer. I'll wait a week or two to see if anyone had any luck with these express card sata hookups first.

Thanks
St_vs_Sp

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

divide overflow
Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 1:09am

I put my backup drive in a Mac Ally  usb2/firewire/esata external box and connected to my laptop (described above) via firewire.

The ghost operation ran up to the dos screen and immediately gave the "divide overflow" error. I haven't tried any switches yet (NOIDE, FNI, etc) but from what I read in other forums there have been people with the same problem when using a 1TB or larger drive (mine is a Seagate 1.5TB).

I've searched in this forum but have yet to find any direct suggestions. I don't want to use any kind of boot CD. This thing should work as is or for me its time to move to another program.

st-vs-sp

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 6:10am

@
stun vs spock

Your external HD is a lot larger than mine.

Could you do me a favour and try Image for Linux? There is a one month trial. I've found it very good with external devices and restoring images over a network. A Win7 restore over my network yesterday took 3 minutes. HD failure so I was restoring to a new HD.

IFL works with Windows and Linux.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

IFL boots from a CD, a USB flash drive or a HD partition. I was using it on a USB flash drive containing several other ISOs, booted by grub4dos. It's very handy to have so many recovery apps on the one flash drive.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 9:14am

@
stun vs spock

Quote:
The ghost operation ran up to the dos screen and immediately gave the "divide overflow" error. I haven't tried any switches yet (NOIDE, FNI, etc) but from what I read in other forums there have been people with the same problem when using a 1TB or larger drive (mine is a Seagate 1.5TB).

Ghost 2003 Destination Drive Size Limits?--see Dan Goodell's Reply #3!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 10:08am

You could partition the 1.5TB drive into 1TB or smaller partitions which should allow Ghost 2003 to recognize those 1TB or smaller partitions.  Another option is to use the free download and install of Seagate DiscWizard instead of Ghost.  FYI there's a link to the work around to use DiscWizard with non Seagate drives in reply #9 at http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1215133362, and confirmation it works in reply #26 of same thread.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 10:19am

@
Tator

Quote:
You could partition the 1.5TB drive into 1TB or smaller partitions which should allow Ghost 2003 to recognize those 1TB or smaller partitions.

I've never had a drive size limitation on my system--(I have *small* drives  Wink !)  Have you had an opportunity to use this *workaround*?  Does it work?  So, it's not the *total* drive size, but the individual partition sizes that make Ghost 2003 choke?

@
stun vs spock

Could you try making multiple partitions on your drive that are less than 1 TB,  and let us know the results?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 11:14am

Yes, I used the work around to create image of a Dell laptop non Seagate drive to external USB drive and then restore that image to larger replacement laptop drive.   I don't know for sure partitioning to 1 TB or smaller partitions will work with Ghost 2003 but only suspect that it will.  Perhaps stun vs spock could let us know whether that works if he tries that.

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

late nights
Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 2:15am

Thank you all for the suggestions and links, some of which I'd already seen during my 4am nightly struggles with this.

A quick note: I used Gpart live CD to create a new partition (500GB) after resizing the main partition to 1TB. I tried to Ghost to the 500GB partition but it failed with none other than "divide overflow."

Would the partition type make any difference (logical, extended, primary)?

Maybe Ghost 2003 dislikes Seagate Barracuda drives....

st-vs-sp

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 11:02am

@
stun vs spock

Quote:
Maybe Ghost 2003 dislikes Seagate Barracuda drives....

My bet is Ghost 2003 can't deal with drives greater than approx. 1 TB total size!

IP Logged

stun vs spock
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 4:48pm

Quote:
My bet is Ghost 2003 can't deal with drives greater than approx. 1 TB total  size!

highly logical based on the available evidence.

though it is quite illogical to have any emotional attachment to a software program, i admit to such in the case of ghost 2003. interesting.

however i am now searching for alternatives and it appears that some of the open-source linux-based live CD tools are more than adequate in combination.

last night i tested gparted and ping, both of which worked exactly as described.

@ brian

i took a look at the linux-based program you mentioned and it may be worth a try. i'll post back here when i have the results.

compared to the $69 for ghost 15 and the potential for snags given its windows base, the $30 for a live CD linux-based alternative seems to be an excellent deal.

if anyone has any other linux-based alternatives to suggest, please do.

so far none of the programs i've tried have had any difficulty recognizing or working with any kind of drive (pata, sata, usb, firewire, esata).

st-vs-sp

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2010 at 10:54pm

@
stun vs spock

I'm going for the TeraByte's group of Image for Windows, DOS, and Linux when the time comes!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print