Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GSS 2.5 / Ghost 11.5 Boot CD/DVD issue (Read 5892 times)
James
N00b

I Love Radified!

GSS 2.5 / Ghost 11.5 Boot CD/DVD issue
Mar 3rd, 2010 at 9:20am

Hi,

I've been using Ghost for some time now, never had a problem with until now.

I'm a Tech and reloaded my friends PC from Scratch. Everything is working so far.

The PC is a Dell E521
1 - Sata HDD

1- Sata DVD-RW

I can boot from a USB stick just fine. Ghost does not have a problem reading the HDD or the DVD drive.

I can create bootable image disks but when I try to boot from the created image DVD, Ghost will not load any drivers for the Sata DVD drive. Therefore it starts to boot, scans for the CD drivers to load, then states something like it can not find ghost.exe

I have found and tried using that gcdrom? file added to it.

I tested the DVd's in my PC and the no problems with booting at all. But then again my PC does not use a Sata DVD/CD drive, it's PATA

Any idea's what's going wrong with this? Is there a fix? Why would Ghost not have a problem using the DVD-RW to burn to but won't load drivers when trying to boot from the Imaged DVD

Thanks for any help

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: GSS 2.5 / Ghost 11.5 Boot CD/DVD issue
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 10:56pm

@
James

Oooooooh.....an interesting one......

Lots of clues and puzzle pieces...let's see what we can get from all this.....

Quote:
I can boot from a USB stick just fine.

Okay, using the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid)--then just boot from the USB stick--what advantage is gained from booting from an optical disc?  (Just curious!!!)

And, more *just curious* questions--

--how big is the USB boot partition?

--what format  is on the USB stick--FAT, FAT32, ?????

--booting to DOS?

--*ghost.exe* is being used?  and is located in the boot partition along with the other boot files?

--the USB boot stick was created by *Ghost Boot Wizard*, or manually by your or someone else?

--probably should look at the boot files to see what exactly is being loaded during boot--*autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*.....that information becomes important later when analyzing what exactly is going on when *I can create bootable image disks*!

--how does the BIOS on the system report the USB stick--i.e. is it a removable disk and the boot files are assigned to drive letter A:\--a virtual floppy drive?....or, is the USB stick give drive letter C:\--i.e. a fixed or *basic* disk?

See all the information left out of a simple 9 word sentence!!!

Quote:
I can boot from a USB stick just fine. Ghost does not have a problem reading the HDD or the DVD drive.

Well, Ghost has been loaded--and Ghost has its own built-in optical drive drivers--so if Ghost can work with the given controller type (SATA in this case), and recognizes your optical drive as *compatible* with those Ghost optical drivers--then the optical drive should show up in the *Source* or *Destination* drop-down menus after the *@....* symbol and a description of the drive.  There should be *no* DOS drive letter assigned to the optical drive.  If Ghost's optical drive drivers work, then you don't need separate DOS optical drive drivers to be loaded.  Does this describe the facts accurately?

Quote:
I can create bootable image disks

Need to better understand this process for Ghost 11.5.  I've only used Ghost 2003, the consumer version of DOS Ghost--but, mostly, Ghost 2003 behaves very much in the same manner as the more recent Corporate Ghost versions.  So, having said that.....

Ghost 2003, once loaded...if you choose an optical drive as the destination for your Ghost image, Ghost will offer to make the optical drive bootable--you can choose *yes* or *no*--if you choose *Yes*, then Ghost 2003 asks if you have your boot files in the floppy drive A:\.  If you are booted to DOS with Ghost 2003, you either did that from a floppy disk (1.44 MB size)--or booted from an optical disc--a standard bootable optical disc will use a hidden 1.44 MB boot sector that gets loaded to a *virtual floppy drive* and be assigned a DOS drive letter of A:\.  So, at this point, Ghost 2003 does not care if the boot was from a floppy disk, or a bootable optical disc--both source files are located on the DOS A:\ drive--and Ghost 2003 will accept those boot files from either--the A:\ drive is the A:\ drive regardless.  Ghost 2003 is programed to create only a standard 1.44 MB hidden boot sector for an optical disc--if you used a non-standard boot disc with a 2.88 MB hidden boot sector and placed *ghost.exe* in that boot sector along with other boot files that go beyond the 1.44 MB size--then Ghost 2003 will read the first 1.44 MB on the A:\ drive--and truncate and fail to load any files beyond that 1.44 MB size--your new boot disc will not work--at least not properly!

