Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FreeDOS Ghost restore---Another Recovery technique (Read 3276 times)
esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

FreeDOS Ghost restore---Another Recovery technique
Mar 29th, 2010 at 8:13am

Configure partitions as you may see fit. For example I wud create 3 partitions. 1 for WinXP, 2 for the Image file, 3 for FreeDos. Install the Operating Systems----WinXP and FreeDOS. Boot into your WinXP, place a DOS version of Symantec Ghost right at the root the drive where you installed FreeDOS, so that you can call it from the command prompt under FreeDOS. Create a batch file and you can call it RESTORE.BAT and also place it at the root of FreeDOS drive.

mine looks like this:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO.
GHOST.EXE -CLONE,MODE=PRESTORE,SRC=1:2\E264.GHO:1,DST=1:1 -SURE -FX
EXIT

may be you could use EOF instead of EXIT. Place the Image on the 2nd partion. Make sure your batch file points to the right locations; both for the source and destination. And use the correct Ghost switches.

Use a boot manager to select the OS to boot, otherwise let XP do its thing with NT loader. Boot into FreeDOS, at the command prompt type RESTORE. walaah..!!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: FreeDOS Ghost restore---Another Recovery technique
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2010 at 11:30am

@
esco

Quote:
Configure partitions as you may see fit. For example I wud create 3 partitions. 1 for WinXP, 2 for the Image file, 3 for FreeDos.

This method is a good alternative for laptops without a second HDD to store your image files to--but, be aware that as an emergency backup, it will not protect you if the HDD dies!!!!  Your backup image goes too!

You have to have a backup image on a second HDD or other media if you want to be protected from HDD failure--as opposed to just OS software corruption--which restoring a clean image back to the OS partition solves!

Just an added thought to keep in mind!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print