Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Basic questions i know!! (Read 4365 times)
biillybibjoe99
N00b

I Love Radified!

Basic questions i know!!
May 30th, 2010 at 3:21am

Hi Everyone

I'm new to ghost and was looking for some basic tips on a few areas. Sorry if the answers are somewhere here already but i couldn;t see them. If they are maybe someone can point the link out to me..

I would like to know what the difference between using disk to disk or disk to image option within ghost is.

I know this may be a simple question but i'd appreciate some help

Thanks

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Re: Basic questions i know!!
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:32pm

I recommend making a basic ghost 2003 boot floppy.

Make a disk to disk copy.

Continue.

exit

shut down

remove origional hard drive.

boot.

see if it worked.

report back.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 2:42am

Quote:
I would like to know what the difference between using disk to disk or disk to image option within ghost is.

Disk-to-Disk copies the old one to the new one. As wp points out, you have to remove the old one and connect the new one to that connector prior to restarting the computer. The reason is that the two disks get the same disk signature and Windows can't have that. If you restart with both disks connected, Windows rewrites the disk signature on the disk that isn't the boot disk, rendering the new disk not bootable.

Disk-to-Image copies the "contents" of the old disk to a file or set of files on a different disk. The Image has to be restored to a new disk or to the old one in case of "shit hitting the fan" and you wish to restore it.

In my view, Disk-to-Image is backing up the disk. You don't need a dedicated disk to store the image and the image isn't larger than the used space. If you use compression, it is smaller.

Disk-to-Disk is used when you want to transfer your system to a new disk ... Cool ... bigger, faster or more beautiful.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

GhostIt
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 4:32am

I only use disk-to-disk imaging when I want to upgrade my hard drive to a bigger one.  For this option, you can use the new drive immediately.

I regularly use disk-to-image or partition-to-image option to back up my system or my data.  For this option you have to use Ghost to restore the image to a hard drive before you can run the system.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print