Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help (Read 8962 times)
tdee
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Need help
Oct 7th, 2010 at 5:10am

Would this be possible. I have an older Dell laptop that the HD is about to go out. Can I remove the HD and install it in my system as another drive and clone the drive to say another Hard drive? I have a an adapter that I can connect to the laptop drive where it will connect to my PC. I want to clone the drive to the new HD so I can use it without loading windows. This older HD has the hidden partition and I was hoping I could save it. Thanks, tdee

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Re: Need help
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:42pm

I'm not sure if creating a drive to drive clone will work connected in that way, but creating old drive image and then restoring that image to new drive should work.  Once I created an image of a Dell laptop drive to external usb drive and restored the image to the new drive which is easier at least for me, and it worked fine.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 3:17pm

@
tdee

Tator's method is the way to go. Your method would probably produce a non-bootable drive.

Or you could perform a reverse clone. Old HD in a USB enclosure and new HD mounted in your laptop.

IP Logged

tdee
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:28pm

The one big problem I have is the drive I want to clone has bad sectors and I know it is not going to last much longer. I just used the image from the dell PC restore and it worked but it locks up a lot and does not respond sometimes when I click a program. I thought if I could maybe remove the HD from the laptop and install it in my PC then maybe I could clone it or use ghost and make an image. I know this is a long shot but wanted to at least try to make an image.

IP Logged

tdee
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:30pm

Tator, when you did the Dell did it have the hidden partition?

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 5:13am

tdee wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 5:10am:
Can I remove the HD and install it in my system as another drive and clone the drive to say another Hard drive? I have a an adapter that I can connect to the laptop drive where it will connect to my PC.

Just to be clear, you're proposing to remove the laptop HDD, connect it internally to a desktop machine via 2.5-to-3.5 IDE adapter, and do your copying/cloning from the desktop machine?

Yes, that will work.  As tator suggested, you often get more consistent results by using images rather than direct cloning.  As Brian hinted at, direct cloning works best when the target (the new HDD) is physically installed where it's eventually supposed to be, so you don't always get satisfactory results when you build the new HDD elsewhere and later move it into its intended destination.

tdee wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:28pm:
I just used the image from the dell PC restore and it worked . . .

Okay, so that sounds like you don't have anything on the old, previously used XP installation that you're trying to save.  If you've already used DSR (Dell's PC Restore system), whatever used to be there has already been obliterated and you're back to square one--the XP installation as originally shipped by Dell.

In that case, you don't need to try and clone the entire HDD, all you really need to save is the hidden DSR system.  Transfer that to the new HDD and use that to rebuild the active XP partition.  Trying to clone your old HDD's active XP partition won't give you anything different.

My plan of attack would be to:
  • move the old laptop HDD into your host desktop;
  • unhide the two Dell partitions (DellUtility and DellRestore);
  • image them to a temporary directory on the host;
  • swap the new laptop HDD for the old HDD in the host desktop;
  • partition it (include empty partitions for two Dell partitions);
  • restore the two Dell partitions from the saved images;
  • use my Dsrfix utility to repair the Dell MBR and DSR setup;
  • move new laptop HDD into the laptop;
  • use the DSR system to restore the active XP partition;
  • apply further XP updates, your programs, etc.

What model Dell is the laptop?  How big is the old (failing) HDD?  How big is the new replacement HDD?  What cloning/imaging software will you be using?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print