Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Ghosting Triple Win Boot Configurations (Read 120426 times)
bill
Radmeister

In retrospect, I should've
thought that through

Burbank, CA

Re: Ghosting Triple Win Boot Configurations
Reply #75 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 4:55pm

Perfect.  I had an explorer window open.  That was why it wouldn't remove.

It's gone now.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #76 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:03pm

bill wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 2:09pm:
I just want to be sure I'm entering this correctly (since I have XP thinking it's Drive E:\)
    I followed the booting sequence to get to Recovery Console.

Following step 8, I selected 1:C:\WINDOWS
    Entered my Adminstrator Password
    entered fixboot at the DOS Prompt
    "Are you sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition c: "

Just to explain what's going on there:

Drive letters are always assigned by the OS that is booting, so the letter designations may change depending on which partition or OS you are booting from.  (You're already aware of that from your previous experience of the MS-style multiboot, wherein the letters of the same partitions changed depending on whether you booted into XP, Vista, or Win7.)

It's the same principle here.  When you boot XP, it assigns E: to its own partition.  When you boot from the CD into the recovery console, you are not booting into the XP installation, so it can assign letters any way it sees fit.  And the default way is to assign C: to active primary on the first HDD.

Thus what the installed XP sees as E:\windows and the RC sees as C:\windows are one and the same.

(I see Brian is walking you through how to get the OS's to be seen from each other when you want them to.  So I'll have more to comment on this "E:" business when I get another break later on . . . but gotta run now.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #77 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:27pm

Now to install the new WinXP.

In BING, Partition Work, select the WinXP partition, click resize, OK, type in 16000, OK, Continue.
Select the Free Space, click Create, name it WinXP2 or your preference, File System NTFS, OK. Close out of Partition Work. Actually this is covered in the video, "Installing WinXP Pro to its Own Primary Partition". So follow the video. You won't see the hal.dll error or the re-activate BING step because your WinXP is first in the partition table. But you will have to re-activate BING from the BING CD when WinXP has completed the install.

I omitted to mention, when you setup the WinXP2 Boot Edit prior to installing the OS, only have WinXP2 and Extended in the MBR Details.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #78 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:40pm

When you use unlimited primaries in BING, the primaries that aren't in the MBR show as unallocated space in Disk Management. So don't use Disk Management or any partitioning app apart from BING to manage your partitions.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #79 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:47pm

After XP2 is booting from the BING Boot Menu, go into Boot Edit for Vista and select your old WinXP in MBR Details. Click Fill and choose XP2. Old XP won't be in the Vista MBR anymore and won't be seen by Ghost. Boot into Vista and remove the drive letter of XP2. XP2 will be seen by Ghost and you can create images of XP2 as you add software.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #80 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:53pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 5:03pm:
Thus what the installed XP sees as E:\windows and the RC sees as C:\windows are one and the same.

Thanks Dan. I suspected that was the case but I wasn't certain.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #81 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 6:17pm

Bill, if you add a second internal HD to your computer you will have to use "Fill" in Boot Edit to make the partition(s) visible.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #82 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 6:29pm

Bill, just for your information but you can also create and restore partition images from BING. Very easily too. You indicated you like redundancy.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #83 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:53am

Okay, I promised to get back to the matter of XP relying on E: as a drive letter.  Earlier in this thread I mentioned that this is not a desirable condition, so let me back up a bit and explain why.

There is nothing wrong with that as long as XP continues to see its own partition as E:.  However, a problem arises when Windows, for one reason or another, loses track of which drive letter goes with which partition.  Without going into details of why that happens (but understand the risk is higher when cloning/imaging partitions), the point is that when it does happen Windows has to "rediscover" partitions and start assigning drive letters again.  Anything Windows hasn't lost track of will keep the same drive letter, but Windows follows a specific sequence when assigning drive letters to newly discovered partitions.  If C: hasn't already been assigned to another partition, the first newly discovered partition will be assigned as C:.

When you restore from your XP image, the first time the restored partition starts to boot up it looks for new partitions (those it hadn't already recorded in its registry).  If its own partition isn't exactly where it had been previously (per the registry), it looks to XP like a new partition ... and gets assigned as C:.  Similarly, it doesn't see a partition where it expected E: to be ... so that letter is put back in the pool and becomes available for re-use for something else--perhaps a data partition or a DVD drive, for example.  And that's when booting fails--XP is booting from C:, looking for E:, and not realizing they are one and the same.

