Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
copy laptop hard drive (Read 7384 times)
rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

copy laptop hard drive
Sep 19th, 2010 at 12:56pm

I have g12 and win7 os on a 160 g hd. Can I clone this hard drive to another hd in a usb enclosure attached to my usb port. I tried it and it seemed to work, but when booting it is very slow and stops at preparing desktop. Backup and restore using g12 and win 7 works ok.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: copy laptop hard drive
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 3:38pm

@
rleescott

I suspect you created a partition with a drive letter on the external HD and copied into this partition. Correct?

rleescott wrote on Sep 19th, 2010 at 12:56pm:
stops at preparing desktop

Does it ever get into Win7 proper?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 10:16am

It never gets past preparing desktop except for a blank blue screen, not a bsod.
I did not deliberately assign a drive letter, but as I recall, it may have done so with the option greyed out so I could not override.
Are you saying that it should work ok?
If the drive is dynamic, does that matter. I have run into alternate software that won't proceed because of dynamic disk.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 10:19am

Also, I forgot to mention, I tried a second time and it wouldn't copy over the existing copy until I deleted the drive and made it unallocated space. It then proceeded to copy and said succeeded, but it malfunction just like the first copy.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 4:54pm

@
rleescott

"Preparing your desktop" followed by a blank dull grey blue screen is a drive letter issue usually due to cloning into a partition with a drive letter. See Rule #1.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

With Win7, the drive letter issue can be corrected by zeroing the disk signature and editing the BCD store.

Your second attempt should not have resulted in a drive letter issue. Cloning into unallocated space is correct. But you have several potential issues. The only Ghost said to be compatible with Win7 is Ghost 15. Cloning to a USB external HD occasionally fails due to BIOS geometry problems. What brand is your computer?

You are fortunate that your Ghost 12 works for backup/restore.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 10:02am

Thanks for the reply. The laptop is a dell lattitude d530.
I tried again, this time instead of formatting i deleted the partition and created unallocated space, but did not format. I then copied and received copy successful. On reboot it asked for the os disc to repair startup, and then boots normally. If I didn't have the repair disc it would have been unsuccessful.
3 questions remain:
1)If copying to usb is problematic sometimes, what is the more reliable alternative for laptops with one hd?
2)Are ghost users expected to be almost able to clone, providing we have a repair disc or os disc? This sounds like a 2 step cloning requirement which, to me, isn't a complete clone. I have tried some freeware which produces a complete clone in one step, and it actually works.
3) Does dynamic disc matter to ghost, as it does with some freeware?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2010 at 4:10pm

As your Ghost 12 is not compatible with Win7 I'm surprised that it works at all. A typical incompatibility is having to do a Startup Repair after the procedure as the BCD store hasn't been updated.

I only use Copy Drive in tests. I find image/restore is much more flexible when upgrading to a larger HD and it works with laptops that have geometry issues with USB HDs. Dells don't have geometry issues.

Ghost 15 supports dynamic disks. I'm not sure about earlier Ghosts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print