Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NG15: External hard drive became an alias! (Read 11161 times)
Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

NG15: External hard drive became an alias!
Feb 2nd, 2012 at 5:27pm

My external HD "MY_D" died!  It was only being used only to back up my C: drive, so I gave the new drive the same name "MY_D".  The odd thing is that NG15 will only address this drive as "MY_D (2)" and tells me that MY_D is not available.  It's not a big deal since everything works fine, but how can I get NG to see the drive as MY_D?

Thanks, Bill

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: NG15: External hard drive became an alias!
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 9:29pm

NG15 is smarter than you think. It has a way of identifying drives. It knows the new drive is not the old drive. And this is actually good for you, cuz you dont want NG to get confused.

Leave it as v2.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2012 at 2:32pm

Bill,

This should work if "MY_D (2)" is annoying you. Clear the Ghost history.

Right click Computer, Manage, Services and Applications, Services. Stop the Norton Ghost Service. Then go to (if Win7) C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Norton Ghost\History and delete all the .PQH files that are present. Then restart the Norton Ghost service and reboot.

You will have to set-up your Ghost backups again.

IP Logged

Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:23am

Brian wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 2:32pm:
This should work if "MY_D (2)" is annoying you.

I'm only annoyed at myself for not being able to fix the problem myself.

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.  This is not a big deal though, so I think I'll just ignore it.  Thanks for your effort!

- Bill

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:16pm

@
Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:23am:
I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.

Well, if deleting Ghost's *history memory* doesn't make Ghost forget--then I have to think Ghost is getting its HDD info from the Windows Registry.

There's a registry key whose data you can delete and force WinXP to re-initialize all the devices with assigned drive letters (and names ?)--I don't know if that same key exists for Win Vista or Win7.  What Windows version are you using?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Bill Mullin
Dude

Tucson, AZ

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:51am

NightOwl wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 11:16pm:
What Windows version are you using?

Win7 Home Premium SP1 (x64).  BTW - NG is the only program that sees the new HD as MY_D (2),  other programs just identify the drive as MY_D.

Here's an interesting side note to the new external HD experience.  My old USB-2 external HD took 37:17 (minutes:seconds) to back up my C: drive.  The new external HD is a USB-3 model and backs up the same C: drive in 13:45 . . . 63% less time!   Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2012 at 10:36am

@
Bill Mullin

Sorry I've been so slow to get back--had trouble finding my previous info on how to make WinXP loose its *memory* on drive letter assignment.

Bill Mullin wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:51am:
BTW - NG is the only program that sees the new HD as MY_D (2),other programs just identify the drive as MY_D.

To be honest, I don't know if this applies to Win7 and Ghost v15.x--but, you could give it a try and report back if it has any effect.  It involves editing the Registry--so you want a back up of the Registry that you know you can restore (even if you can not boot Win7), or a backup of the OS partition with Ghost that you are sure you can restore before muckin' around with the Registry....so here goes....

So, first of all--find out if Win7's Registry has this key:  *[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices]*.

Start RegEdit (does Win7 have this program?) and see if MountedDevices is there.

This list in WinXP will have all the HDD drive letter assignments, and all the USB devices that are being remembered by WinXP as well.  Now, if you mount more USB devices over time and other USB devices have been disconnected and not used recently, WinXP will start to discard previous drive letter assignments to USB devices and re-using those drive letters for other USB devices--I don't know exactly what triggers that behavior--but, I've seen it happen.

So, if you want WinXP to *loose* its memory of drive letter assignments for all devices, and have it re-learn what devices are mounted, and re-assign drive letters to those devices, you simply highlite the Mounted Devices listed in the right hand column of RegEdit and delete them.  Here are screen shots showing the procedure:

If you have previously manually assigned drive letters to any device--for instance changing an optical drive to drive letter *X:*, then you will have to re-do that using DiskManagement again.

As you can see in the screen shot, there are *volume* IDs and *DOSDevices* drive letters--it may be that Win7 no longer has that *legacy* listing--but, maybe if it still has some backward compatibility with programs still wanting *DOS* based information.  There are no Partition Names (drive names?) listed in WinXP, but perhaps Win7 has something different.

And, I don't know if NG15 is using that Registry key to match up previously seen USB devices with a list of assigned partition or HDD names--but, this may have something to do with it.

Let us know what you find out if you try this technique!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print