This is not an issue if the OS expects itself to be on C:.  Even if it lost track of its own partition, when it rediscovers new partitions its own partition is the first one it finds, so gets reassigned C: anyway.  Vista and Win7 behave the same way, but since your Vista and Win7 both installed themselves as C: in the first place, they don't have the same vulnerability as your XP installation.

When this problem arises, you need to correct the drive letter assignment in the registry.  For the average user, this is a problem ... how do you edit the registry if you can't boot?

In your case, you're multibooting, and that gives you the opportunity of using one of the other installations to remotely edit the XP registry.  If XP ever runs into this drive letter issue at some point, you could boot into Vista or Win7, fix the XP registry, and then XP should be able to boot.

Thus, the fact that your XP is not on C: is less crucial than it is for most people.  Obviously, it's not as tidy as if XP were on C:, but at least it's not the show-stopper it would be for many others.  (Read between the lines: reinstalling XP to get it on C: is not urgently necessary in your case.)  Note this is because you're multibooting.  If you reverted to single-booting XP only, then you wouldn't have this easy way of fixing XP when it breaks.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #84 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 3:54am

Here is an example of how to remotely edit the XP registry from Win7.

First, you need to make XP visible from Win7.  Brian has already covered how to use BING to do that.  Make sure XP has a drive letter when seen in Win7.  (It happens to be E: in the illustrations here.)

Next, launch regedit in Win7.  In regedit, click once on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to select it, then click 'File', 'Load Hive'.  (Note: 'Load Hive' will be grayed out unless you are on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".)

Navigate to the "windows\system32\config" folder on the XP partition, and select the "system" hive.  Click 'Open', and you will be asked to give an alias to the hive.  In this example, I called it "XP-System".

Now you'll have the XP registry's system hive open as a branch called "XP-System" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

Select the "MountedDevices" key in regedit's left pane, and you'll find the drive letters XP has "remembered" in the right pane.  If XP lost track of E: and failed to finish booting, you'll probably find that it reassigned its own partition as C:.  Right-click "\DosDevices\C:" and rename it to "\DosDevices\E:".

Finally, select "XP-System" In the left pane, then 'File', 'Unload Hive', to disconnect the XP hive.

Now the "new" partition XP had rediscovered as C: will be E: instead when XP boots.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #85 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 12:00pm

@
bill,
@
Brian, and
@
Dan Goodell

Very interesting---lots of *good stuff* in all this!

Hmmm...all those references to setting up BING--hard to appreciate when I don't use that software--but I better remember this thread for future reference--I suspect I will sometime in the future!

Luckily, I dodged the *Microsoft Way* of multi-booting a long time ago--I have always used separate active primary partitions so the OS is always assigned C:\--that was how the original PartitionMagic v3.xx talked about doing it back some 12-15 years ago in their User Guide--they were discussing how to avoid drive letter changes when booting different OSs!  I think their *BootMagic* boot loader simply *automated* the process of switching primary partitions--but don't know for sure--never actually use it--just the *pqboot* program (DOS based) that changed the active and hidden primary partitions when booted from a floppy disk or bootable optical disc (using DOS)--or using *pqboot32* form within a Windows OS--which switched the active primary when you closed out the current Windows--then upon reboot, the other primary was active for booting.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #86 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 9:11pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2010 at 12:00pm:
I think their *BootMagic* boot loader simply *automated* the process of switching primary partitions--but don't know for sure [...]

Yes, that's what it did.  While pqboot/pqboot32 were command-line utilities that merely unhid/activated the desired primary partition and hid all the rest, BootMagic had a few more bells and whistles.  It operated from the MBR (ie, pre-boot rather than post-boot), it had a graphical menu for the boot choices, and it could be configured to selectively hide/unhide each non-active primary.

Though it continued to be bundled with PartitionMagic through version 8, BootMagic essentially ceased development after PartitionMagic 5, so obsoleted itself with several limitations that made it unsuitable for continued use.

Unlike most respectable boot managers, it had to be installed inside a Windows installation--which meant Windows was no longer a true standalone partition.  While PM7 gained NTFS compatibility, BM did not and was restricted to FAT16/32.  (How many people nowadays still have a FAT16/32 Windows installation on their system?)

Cloning BM/Windows from one partition to another meant you ended up with two BM installations and conflicts.  Because of that, I switched to System Commander in the late-90's.  But System Commander also had its own limitations, it was expensive, and you had to keep buying a new version every time a new version of Windows came out.  So about 2002 I switched to BING, and have never looked back.  I haven't seen anything as powerful, yet lightweight as BING.

