Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Ghosting Triple Win Boot Configurations (Read 120067 times)
bill
Radmeister

In retrospect, I should've
thought that through

Burbank, CA

Re: Ghosting Triple Win Boot Configurations
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:07pm

Hi Dan -

Again, thank you so much to you and Brian - you have been absolutely wonderful with your insight and advice.  As I observed earlier, my only regret is that I didn't do this *before* I started imaging. 

Dan Goodell wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:31am:
You mean an image of the XP partition created prior to installing Vista and/or Win7?If you restore that, it will break your ability to boot the later OS's.When you installed Vista and then Win7, they made changes to the XP partition so they could piggy-back on that partition.If you restore XP to a state prior to those changes, they can't boot through it anymore.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem I got myself in.  So I am going to work on that today - restore that 1 original XP image and then fix Win Vista and Win7 so they'll boot.

I'm thinking it will go like this?
  - Restore the Original XP image I have
  - Repair Win Vista boot installation with the OEM DVD
  - Repair Win7 boot Installation with the OEM DVD
  - Then re-fix the boot.ini and ntldr (as I had to earlier)

That will at least get me the options of running all of my OS configurations today, albeit a less-than-ideal approach (I have to do this, because I have a new project kicking in tomorrow morning, and I need these images for it).

Unfortunately, I do need access and use of both those XP images because of their unique configurations I built (the original w/out .net and the one upgraded to SP3 with .net 3.5/SP1). 

All my images are essentially "out of box," with the exception of the XP I have now, where I have the majority of my testing tools (Eclipse, JDK, SOAPui, and some miscellaneous scripts).  Vista and Win7 just have the bare absolute minimum I need to connect to our VPN and back-end clusters, with some essential tools.  I've always been one to shy away from 3rd party boot managers, but I see now the pitfalls in such an attitude.  Again, thank you for that.

Then, when I have a weekend with not much going on, I can redo again from scratch and follow y'all's guidance (and I'll try it with that BING program Brian mentioned earlier).

Phenomenal work y'all are doing here.  I stand pretty humbled by your wealth of knowledge.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:34pm

Bill, here are a few questions I forgot to ask.

When you are in Vista, what is the drive letter of the Vista partition?

When you are in Win7, what is the drive letter of the Win7 partition?

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:48pm

Hey Brian! Top o' the morning!

I checked and here's what I got:

Brian wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:34pm:
When you are in Vista, what is the drive letter of the Vista partition?

Vista see itself as "C:\"
Win7 is seen as "D:\"
XP is not seen at all
and my back/storage drive (logical partition) is seen as E:\

Brian wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:34pm:
When you are in Win7, what is the drive letter of the Win7 partition? 

Win7 is seen as "C:\"
XP is seen as "D:\"
Backup/Storage drive is seen as "E:\"
Vista is seen as "F:\"

Finally, when I'm in my XP image:
Win7 is seen as "C:\"
Backup/Storage is seen as "D:\"
XP is seen as "E:\"
Vista is seen as "G:\"

And of course, between the articles you sent me, and your and Dan's post, I understand perfectly why the different drive configurations - again a consequence of letting Windows handle my disk management when installing.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 1:19pm

Bill,

That started off sounding good. Vista and Win7 both being C: drive. But I expected WinXP to definitely be C: drive as it was the first OS installed. I don't understand that at all unless this WinXP was installed after Win7.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 1:38pm

Hi Brian -

Actually, it was originally installed on Drive E: when I had multi-boot XP's. 

And I used it to work off of, when installed the other two OS's.  So, that was the 2nd mistake I made :)

And, come to think of it, now I wonder if why my Vista image doesn't see an XP image - is because Vista got installed on the active primary partition, and my test suite XP was on just a primary partition, not set to active.

I guess I couldn't have complicated my situation any better if I had purposely set out to do so :)

And I guess compounding the fact even more - is the fact that my boot files are all on the XP image (as you asked me to confirm for your earlier).

It's starting to look more and more like I should cancel any plans I had for next weekend, and gather all my media for a re-build.  :)

By the way, I checked out Bing, but I have access to Boot Manager 8.0 (I just never used it), I'm wondering if that will do me as good?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 3:58pm

Like Brian, I was expecting a more conventional Microsoft-style multiboot, in which XP would have been C:, and Vista and Win7 would have been drive letters other than C:.

Following on Brian's inquiry, I'd like to confirm where your active partition is.  Boot into each OS and open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).  You should be able to identify your three OS partitions in the schematic map.  Which partition is shown as the "System" partition, and which (if any) is shown as "Boot"?  Repeat for all three OS's.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 3:58pm:
Boot into each OS and open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).You should be able to identify your three OS partitions in the schematic map.Which partition is shown as the "System" partition, and which (if any) is shown as "Boot"?Repeat for all three OS's.

Okie doke! Here we go:
XP & Vista:

XP.jpg (64 KB | 396 )
XP.jpg
Vista.jpg (72 KB | 381 )
Vista.jpg

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 4:42pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 3:58pm:
Boot into each OS and open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).You should be able to identify your three OS partitions in the schematic map.Which partition is shown as the "System" partition, and which (if any) is shown as "Boot"?Repeat for all three OS's.

