Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

macintosh ghost
Jun 22nd, 2011 at 1:46pm

i am new to mac.

i searched forum and google then i tried  as follows:

removed hd from mac book pro.

put it and another hd in an win xp machine.

booted ghost 2003 from floppy.

did a disk to disk clone.

put clone in mac.

no boot.

has anyone cloned mac successfully with ghost 2003 or ghost32.exe from ghost 11.5 ?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: macintosh ghost
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 7:21pm

you should PM Brian.

he does magic stuff like this withb windows machines, and might have some insight re: mac.

a bit is a bit, right?

a byte is a byte.

so it *should* work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 10:09pm

I'm no help. I've never used a Mac.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 12:56pm

@
wp

Quote:

put clone in mac.

no boot.

I'm not a MAC user--so no personal experience to work from. 

But, Ghost 2003 was designed primarily for Windows based systems.  But, it also works with some Linux based OS's also.  According to the User Guide, if Ghost doesn't *recognize* the file system, then it defaults to doing a *sector by sector* procedure--meaning it does not step in with it's Windows default behaviors where it modifies how the data is backed up or restored.

But, when doing a *disk to disk* procedure--I don't know what the default behavior is.  Ghost will not be attempting to reduce the image file sizes to reduce HDD space used--but, it may still be attempting to bypass certain files to increase the procedures speed.

Also, I don't know how the Master Boot Record of a MAC compares to that of a PC--Ghost's default behavior is to only copy over just the first *absolute sector 0*--leaving out the other 63 sectors of the PC Master Boot Record.  I don't know how many sectors are in the MAC Master Boot Record.  But, you can force Ghost to do a *sector by sector* procedure (and that should include anything in the entire Master Boor Record as well) by using  the *-ia* switch (image all).  So, start Ghost like this:

Quote:
  ghost.exe -ia 

Now re-test to see if the resulting destination HDD will boot.

Let us know how it turns out.

P.S. -- I've heard there are programs for MAC's that are similar to Ghost that can image the MAC HDDs--probably a Google search would find such a program if it's out there:

ghost programs for mac

Norton Ghost for Mac...?

Carbon Copy Cloner

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Rad wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 7:21pm:
you should PM Brian

you should PM Brian

i did a few minutes ago

thank you

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 1:09pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 25th, 2011 at 12:56pm:
@
wp

Quote:

put clone in mac.

no boot.

I'm not a MAC user--so no personal experience to work from. 

But, Ghost 2003 was designed primarily for Windows based systems.  But, it also works with some Linux based OS's also.  According to the User Guide, if Ghost doesn't *recognize* the file system, then it defaults to doing a *sector by sector* procedure--meaning it does not step in with it's Windows default behaviors where it modifies how the data is backed up or restored.

But, when doing a *disk to disk* procedure--I don't know what the default behavior is.  Ghost will not be attempting to reduce the image file sizes to reduce HDD space used--but, it may still be attempting to bypass certain files to increase the procedures speed.

Also, I don't know how the Master Boot Record of a MAC compares to that of a PC--Ghost's default behavior is to only copy over just the first *absolute sector 0*--leaving out the other 63 sectors of the PC Master Boot Record.  I don't know how many sectors are in the MAC Master Boot Record.  But, you can force Ghost to do a *sector by sector* procedure (and that should include anything in the entire Master Boor Record as well) by using  the *-ia* switch (image all).  So, start Ghost like this:

Quote:
  ghost.exe -ia 

Now re-test to see if the resulting destination HDD will boot.

Let us know how it turns out.

P.S. -- I've heard there are programs for MAC's that are similar to Ghost that can image the MAC HDDs--probably a Google search would find such a program if it's out there:

ghost programs for mac

Norton Ghost for Mac...?

Carbon Copy Cloner

i will try all of the above.

thank you

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 11:43am

I've mentioned this once or twice before and got ripped for it, but, for just one last time.....

When Ghost 2003 was written, Windows XP was the OS of the day and Ghost 2003 worked beautifully, for backing it up, along with ME and 98.  No problems!

Then along came Vista, where something changed in the boot sector ( or some such ) that made a backup copy made with Gho 2003 un-bootable.
I know, I've heard about fixes for that, but without a FIX, it didn't work.

Enter Ghost 11.5....... it works GREAT for backing up Vista and Win-7 and is backward compatible for XP, ME and 98.

It looks and runs exactly like 2003, but is too big to fit on a single floppy disk.  But, it runs just fine from a Flash Drive or CD.

I still use Ghost 2003, on a floppy disk for backing up my XP machine, but Ghost 11.5 on a Flash Drive for backing up Win-7 and Ubuntu.

The advantage of using Ghost 2003 on a floppy, is that it will offer to put itself on a CD/DVD in the boot sector, when backing up to those type of disks, thus making the backup disk, boot to Ghost, for a one disk restore.
It will also SPAN to multiple CD/DVD's if there's that much data to back up.  I always use HIGH compression when backing up to DVD's.

I've never had a chance to try to backup a MAC, so I don't know if Ghost 11.5 would work for that or not.  I'd be glad to hear from anyone who's tried it.  I've been told that a MAC will not boot from a DOS or IBM type boot disk. Eh?

Old Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 6:51pm

thank everyone for the help.  but no go.

I was trying ghost 2003 because i own it and have had good results with windows.

i have macbook notebook.  i removed hard drive and tried to do a disk to disk clone booting from floppy in a pc desktop. 

no go.  tried same with ghost.exe -ia.  same result. 

i downloaded free carbon copy cloner and will try that after i buy an external hard drive enclosure.

thanks again
alan

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 4:14pm

Rad wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 7:21pm:
a bit is a bit, right?

a byte is a byte.

so it *should* work. 

Maybe, but many--probably most--programs read and write words and double-words at a time, and a PC word is not necessarily a Mac word.  I have no direct experience with a Mac, but I've heard the CPUs in Macs have historically stored words and double-words in big-endian order.  That's opposite the way Intel CPUs do it.

To illustrate further, PC boot sectors and the MBR end with a signature word, AA55h.  Intel CPUs store the two bytes of this word as 55h followed by AAh.  If you examine your MBR with a sector editor (such as Roadkil's SecEdit), you'll see the sector ending in 55-AA.  I'm told Macs would store this word as AA-55.

So, it would seem the bottom line is that programs designed for PCs do not necessarily understand disk sectors written by a Mac.

My information could be dated, though, as it comes from the past when Macs were predominantly Motorola-based, so I don't know if the situation has changed with the more modern Intel Macs.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 11:30pm

followup

ghost 11.5 disk to disk copy had problems, especially partition size incorrect.

i learned and used carbon cloner and will continue to use it for mac.

i like pc's a lot better

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print