HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disk Cloning (Read 2704 times)
JoeBlow
Ex Member

Disk Cloning
Mar 22nd, 2010 at 3:18pm

Not sure if this is old news. I have been using Ghost 2003 since, well, 2003 and Classic Ghost long before. I'm retired now but doing same old, same old at my church. The server runs W2K3 and the installer used one 36GB SCSI disk, obviously too  small with an 8GB C: partition , constantly so full nothing would update. E: was 24 GB. I got two 72 GB disks. I installed one 72GB and ran GHOST 2003 to clone disk to disk. Voila, replaced 36 with 72. C: partition is now 16GB and E: partition is now 54GB. All updates done. Next I did Ghost clone 72GB to 72 GB. I swapped in the clone and W2K3 could not tell the difference. I am now planning to stick in a RAID card to do a H/W raid 1 array. W2K3 S/W raid is NOT a good solution for System/Boot partitions. Meanwhile, I will attempt to do weekly middle of the night batch Ghost clones disk to disk for a disaster backup.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Disk Cloning
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:25pm

@
JoeBlow

Quote:
I will attempt to do weekly middle of the night batch Ghost clones disk to disk for a disaster backup.

Personally, I use backup *image* Ghost files instead of *disk to disk* cloning--saves space on backup HDD, and I can save multiple images going back several backup cycles--if older backed up files are needed.

If using RAID 1 (mirroring), and you do *disk to disk* backup to another HDD, you most likely will still have to *rebuild* the RAID 1 mirror array after replacing a dead mirrored HDD from the array--even if it's the *cloned* HDD--even though the cloned HDD will have *identical* data--the RAID controller will know it's not part of the original RAID array!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print