Win7:

Win7.jpg (77 KB | 403 )
Win7.jpg

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:26pm

Okay, so it confirms you've got a Microsoft-style multiboot setup, and the XP partition is the 'system' partition for all three boot options.

Vista and Win7 can exist without each other because neither is the 'system' or 'boot' partition for the other.  But neither can presently boot without XP because XP is the 'system' partition for each of them.

Since Vista and Win7 actually do see themselves as C: then each, in turn, can be converted to standalone by making its partition active and "repairing" it to replace the files (currently on the XP partition) it needs for booting.  That will eliminate their dependence on the XP partition.

However, those are the partitions that are at this point easiest to reinstall (because they're new).  It's partitions that don't see themselves as C: that create the most difficulty.  Unfortunately, it's XP--the one you've got the most invested in--that's not C:.

Getting XP to stand alone is not the real issue--it's already booting by itself, and it will continue to do so whether the other partitions are there or not.  (Neither Vista nor Win7 is a 'system' or 'boot' partition for XP, so it won't affect XP if they're there or not.)

But the non-C: drive letter is a ticking time bomb.  Your XP needs to continue to see itself as E: or it will fail to properly boot.  You'll be in trouble if anything upsets that.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of potential causes for upset.  You're okay as long as you're restoring back to the same hard disk and the partitioning hasn't changed and the DiskID remains intact.  But if the disk ever loses its DiskID (not hard to do) or if you repartition or if you try to move to a bigger hard disk, then XP could lose the E: letter and then you're in trouble.  There are workarounds when that happens, so it's not necessarily fatal but it's a nuisance and requires some real tech savvy.

Yes, you did make things more difficult for yourself, but it all began when you decided the "E:" copy of your previously multibooted XPs would be your "keeper" version.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:01pm

bill wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 1:38pm:
but I have access to Boot Manager 8.0 (I just never used it), I'm wondering if that will do me as good?

Bill, I've never tried it.

Dan has given you some very logical choices. Keep the ideas coming.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 11:31pm

Well, I guess at this point, I'm wondering if I repair Vista and 7 into independent partitions, and I had a boot manager that could "hide" them from XP's installers, could I re-install XP with said boot manager in a manner that it would think it is installed on C:\ ?

Wouldn't that (3rd party boot manager) also prevent the risk of over-writing MBR with an XP format, and additional repair steps again?  Or is that pretty much a given since I'll be installing an older version on top of newer?

Dan Goodell wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 8:26pm:
Since Vista and Win7 actually do see themselves as C: then each, in turn, can be converted to standalone by making its partition active and "repairing" it to replace the files (currently on the XP partition) it needs for booting.

I'd rather not burn and lose 2 licenses if I can avoid it (don't know about y'all, but I hate that condescending snort that goes with "you again?" from our IT folks), but - if a repair isn't feasible at this point, I could do a full rebuild, but I'd love to keep that as a last resort option for as long as I can.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:02am

Bill,

What do you think of this? An overview without details.

Install BING to the HD. You will have to unlimit primaries. More on that later.

Create a Boot Item for each OS.

Try to boot Vista from the BING Boot Menu. This makes the partition Active. It will fail to boot so do two repairs from the Vista DVD and it should boot.

Try to boot Win7 from the BING Boot Menu. This makes the partition Active. It will fail to boot so do two repairs from the Win7 DVD and it should boot.

Boot WinXP from the BING Boot Menu. As Dan has pointed out, it will boot.

Now all 3 OS are independent but WinXP will still be E: drive. You can install a fresh WinXP at your leisure. It will be C: drive.

The MBR is not an issue because you will have a TeraByte MBR. It covers all OS including Linux.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #27 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:33am

Man you guys have been terrific. 

I have to first look into bootmagic (since we have that licensed) until I can rule out it's compatibility.  Soon as I solve which boot manager I'll be using, I will ping you back Brian.

From your posts and Dan's feedback,  looks like we have a real viable course of action I'm comfortable and eager to get moving with it.

Thank you again.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #28 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 3:31am

bill wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:12am:
When I created my disk and partions (using Partion Magic 8) I had XP.

bill wrote on Mar 28th, 2010 at 1:38pm:
I have access to Boot Manager 8.0 (I just never used it), I'm wondering if that will do me as good?

bill wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:33am:
I have to first look into bootmagic (since we have that licensed) until I can rule out it's compatibility.

Did you mean Boot Manager, or Boot Magic?  I'm not familiar with a utility named Boot Manager, but you mentioned Partition Magic, and part of the PM bundle was a utility called Boot Magic.

If you're referring to Boot Magic, that's not a utility I can recommend.  It's old, it's meant to install inside one of your Windows partitions (never a good idea), and IIRC it requires FAT/FAT32 anyway--which you have none of, being all NTFS.

BING is a much more practical (and reliable) solution, and Brian's action plan looks good.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #29 - Mar 29th, 2010 at 1:47pm

bill wrote on Mar 29th, 2010 at 12:33am:
Man you guys have been terrific. 

You have Brian & Dan helping. Lucky you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Send Topic Print