Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 batch script? (Read 16226 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Ghost 10 batch script?
Aug 1st, 2012 at 6:31pm

Here's an email from user named Paul, who has trouble registering:

Quote:
My uncle has asked me to extract digital photos he has stored in various places in Ghost 10 images so that his wife can access them. Is there a batch script that I can run against several Ghost images and scan them for photos and videos and copy those files to a NAS or other drive.  I'm not sure how many images or photos nor where in the images the photos might be located in those Ghost images.

I was thinking that I could mount the Ghost image at a drive letter, let Windows Photo Gallery (or Picasa or ???) scan the drive and 'import' the photos to a location on a NAS then unmount the drive and move on to the next Ghost image.  Since there are 30+ *.gho files I'de rather let the computer do it than do it myself

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 10 batch script?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:26am

@
Rad

I know one can use file manager programs to scan a folder, partition (drive), or whole disk with multiple partitions (drives) to find a specific file or use wild card place holders to find any file with a certain extension or matching string within a file name--but, it will take someone who has a lot more computer savvy then me to answer whether that can all be *scripted*.

But, the brief quote by the questioner raises questions (what's new!  Wink ):

Quote:
he has stored in various places in Ghost 10 images

Okay--Ghost 10 image files.

Quote:
I was thinking that I could mount the Ghost image at a drive letter

I believe that's an option--Ghost 10 image files can be mounted and given a drive letter.  And, as stated above, any good file manager program should now be able to search that assigned drive letter.  (I've never used Ghost 10 and mounted an image file to assign a drive letter--what happens if the image is of multiple partitions?  Does each partition get assigned a drive letter?  Brian--are you looking in on this thread?)

Quote:
Since there are 30+ *.gho files

So, now the questions:

1.  Ghost 10 does not create *.gho* files.  That file extension is used in the old consumer Ghost versions that ended with Ghost 2003, and the Corporate versions of Ghost that is still available, but not at the consumer level.

*.gho* image file sets can be opened in *Ghost Explorer* and individual files and folders can be extracted and saved/restored to a specified destination--but I don't know if there is a *search* function  in Ghost Explorer--probably there is--I'll have to check that.  (Yes there is a *Find* function--but it finds only the first instance, and you have to do a *Find Next* function to go to the next instance.  Some *better* file manager programs will search and list *all* file/folders that match the search string.)

A Ghost image set (multiple *.gho files, or *.gho* plus *.ghs* files) can not be mounted in Windows and assigned a drive letter--so using Ghost Explorer is the only option for these Ghost files.

Quote:
My uncle has asked me to extract digital photos he has stored in various places in Ghost 10 images so that his wife can access them.

Ghost images have to have a *source*--I'm assuming here that those digital photos stored in various places in Ghost 10 images means that the original source on the HDD have been deleted and are no longer available--yes?

Quote:
there are 30+ *.gho files

Are we talking about one backup Ghost file set with 30 files--or are we talking about 30 different Ghost Image file sets that may contain 1 or more files per backup image set?

If we are talking about 30 separate image backup *sets*--not just one image file set--are these Ghost images from a single source--or multiple sources.  If a single source--then the various backups will have *redundant* copies of the photos--so only need to search the most recent file set before the photos where *deleted* (?) from the source.

Quote:
script that I can run against several Ghost images and scan them for photos and videos

If we are talking about *.gho* files--until the more recent Corporate versions of Ghost--*.gho* files were limited to 2 GB file sizes--a DOS limitation.  Using Ghost Explorer to extract large *video* files has been known to fail if a video file is stored across multiple *.gho* and/or *.ghs* files.  The work around here required restoring the image set with the large video file to a spare HDD, and then copying and/or moving the large file to a new location for use.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:28am

@
Rad

Quote:
Here's an email from user named Paul, who has trouble registering:

What problem is he having?  We can *manually* register someone if need be.......

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:47pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:26am:
what happens if the image is of multiple partitions?Does each partition get assigned a drive letter? 

Each partition backup has it's own .v2i. I'd mount them one at a time.

I was concerned when I read about the .gho files as they can be created with Ghost 10 but not Ghost 9.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 10:59am

NightOwl wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:28am:
What problem is he having?

he is color-blind and has trouble making out the security code .. tho it uses no color, it's all gray-scale, so i dont see how color blindness would deter. never had/heard that comment before.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 10:06am

@
Rad

Quote:
he is color-blind and has trouble making out the security code .. tho it uses no color, it's all gray-scale, so i dont see how color blindness would deter.

