Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

NightOwl quote
Sep 15th, 2011 at 2:11pm

Thought of NightOwl when I read this quote:

Quote:
“Better to ask a question than to remain ignorant.”

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/better_to_ask_a_question_than_to_remain_ignorant...

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: NightOwl quote
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:22pm

Yeah, food for thought, isn't it?

Now put that in the context of our politicians, who seem to have all the answers without asking any questions.

Or, how about our lawyers, who have a courtroom saying, "Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to."

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:45am

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/the_trade_of_governing_has_always_been/328451.ht...

Quote:
“The trade of governing has always been monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of mankind.”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:48am

@
Rad

Looking for quotes--for some reason?

Quote:
“Better to ask a question than to remain ignorant.”

Seems like a good corollary to my signature line!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 10:37am

@
Dan Goodell

Quote:
Now put that in the context of our politicians, who seem to have all the answers without asking any questions.

.... or *knowing* anything about which they are giving the *answers* to!

Can't be thinking about Sarah Palinisms like *I can see Russia from my back door* to support her foreign policy experience!

Or, Michele Bachmannisms like *A person came up to me last week and said her child got a vaccination for the HPV virus and it caused her to develop metal retardation* as a valid reason to be against vaccinations--especially mandated vaccinations--  http://thehill.com/video/campaign/182139-bachmann-says-hpv-vaccine-could-have-da... .

Quote:
"it's something that could have dangerous side effects."

I have no doubt that in some individuals, a vaccination can have serious side effects--but, how about the greater serious side effect of *not* getting a HPV vaccination--cervical cancer, and throat and neck cancers (I did not know about that until I saw a NBC news report that says oral sexual contact can spread the HPV virus to the throat and can lead to cancers in that region!).  If you look at the statistics, far greater numbers of individuals *die* from these cancers than are ever effected in a serious way by the vaccine.

Again, I understand that certain individuals will have negative side effects from a given vaccination--and Bachmann's stand that people should have the right to decide about whether to have a vaccination or not--*freedom* and individual *rights*--but, how about the rest of us who are exposed to these preventable diseases--or the costs to society as a whole when we have to care for these folks after they develop their cancers vs the $15-$20 dollar vaccine cost (I don't know the actual cost for the HPV vaccine shot--but, it can't be the costs associated with treating cancers!)

(And, by the way, having the *freedom* to choose whether to get vaccinated or not, will not change the potential of having a serious side effect--either from the vaccine or the disease if you don't get vaccinated--but you definitely reduce the potential to have a serious side effect from the disease if you do get the vaccination--just for the record!)

Quote:
"I wasn't speaking as a doctor, I wasn't speaking as a scientist. I was just relating what this woman said."

No--you were speaking as a politician, spinning the facts to promote your agenda--which isn't necessarily for the benefits of the majority--real presidential material!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:59pm

Quote:
"it's something that could have dangerous side effects."

Sounds like a good definition for ignorance.

Quote:
"I wasn't speaking as a doctor, I wasn't speaking as a scientist. I was just relating what this woman said."

Reminds me of a feature story I read several years ago, in which the magazine was attempting to frame the global warming issue (which Carl Rove tried to rename "climate change").  In their quest to appear (ahem) fair and balanced, on one side of the debate the magazine interviewed several scientists involved in climate research.  On the other side they interviewed Rush Limbaugh!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print