Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Hard Disk Problem with Norton Ghost (Read 18047 times)
jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

New Hard Disk Problem with Norton Ghost
Jun 16th, 2010 at 6:55pm

Mac Pro 10.6.3
Boot Camp
Norton Ghost 15.0
Windows 7
Hard disk: Seagate Sata 2

I've just installed a new hard disk that is intended as a backup disk for Windows 7, installed through Boot Camp on the Mac Pro tower. I've chosen Norton Ghost as the backup software, and when I try to select the installed drive as the backup disk via Windows 7, I receive the following error messages: "H is a read only location and not a valid destination. Error E7D1001D: unable to open. Error EBAB03F1: access is denied."

On the Mac side in Disk Utility, I have erased the new disk using the "Zero Out Data" option, and the status information for this disk is: write status: read/write; s.m.a.r.t. status: verified; partition map scheme: GUID Partition Table.

Basically, the newly installed hard disk seems to have read and write status on the Mac side but not on the Windows 7 side.

Thanks for any tips on how to make Norton Ghost read this disk as read/write within Windows 7.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: New Hard Disk Problem with Norton Ghost
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 7:36pm

@
jfiughy

Would you like to try this? From Win7.

1. Open a command prompt as administrator (Right click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”

2. Find the drive number of your new Hard Drive by typing the following into the Command Prompt window:

diskpart
      list disk
      The number of your new drive will be listed. You’ll need this for the next step.  I’ll assume that the new drive is disk 2.

3. Format the drive by typing the following instructions into the same window. Replace the number “2” with the number of your disk.

list disk    (already done)
      select disk 2
      list disk    (to confirm. There will be a Star next to the selected disk)
      clean
      create partition primary
      select partition 1
      active
      format fs=NTFS quick 
      assign
      exit

Does Ghost like this better?

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 1:25am

I've got it working now with MS-DOS (FAT) selected in the Partition - Format window, and Master Boot Record selected in the Partition - Options window.

However, I find that the Data Backup option in Norton Ghost doesn't want to work. In this case, I'm only selecting one music folder to backup on the same drive that the Windows 7 operating system is backed up on. The error message is: "no files matched the backup criteria," but I've selected the "My Music" folder that contains only music files in mp3 and wave formats.

Not sure why Norton Ghost isn't accepting this backup of one folder. Thanks for any tips.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 1:54am

@
jfiughy

I thought you were trying to do an image backup (Recovery Point). Ghost 15 has one of the worst Files and Folders backup modules around. My advice is to avoid it.

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 12:02pm

I've now completed a full system disk image backup of the Windows 7 operating system with Norton Ghost 15 on another physical disk drive, and now I'm trying to create a restore point for a particular music folder on Windows 7.

To address your point, I suppose I could use Norton Ghost to create a restore point of the entire Windows 7 operating system, "instead" of using Ghost to "backup" the entire operating sytem. As you know, Windows 7 itself has restore point capability, but my limited experience with it has shown it to be not overly reliable.

It seems odd that Norton Ghost would be good at restore points but not as a backup of the entire operating system.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 4:00pm

jfiughy wrote on Jun 17th, 2010 at 12:02pm:
I've now completed a full system disk image backup of the Windows 7 operating system with Norton Ghost 15 on another physical disk drive

That is a recovery point. An image.

now I'm trying to create a restore point for a particular music folder on Windows 7

That is not a recovery point. It is a Files and Folder backup.

I suppose I could use Norton Ghost to create a restore point of the entire Windows 7 operating system, "instead" of using Ghost to "backup" the entire operating sytem.

I'm not sure what you mean.

You only need to use Ghost to create a Recovery Point of your OS partition. If needed, you can extract single files and folders from the recovery point. The recovery point doesn't necessarily have to be restored to get at a small amount of data. If you have data in a non OS partition I suggest you back it up with a non Ghost application. Such as the free Karen's Replicator if it's a Windows partition. I use Second Copy 7.

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 6:59pm

Thanks for correcting my terminology.

So if I understand you correctly, you use Norton Ghost for Recovery Points, and Second Copy 7 for a Files and Folder backup.

Another good point from you: the image recovery point of Windows 7 I've made using Norton Ghost is on a separate hard disk "without" an OS. And since this recovery hard disk has no operating system attached to it, you're saying not to use Norton Ghost for this purpose. In other words, Norton Ghost works best if it is creating an image recovery point onto a separate hard disk that has an operating system on it. Right?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 7:14pm

@
jfiughy

Ghost can create images (recovery points) of OS and non OS partitions. The images can be written to any partition you like but they shouldn't be written to a partition on the same HD as the partition that was imaged. Not that it can't be done but if the HD fails you lose your source and the image backup.

I didn't mean to imply an OS has to be on the HD containing the image. The target HD for an image is typically a second internal HD, an external HD or optical media (not ideal).

For my C: drive I create images. No file backups are done.
For my D: drive (data) I use Second Copy 7 although it could be backed up by an image. I find Second Copy 7 to be much faster and use less backup space than imaging.

You might be interested in Dan Goodell's article on backups and separating data from the OS. I don't store data in the C: drive. It is all in the D: drive.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#note13

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 9:22pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Presumably, you feel Norton Ghost is acceptable software for creating a disk image of an os that is stored on another hard disk. And, for whatever reason, Norton Ghost isn't good at creating data backups. As you said in an earlier posting on this thread: "Ghost 15 has one of the worst Files and Folders backup modules around. My advice is to avoid it."

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 9:46pm

That's correct. Ghost 15 is great for creating and restoring images (recovery points). It is also great for doing Copy Drive as long as you have installed the latest Live Update and you don't try to copy into a partition with a drive letter.

But avoid the Files and Folders module.

I mentioned earlier about not storing backup images on the same HD. If the HD fails you lose the OS and backup. For laptops it is reasonable to keep a backup image on the HD (in a non OS partition) in case it needs to be restored while you are "on the road". Most restores are for OS software problems, not for HD failure. But keep a copy of the backup image on another HD.

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 10:59pm

I'm all set now.
I've created a disk image of Windows 7 on a separate hard drive with Norton Ghost, backed up Windows 7 folders on a separate hard drive with Karen's replicator, used online backup with Dropbox, and backed up data with cd's/dvd's stored off site.

Thanks again for the support, information and interest.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2010 at 11:16pm

@
jfiughy

Excellent. Sounds good.

I forgot to ask, do you have the 100 MB System Reserved Partition that often accompanies Win7?

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 12:23am

I'm not sure, I'll have to look into that. For now, I can say that I have the Home Premium version of Windows 7.

Here is a forum discussion about the 100 MB System Restored Partition that I just found.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/e5ff9492-c76...

Looks like another factor I'll have to consider if I have this partition system.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 12:58am

@
jfiughy

It is a pain but it is easy to remove.

The SRP is the Active, System partition. When you restore an image you must remember Win7 is NOT the Active partition so don't use "Set Active" for Win7 if a SRP is present. The SRP will need the "Set Active" option. Have a look in Disk Management and if a SRP is present, create an image of that partition with Ghost 15. You may have to tick, "Show hidden drives" in Ghost to make it visible.

If you don't have a SRP, that is preferable. One less thing to cause problems.

IP Logged

jfiughy
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2010 at 4:18pm

Here is a screenshot of my Disk Management window.

disk_management.jpg (145 KB | 668 )
disk_management.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print