I'm always on the lookout for new alternatives, but if it costs money it can't compete with BING.  If it's free, then it has to compete with XOSL, which is hard to beat (though not as powerful as BING).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #87 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 2:02am

In some ways changing the drive letter of a non booting (due to a drive letter issues) solitary Win7 is easier than a WinXP OS as you can access the registry of the non booting Win7.

Choose Safe Mode from the F8 menu. Login and when you see "Preparing your Desktop" (the kiss of death message) press Ctrl Alt Del. From the menu choose Task Manager. In New Task type regedit and put a tick in administrator privileges. This is the Win7 registry so you don't have to load a hive.

You can do something similar from the Win7 boot DVD but you have to load a hive to get the Win7 registry.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #88 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 11:53am

@
Dan Goodell

I'm going to play *devil's advocate*--asking some questions that may impact the information you outlined in your reply #84 above:

Quote:
Here is an example of how to remotely edit the XP registry from Win7.

First, you need to make XP visible from Win7.  Brian has already covered how to use BING to do that.  Make sure XP has a drive letter when seen in Win7.

Can this be done from a booted Bart PE disc?  (In case you do not have a multi-boot setup and can use the *regedit* program on another booted OS of the multi-boot!)

In other words (I guess), are there other tools to *remotely edit the XP registry*?

(Aside note: 

Quote:
In your case, you're multibooting, and that gives you the opportunity of using one of the other installations to remotely edit the XP registry.

if it were the Win7 that was the non-booting OS with an incorrect drive letter assignment as the cause--can you be booted to your WinXP and use the WinXP *regedit* program to edit the Win7 registry in a similar fashion--i.e. is WinXP's *regedit* forward compatible with Win7's registry?)

Quote:
(Note: 'Load Hive' will be grayed out unless you are on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".)

Just a note of caution--I played around with my *regedit* just to see how the steps show up--and I found that the *Load Hive* will also be available if you have selected *HKEY_USERS*--so if that's critical--then need to be sure you have selected *HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE*.

Quote:
Select the "MountedDevices" key in regedit's left pane, and you'll find the drive letters XP has "remembered" in the right pane.  If XP lost track of E: and failed to finish booting, you'll probably find that it reassigned its own partition as C:.  Right-click "\DosDevices\C:" and rename it to "\DosDevices\E:".

How do you know you are selecting the correct drive to change?  If you have used the system for awhile, isn't it likely that C:\ will have been re-assigned to some other device as the first available drive letter?

But, I guess the example is assuming that *all* HDD devices have lost their assigned drive letters and are being *re-assigned* drive letters and because of the sequence drive letters are assigned, it will *always* be C:\--but, what if the system had assigned an optical drive the letter C:\--would that still be remembered as C:\--because its device ID will not have changed (hard wired?)?

Well, I guess one would know that they had been using C:\ for an optical drive letter!  If it's still remembered--at least in the above example the next available drive letter would D:\--unless that was an assigned device that does not get a re-assigned drive letter too!

See my dilemma--if the *simple* set up does not exist--what are the other possibilities--and how do you know which *DosDevices* in the registry is the OS partition for your XP that you want to edit?

Actually, in a more complex setup, another partition may already be *DosDevices\E:*--so, I presume you would have to change that as well--so it does not conflict with your editing of the incorrect OS *DosDevices* back to E:\!

Seems simple as an example--but, may be really complicated if your setup is *complex*--sure seems a better choice to avoid the Microsoft method of multi-booting--and doing multiple previous installs that ended up making one of your retained OSs having a drive letter assignment other than C:\!!!

I don't know if any of my ranting above makes any sense--being as I'm just trying to imagine what's going on and what one might find in a more complex setup!  The above registry *DosDevices* are so cryptic--don't know how one can be comfortable in selecting the correct one to edit!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #89 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 12:00pm

@
Brian

Quote:
In some ways changing the drive letter of a non booting (due to a drive letter issues) solitary Win7 is easier than a WinXP OS as you can access the registry of the non booting Win7.

Choose Safe Mode from the F8 menu. Login and when you see "Preparing your Desktop" (the kiss of death message) press Ctrl Alt Del. From the menu choose Task Manager.

Missing something here--you said the Win7 Os is *non-booting*--but, sure looks like you have just booted to that Win7 OS if you can get passed the *Login* and bring up *Task Manager*!

Quote:
Choose Safe Mode from the F8 menu

In Win7--if it's non-booting, does that allow you to boot anyway--seems like having the wrong drive letter in the registry would still cause non-booting--even in Safe Mode?!

Win7 has *new* capabilities?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print