Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
External mouse on laptop (Read 10270 times)
Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

External mouse on laptop
Feb 27th, 2011 at 4:25pm

If I connect a USB 'trackball' type mouse to my laptop, will it coexist peacefully with the integrated touch pad?  What if I have to install drivers for the trackball?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: External mouse on laptop
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 11:38pm

@
Dirk B

Quote:
will it coexist peacefully with the integrated touch pad?

May depend on the brand/model laptop--but, I suspect it will--if it works the same way my laptop works.  Also may depend on what mouse driver software is being used.

The touch pad on my Dell Dimension laptop is wired internally to appear as a PS/2 port (serial port) with a *Logitech-compatible Mouse*.  If I go into *Device Manager*, it is listed under the category *Mice and other pointing devices*

And, my optical USB mouse that is hooked up at the same time is listed in *Device Manager* under the category *Human Interface Devices* as a *USB Optical WheelMouse*.

And, in *Control Panel > Mouse*, both devices are listed in the drop down box under the *Devices* tab (I'm using a Logitech mouse driver on the laptop--so I don't know if that makes any difference?):

--Pointing device on PS/2 port
--Wheel Mouse on a USB port

What brand/model laptop are you using?  How are your mice listed on your system?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 12:59am

I have a Toshiba Satellite.  Curently only have the touchpad which is listed as Synaptics PS/2 port touchpad, in device manager.  I'm running Win XP.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2011 at 9:04am

For the most part, your trackball looks the same to windows as any standard mouse.

If both pointing devices are enabled, just make sure you don't touch the 'touchpad' on the PC while using the trackball.
To disable the 'touchpad' DE-Select the Synaptics program from starting on boot.

In times past, I've even put two mice on the same computer, one set to standard buttons and one set to reverse the buttons for a left handed person.

On this PC, I have a USB Microsoft Digital Wheel mouse for working in Windows and a PS2 wheel mouse for use in Ghost, under DOS, with Mouse.com as the driver.

I can understand your question, if you've never used two mice at the same time, but it's very common practice.
Try it!

Cheers Mate!
Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Dirk B
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Monterey, CA  USA

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 8:53am

Thanks for the info.  I hope to be trying this out soon.

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2011 at 12:58pm

i have pretty much the same config.

it works no problem.

logitech trackball.

IP Logged