It may be that color blindness may cause greater problems--but, I think the security code (aka Validation Code, or CAPTCHA) settings might be making things somewhat difficult as well. 

When I was testing deleting spam and spammers, I re-registered my deleted *test member*, and to tell you the truth--I had trouble getting the security code (aka Validation Code, or CAPTCHA) correct!  I think it took me 3 or 4 tries before I got it right!  (By the way, I'm not *color blind*--but, from testing I am mildly *color different* or *deficient*--I've been told that I shouldn't pick out clothes color combinations because I see colors *differently* than *color average or normal* folks  Smiley !  So, maybe my color different status is why I had trouble with the CAPTCHA entry as well! )

Looking in the Admin Center/Security Center/Security Settings/Validation Image tab--it looks like there are actual *colors* set for Validation Image Shade color and Background color.  That could, in theory, make the background and foreground colors have a *shade of grey* that a colorblind person would interpret as being the same--so possibly wipes out seeing the correct outline of the letters and numbers of the Validation Code.  That's how the most common *Color Blind Test*, the Ishihara Color Test works!

So, it's probably a combination of the two--the forum settings may be *difficult* to begin with, and the colors create shades of grey that are difficult to differentiate.

Also, I suspect the quality of the monitor may influence the results as well!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 10:21am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Aug 2nd, 2012 at 3:47pm:
I was concerned when I read about the .gho files as they can be created with Ghost 10 but not Ghost 9.

Oh, I forgot about that!  I use the *ghost32.exe* from Ghost 10 all the time to bring up Ghost in Windows to remind me of the sequence of setting up various Ghost procedures!

But, I guess we need to know if Paul's uncle was aware of that *advanced* knowledge about what you can do with the Ghost 10 version.  That's not a *common knowledge* feature of Ghost 10.  And it's not a trivial bit of knowledge as to how to *extract* that *ghost32.exe* from the *Recovery Environment* bootable CD vs always booting to the Recovery Environment to use that Ghost32 program from the Recovery Environment.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 5:14pm

@
NightOwl

Can you read the numbers in the three images in the Dichromacy section?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

My two sons have Protanopia but without the tests you would never know as they can identify all colors. My wife is "Color Blind" (that's unusual) and at times has had unusually colored clothes. 8% of males have a color defect.

Edit... My youngest son read that Verification Code easier than I could.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 10:31am

@
Brian

Quote:
Can you read the numbers in the three images in the Dichromacy section?

Partially!  On these color confusion tests I will often see parts of the numbers, but can't see the whole outline--so have to start guessing  Smiley !

The first one, I see faintly the *37*.

The second one, it's tough--the *4* is half there and I would probably guess that.  But, the *9* is just not there.  I *see something's there*, but if I had to guess, I'd probably say *1* or maybe *7*.

And on the third one, my first impression is *38*, and not *56*! 

Note:  if I *know* what I'm looking for, I can pick out the outline better--but, without that information, I see a lot of confusing blanks in the numbers.

Quote:
My two sons have Protanopia but without the tests you would never know as they can identify all colors.

It's *funny*--I really do see all the colors (well, at least in my head--others might not agree!)--it's the faint hue differences (and that's what are used in these type of tests) that trip me up.

Quote:
Edit... My youngest son read that Verification Code easier than I could.

Have to love those *young* eyes!

Quote:
My wife is "Color Blind" (that's unusual) and at times has had unusually colored clothes.

That is rare!  Must be hard for women--fashions, home decorating, etc. !  People just laugh at my weird color choices--but, I just laugh with them  Cheesy !

Your sons didn't have a chance!  (Well, I guess there could be a long-shot outside chance--would require several genetic mutations which are not likely to happen under normal circumstances!)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 7:35pm

@
NightOwl

Here is an interesting article on color vision in other animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_animals

Whales have only a single cone type and are thus monochromats.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 11:05pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 4th, 2012 at 10:06am:
and to tell you the truth--I had trouble getting the security code (aka Validation Code, or CAPTCHA) correct!

okay, i will dial it back one setting.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2012 at 11:07pm

okay, i changed the following setting from 2 to 1 (it goes from 0 to 9):

Quote:
CAPTCHA background to shade color randomizer level
Could make captcha very hard to read in certain color combinations!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print