So here's the questions:

Does Ghost 11.5 work the same--i.e. does it ask if the boot disk with boot files is in drive A:\?

*ghost.exe* for Ghost 11.5 is bigger than 1.44 MB--I think it may be around 2.00 MB +/-, plus if you add additional boot files and drivers--it goes well beyond 2.00 MB!  Now, Ghost 11.5 is newer and bigger--it will not surprise me if it has been updated to create a larger hidden boot sector for an optical disc--such as the 2.88 MB size.  You said you can successfully boot the bootable image disc on you PATA system--I assume that means you are able to successfully load Ghost.  So, quit Ghost and you should be at the A:\ prompt--type *dir* (DOS directory command) and see how big the A:\ drive is reported--should show amount used, free space, and total--what does it say?

Quote:
but when I try to boot from the created image DVD, Ghost will not load any drivers for the Sata DVD drive.

Just to be clear--it's not Ghost that loads drivers--it's the boot files loading drivers at this stage--once Ghost itself is loaded, then it can use its built-in drivers--but these are not loaded as a separate function--they're loaded because Ghost has loaded!

Quote:
Therefore it starts to boot, scans for the CD drivers to load

If you see a *scan* for optical drives, then some other DOS program is being loaded by the boot files!

Quote:
then states something like it can not find ghost.exe

Well, this is a separate command in the boot files to load *ghost.exe*--and for some reason, it's not being found!

To trouble shoot DOS boot and program load issues, you need to press F8 as soon as DOS begins to load after your system's initial POST--F8 should bring up the DOS option to load each command line one at time, i.e. *step-by-step* loading.  You can now see each command line and the load process stops after each line is carried out--you can see what program is doing which steps--such as scanning for optical drives, etc.

Try it!  What program is scanning for optical drives?  And, what is the command line saying to *load ghost.exe*--what location is it saying to look for to find and load Ghost?

Running out of room--have to continue in next post!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: GSS 2.5 / Ghost 11.5 Boot CD/DVD issue
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2010 at 11:22pm

@
James

So, continuing........

Quote:
I have found and tried using that gcdrom? file added to it.

Not a bad approach--may still be a workable solution--but we will need to look at the boot files to make sure you are loading all the necessary files with the correct command lines!

Quote:
I tested the DVd's in my PC and the no problems with booting at all. But then again my PC does not use a Sata DVD/CD drive, it's PATA

Well, it's *implied*--but not stated explicitly--you used the bootable image disc created from when you booted from the USB stick, loaded Ghost, and created the bootable disc.

You were able to load Ghost, and locate the image file on the optical disc--all correct?

Was your optical drive identified after the *@...* symbol with a description of your drive after it?

Was your optical drive also shown in the source drop-down menu box after a DOS drive letter as well?

So, this last piece of information seems to indicate that the *ghost.exe* is in the hidden boot sector of the bootable disc.  So that boot sector must be larger than the old standard size of 1.44 MB because of the size of *ghost.exe* for Ghost 11.5.

How old is your friends system?  Maybe his BIOS is programed to only accept a 1.44 MB boot sector if it is going to be mounted in a *virtual floppy drive*--so many, if not all the boot files prior to the command to load the *ghost.exe* will probably be loaded successfully (it all depends on the order the files were saved to the boot sector file)--but the *ghost.exe* file will most likely extend beyond the 1.44 MB size limit--and that would result in the failure to successfully load *ghost.exe*--it may have been completely left out when the boot files were loaded into the *virtual floppy* A:\ drive--you could test that, perhaps....again, on your friend's system--boot from the bootable optical disc.  After everything has loaded during boot and you get the *ghost.exe* load error, you should be at the A:\ prompt.  Type the *dir* DOS directory command--what size is reported for the A:\ drive--how many MB used, how many MB free, and total size?

Did any of this help--or just confuse things more?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print