Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 is great, any way to get usb 2 support? (Read 7678 times)
earl
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2003 is great, any way to get usb 2 support?
Apr 12th, 2010 at 7:08pm

I really like ghost 2003 it works great, I have problems with true image and cloneing. I have a bunch of p4 2.6ghz 512 mb of ram newest ghost needs at least 1gb. Anyone have any recommands on ways around this or version of ghost to use. I'm looking for pure realiblity. True image is a nightmare.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 is great, any way to get usb 2 support?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:04am

@
earl

Quote:
I have a bunch of p4 2.6ghz 512 mb of ram newest ghost needs at least 1gb.

Really!  Wow--I have not used any of the more recent Ghost releases beyond Ghost 10, but that version, I think (I haven't played with it recently), required a min. of 256 MB of RAM in order to boot to the Recovery Environment off the installation CD.  1 GB--that's a lot!

Quote:
Ghost 2003 is great, any way to get usb 2 support?

Well, if you have the full version of Ghost 2003 on an installation CD, then when you install the Windows Ghost interface, you get a Ghost Boot Wizard that gives you several options for boot floppy disks--one of which is a DOS USB external HDD driver.  It was included with Ghost 2003--licensed by Symantec--created by Iomega.  It worked fine--if your system's USB controller and your external USB HDD's controller were compatible--but, there where many that were not--and are not currently!

Quite some time ago, I discovered this DOS USB HDD driver:  A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!.  As far as I know, it has been the most widely compatible DOS USB mass storage driver.  There are not a lot of them to choose from--DOS is not the dominant way the general public uses for computing any longer--so there's not a lot of motivation for companies to develop this type of driver!

Quote:
Anyone have any recommands on ways around this or version of ghost to use.

The only DOS based Ghost version available currently is the Corporate version--currently Ghost Solution Suite 2.5--you get the DOS Ghost program that is v11.5 in that product.  USB support has been built into the DOS executable *ghost.exe* since Corp. Ghost 8.x--I'm not sure if it was there from the very first in v8.0--or later in v8.1, v8.2, or v8.3.  Prior to that, Corp. Ghost v7.5 was the version that most resembled the retail Ghost 2003--and v7.5 required a separate DOS driver the same as Ghost 2003 to access external USB drives.

(Note--there were no Corp. Ghost v9x, or v10.x--those numbers were used by the retail versions of Ghost--that occurred when Symantec was seriously considering dropping DOS Ghost all together--both retail and Corp. versions--but they later changed their minds--but, they wanted to keep the Ghost name for the retail market--so they started using the *Ghost Solution Suite* (GSS) versions numbers instead--v1.x, and now 2.x--but the included DOS *ghost.exe* has the v11.x (or older versions were v8.2, and v8.3) that came with the various GSS versions.)

You might be better served with the offerings from TeraByte's group of Image for Windows, DOS, and Linux, which are still being actively developed!  I've not used their products yet--Ghost 2003 still works fine on my older system--so I don't know for sure what the DOS compatibility is with their Image for DOS based program and USB external HDDs.  I don't recall seeing any threads here in the forum on that specific issue--but, I may have missed it!

Hope this helps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:14am

Quote:
I have a bunch of p4 2.6ghz 512 mb of ram

I can't get what you trying to say here ? Are you saying you only have 512MB RAM? If so, do not use the word 'bunch'

Quote:
Anyone have any recommands on ways around this or version of ghost to use.

You can't have work arounds for hardware requirements, especially Minimum Hardware Requirements.

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:21am

Get the dos usb driver from panasonic:
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/cdrrw/kxlrw40an/download.html
Its named
KXL-RW40AN.EXE
Extract it and navigate to
F2H
folder under the directory where you extracted the file. You will find
USBASPI.SYS
use CONFIG.SYS to load this driver for your USB devices

I think its the same one NightOwl is referring you to

IP Logged

earl
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:22am

ya I only have 512 mb of ram in the machince. So the newest ghost would not work. The  DOS USB HDD driver is over my head unless someone has a iso already really to be burned. Just looking for something simple that works. Ghost 2003 does that but I have to boot it of a floppy and hook the harddrive up through wheret he dvdrom goes.

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:36am

earl wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:22am:
ya I only have 512 mb of ram in the machince. So the newest ghost would not work. The  DOS USB HDD driver is over my head unless someone has a iso already really to be burned. Just looking for something simple that works. Ghost 2003 does that but I have to boot it of a floppy and hook the harddrive up through wheret he dvdrom goes. 

What is it that you really wanna do? What do you want to use the DOS HDD driver for? Because you are saying you can boot with a floppy and access Ghost 2003---Then you do not need a driver for the HDD if you want to restore it ! Or you want to utilize an external USB HDD? Then use that panasonic driver from config.sys

IP Logged

esco
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Botswana

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 11:30am

Quote:
Ghost 2003 does that but I have to boot it of a floppy and hook the harddrive up through wheret he dvdrom goes. 

If you do not want to use a floppy, follow this thread:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1271080409
That is if your system supports booting from a flash disk drive. It looks like it does since its a P4. The bios should not be that old !?

Quote:
...unless someone has a iso already really to be burned....

Looks like you have an IDE DVD drive. refer to this thread to get your ISO on DVD:
NightOwl's Guide to Creating Bootable CD/DVDs
http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

also check out Symantec's site for command-line switches. Its better to download the ghost-ref-guides:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/1998082612540625

To get a briefing and get that DOS driver USBASPI.SYS working refer:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1046069/yes-usb-drivers-dos

IP Logged

earl
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2010 at 1:10pm

I have a nexstar dx true image 2010 works but not ghost grrr.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2010 at 1:26pm

@
earl

earl wrote on Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:22am:
I only have 512 mb of ram in the machince. So the newest ghost would not work.

Ghost 15 works in my test computer with 384 MB RAM. In the recovery environment I see warnings about needing more RAM, but Ghost works anyway.

Windows 7 works in that computer too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print