Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem when copying hard drive (Read 4651 times)
WillM
N00b

I Love Radified!

Problem when copying hard drive
Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:52pm

Recently I have been trying to copy all the contents of my 80GB HD to a much larger 500GB HD using Ghost 10.0 on Windows XP. When the copy finished and was booted up on both HDs the screen froze and came up with the blue XP screen and a small windows logo in the middle. Anyone have a solution?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Problem when copying hard drive
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:06pm

@
WillM

That is a spot diagnosis. We've seen it so many times because of the poor documentation in the Ghost userguide.

But let me ask you a few questions first.

Did you create a partition on the new HD before you performed Copy Drive?
After Copy Drive had completed, did you remove the old HD from the computer before the first boot from the new HD?
Or did you boot from the new HD with both HDs in the computer?
Or something else?

IP Logged

WillM
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 7:25am

I formatted the new HD first (single partition). I never could get a successful copy of the drive by just mounting the new drive in the PC with the source drive running Ghost and copying itself to the destination drive. So, I used a second PC to do the copy - source drive and destination drive were mounted as second and third drives.  I then inserted just the new drive in the PC and it booted XP then went to the small logo and froze.  I then inserted the original source hard drive in to the unit and booted and it did the same thing.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 8:21am

@
WillM

Thanks for the details. The Ghost userguide is disappointing in its description of how to do Copy Drive. It should say "You must NOT copy into a partition with a drive letter". That is where a lot of people come unstuck. Copy Drive is only successful if you copy into a partition without a drive letter or if you copy into unallocated space.

OK. How to fix your drive letter problem. Quite easily fortunately. Zero the Disk Signature and let WinXP reassign drive letters.

Here is a cookbook approach to zeroing the Disk Signature. Two methods.

1... Using Method #3   http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm#method3

Use a Win98 floppy (or a Win98SE floppy). At the A: prompt, type fdisk /mbr and press ENTER. You won't see anything happen. It just goes back to the A: prompt.

As most people don't have floppy drives, you can also use a Win98 boot CD from...

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html

Get the Win98SE_bootdisk.iso. Burn the ISO file with ImgBurn. Use the same method. Type fdisk /mbr at the A: prompt and press ENTER.

2... Using Clear Sig. Download BootIt NG. There is a one month trial usage. Unzip the file and make a boot CD.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

double click makedisk.exe, next
dot in I accept the agreement, next
dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
dot in VESA Video, next
dot in Partition Work (Don't put a dot in Normal), next
don't choose any Default Device Options (if necessary, these can be chosen in BING), next
leave Registration strings blank, next
select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
Finish

Boot from the CD....

the BootIt NG CD boots to the Work with Partitions window
Using the radio buttons on the left side of the Work with Partitions window, select the appropriate hard drive. (It should  be HD 0)
click the "View MBR" button.
click the "Clear Sig" button. Then click OK on the Notice.
click the "Apply" button.
click the "View MBR" button again and confirm the number in the left bottom corner is 0x00000000
click Cancel
click Close on the "Work with Partitions" window
click Reboot and remove the CD

Please let us know the outcome.

IP Logged

WillM
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 12:35pm

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much for your help Smiley

IP Logged