Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to recover a dual boot (Read 26538 times)
Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Re: How to recover a dual boot
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 4:08pm

Brain,

So what is BootIt BM, I bought BING back on 7-20-10 so to be clear, I can get BootIt BM free of charge? I did see the link.
If I'm following correctly this is a upgrade to BING? I don't remember having a CD, I down loaded it and I did have email from David F.
TeraByte Unlimited This what he said.

Hello,

You need to extract all the files in the bootitng.zip file to a single
folder then run makedisk from that folder.

Brain could you refresh my memory, as I don't remember. I do have folder with the name BING, so I must have made a disc to boot from, yes?

Brian wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:14am:
Bill,

When you install BootIt BM you will also have Image for DOS (GUI). It is included in the BootIt partition. It has a nice feature called Entire Drive imaging. You can create a single image of your 3 partitions from BootIt. This single image can be restored to a new HD in a single restore procedure and the new HD will be partitioned identically to the old. In addition you can restore this image to the same HD if you deem that necessary and the restore can be run from a single mouse click. I have this system on my test computer, with a whole series of images for various OS setups. Let's say I want Win7 with WAIK, I can just restore that with a single click. WinXP, Ubuntu, Win7 with Ghost, etc. My test computer doesn't have a large enough HD to have multiple OS installed so I do it this way. It's easy. One click and a few minutes later I have a new OS. WinXP restore takes one minute. Win7 restore takes three minutes.

In addition, you can restore individual partitions from your entire drive image.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 5:56pm

Bill,

Sorry to confuse you with BootIt BM. It has nothing to do with your current issue of doing a test restore to your spare HD. I just mentioned BM as an upgrade to be done at your leisure.

Yes, when you are ready unzip the BM download, run makedisk.exe, it will instruct you to insert a CD, etc. Then boot from the BM CD and follow the upgrade instructions. I can provide better instructions later.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 8:53pm

Bill,

File these instructions away for later.

Making a BootIt BM CD..

double click makedisk.exe, next
dot in BootIt Bare Metal, next
dot in I accept the agreement, next
tick Image for DOS (GUI)
tick Scripting Support, next
dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
dot in VESA Video, next
dot in Video Mode 1024*768 - 64K Colors, next
dot in Normal, next
don't choose any Device Options, next
tick in Enable USB 1.1 (UHCI), next
tick in Align Partitions at 2KiB
tick in Use Windows 7 MBR, next
ignore Additional bootitbm.ini Options, next
enter your BM license details
select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
Finish

Upgrading installed BING to BM

boot from the BootIt BM CD
Setup... put a tick in Remove the BootIt NG Files after upgrading, click OK
Setup... Click OK to begin
Setup... click OK to Setup completed successfully
click Close
Setup... Remove the boot CD and click OK to restart
BM will boot and you should see your old Boot Menu
click Maintenance
click Boot Edit and then choose Edit (for each boot item) to confirm everything is correct. It should be. click OK
Done!

IP Logged

Emily Chapman
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #18 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 7:55pm

I think Brian's following advice will work. Try it and please share the outcome so that we can learn accordingly. Can I suggest to start the computer in safe mode and then try? What do you think?
Brian wrote on Sep 2nd, 2011 at 1:14am:
Bill,

When you install BootIt BM you will also have Image for DOS (GUI). It is included in the BootIt partition. It has a nice feature called Entire Drive imaging. You can create a single image of your 3 partitions from BootIt. This single image can be restored to a new HD in a single restore procedure and the new HD will be partitioned identically to the old. In addition you can restore this image to the same HD if you deem that necessary and the restore can be run from a single mouse click. I have this system on my test computer, with a whole series of images for various OS setups. Let's say I want Win7 with WAIK, I can just restore that with a single click. WinXP, Ubuntu, Win7 with Ghost, etc. My test computer doesn't have a large enough HD to have multiple OS installed so I do it this way. It's easy. One click and a few minutes later I have a new OS. WinXP restore takes one minute. Win7 restore takes three minutes.

In addition, you can restore individual partitions from your entire drive image.

Sincere Regards,
Emily Chapman
Peak District Hotels
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 9:17pm

Emily Chapman wrote on Sep 4th, 2011 at 7:55pm:
What do you think?

More spam!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 6:42pm

Bill,

Any news for us?

IP Logged

Mr Moose
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Wisconsin

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 4:02pm

Brian,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, the problem with the possible virus was cleaned up and not the the problem that I thought it was. Then I started a new project and the whole thing got put on the back burner.

I do have a question, with the duel boot setup in place, how do boot either OS to safe mode?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 12:12am

@
Moose

No different from a single boot. After you click Enter in the BING boot menu, start tapping F8.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print